PDA

View Full Version : 1st NE to completion

Ken Hill
11-20-2010, 10:14 PM
White Oak NE
5 x2.5x3/16 (tad over)
6 coats of MAO
DNA soak for 36 hours, then wrapped

This is my first NE that ive done to completion. I thought about a few more coats of oil but I really like the wood feel it has.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR2992/1098509487_iM5Hn-L.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR2993/1098509574_kF7Rx-L.jpg

Michael James
11-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Partying and turning? Does it get better? BTW that's a nice one! Good job.

David E Keller
11-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Nicely done... I'd try to keep the irregular bark edge going all the way around the next one. I think the finish looks great.

Keith E Byrd
11-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Very nice!

Ken Hill
11-20-2010, 10:34 PM
David, I agree. Im stoked it turned out which was my goal, and teh ones that are turned now all have the full rim. We discussed this issue today that learning how to chuck up the piece to get just that right look be it grain or in this case, the NE is a learning curve all to itself!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Nicely done Ken! That first one can be booger to not only figure out but to execute.

If you want some excellent examples of perfect NE form, do a member search on Mark Cothren....go to all his threads he started. Primo NE form IMHO. IIRC.....the late Sam Maloof bought one of Mark's NEs while visiting and lecturing in Arkansas.

Keep at it. They will get easier.

Congrats!

Roger Chandler
11-20-2010, 10:48 PM
David, I agree. Im stoked it turned out which was my goal, and teh ones that are turned now all have the full rim. We discussed this issue today that learning how to chuck up the piece to get just that right look be it grain or in this case, the NE is a learning curve all to itself!

Way to go Ken.......Moving forward! You are right.......it is a learning curve, and you will make strides in your work as you both learn from others and make the inevitable mistakes that we all have made along the way.

Congrats on your first Natural Edge bowl! :)

John Keeton
11-21-2010, 7:02 AM
Congrats, Ken!! Nice work on this one. I agree with Ken F. on checking out Mark Cothren's work - very talented guy, and does a fantastic NE form.

Ken Hill
11-21-2010, 9:27 AM
Thanks! I checked out many of his NE postings and they are very nice!

Now a few questions!

I figure some I turn will be thin and to final dimensions, while others I prefer to have a bit thicker. I know there arent any rules but is it more common to see thin or thick or just a hodge podge left to the turner?

I have been soaking the bark in Thin CA, starting at a point I either see there might be a section that could cause issues or I reach the point where I wont be making heavy cuts and need to firm up the NE. Is this the common practice?

I kind of like the thought of turning thin and allowing them to warp, but it does concern me about final sanding and finishing. I know David seems to like to wet sand...I may try that on the next few.

Any suggestions or tips ...im all ears!

Bernie Weishapl
11-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Ken great looking HF. I do use thin CA if I think the bark is not going to stay. I always go thin with mine or if you can call 1/4" or less thin.