PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused

Ray Bell
11-20-2010, 6:55 PM
Is there something in the TOS that does not permit advertising wood blanks in the Classified Forum?

Michael James
11-20-2010, 7:06 PM
I wouldnt think so, but perhaps you should check with sysop or a mod....:confused:

Greg Ketell
11-20-2010, 7:23 PM
The only thing I could find was:

1. Direct Commercial Affiliation
SawmillCreek maintains an active advertising and marketing program. As such, we seek to provide a non-competitive atmosphere for our advertisers by disallowing commercial posts from our members. Posts made by Members with direct commercial affiliation, and with the apparent intent of using SawMill Creek for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service will be subject to removal. Members with direct commercial affiliation are defined to be those Members who stand to benefit financially from such a promotion.
So if someone was advertising blanks from their business without being a "Friend of the Creek", then yes, that is banned.

Also, only "Contributers" can post in the classifieds so if a "member" tried to they would be blocked.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2010, 7:27 PM
The Classified Section is set up for occasional woodworker to woodworker sales or want ads. It is not meant to be used for commercial use.

So....for example, if you had 3 bowl blanks or even 16 you wanted to sell for some reason you could do that....

The problem begins when you own a commercial wood supply company, web page or when in response to someone you say "I don't have anymore but I can get some". Now you are no longer selling "excess" you are going out and purchasing or acquiring more wood to sell.

We have companies that pay for the privilege of advertising their products here at SMC. That helps support this website and keep it alive. It is a combination of Contributor donations and advertising dollars that pay the bills at SawMillCreek.

Moderators are unpaid, invited volunteers. We get nothing for our time from SMC or advertisers...."nada" Zip.....zero.

Keith and Jackie Outten have already had one company go out of business in the process of supporting the Creek. If they should turn a profit with the Creek, they certainly have my support. When you consider this is like dairy farming. They can't take vacations because the cows have to be fed and milked morning and evening. They haven't taken vacation in my time here at the Creek. Part of the reason, is the time they spend performing administration duties that the membership doesn't see and often doesn't appreciate.

It only makes sense that commercial sales cannot take place in the Classifieds Forum because it would be in direct competition with our advertising dollars.

Keep in mind, it looks fishy when you have 7 posts in a year here at the Creek....and everyone is a post in the Classifieds forum....selling turning blanks. Coincidence? Maybe......and maybe trying to pull a fast one on the administration here. We don't know but even members will report these type of things to the Mods.

So yes....you can sell turning blanks....but not if you are a commercial wood supplier......and if it starts to look like a duck...quack like a duck....and waddle like a duck.....we may move your thread to the Moderators Forum and send you a PM.

Steve Schlumpf
11-20-2010, 7:34 PM
I see that Ken already covered what I wanted to say but I will post my 2 cents just the same.

To Ray - and all members - we have been seeing a rash of folks wanting to sell wood both in the Turning Forum and the Classifieds. We have to look at each and every case and determine if it falls in with what the Classifieds Forum was set up for - which is the non-commercial sale of items/tools no longer needed or used - from woodworker to woodworker. As an example - you picked up some turning tools (or wood) that you tried out and for some reason - no longer use the tools or need those particular wood blanks. So - you place an ad to sell them. No problem because once they are sold - you are done.

The problem is when we have folks place ads and they either have a huge quantity of the items being sold (not your typical shop) or replenish the stock as needed to meet the sales demand. At that point - whether the business is licensed or not - we consider it a commercial venture and will pull the ads.

Fred Perreault
11-20-2010, 8:35 PM
I appreciate the work of the mods, and the recent explanations of how the classifieds are supposed to work was clear and to the point. Many of us have had a posting moved to a more relevant forum, and maybe even had a posting removed for one innocuous violation or another (I have been moved to other forums). But in general I love this forum and admire the dedication of the moderators. If anybody is able to generate revenue, and a surplus of same, then I would consider it a well done enterprise. There is a source of information(thanks to all the members) here that could not be duplicated for the price, and would probably require the subscription to many, many magazines and such. Of course, I have never read any of the rules pertaining to the site or forums. And as a result, I have been ticketed a few times, but never jailed. :)

Ray Bell
11-21-2010, 1:41 AM
Ken, and Steve, thank you for the comprehensive explanation. I understand how fly-by-nighters would be competing with due paying Friends Of The Creek. Also thank you, and the other Mods for keeping this forum on the straight and narrow. I have belonged to other forums that have gotten completely out of hand, and it does get rather disgusting.