PDA

View Full Version : Des Moines 2 awesome Woodworking Stores

Jack Diemer
12-29-2004, 9:15 PM
While visiting friends in Des Moines, I decided to check out a couple of local stores.

1st I went to Woodsmith (I think the parent company to August Home Publications and Rockler) , and I must say this is the most impressive woodworking store I have ever in. Here are some of the things the store had.

1. An incredible amount of books and publications for woodworking
2. Almost and piece of woodworking hardware that you would ever need.
3. A very impressive selection of wood
4. A power tool lineup that includes all the major brands, plus General and Festool.
5. and if all that wasn't enough, as you walked out, you could grab as many back issues of ShopNotes and Woodsmith you want as a thank you for shopping.

After nearly 3 hours of me being a kid in a candy store, I decided to check out this other place up the street called Menards and I found another store as impressive as Woodsmith. The wood selection at both places was incredible, and the prices at Menards were dynamite. Home Depot and Lowes could really take note from this place.

In KC we can only get Oak and Birch Plywood at the Big Box stores. At both places you could get Mahogony, Birch, Oak, Chery, and Maple and you could get MDF or plywood Core. Anyway, I think I might have to go back tomorrow on the way out of town.

PS, any of you woodworkers who live in Des Moines are spoiled. I hope you know that.

Ron Jones near Indy
12-29-2004, 9:59 PM
Jack,
When you say Menards, you don't mean the big box Menards that competes with HD and Lowes do you? Nice wood and Menards in the same sentence; can't be the same Menards we have in Indy. :confused:

Steve Roxberg
12-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Were they giving away back issues of the magazines? I have several holes in my collection and my parents live in Des Moines I'll have them stop and pick them up.

George Summers
12-29-2004, 10:50 PM
While visiting friends in Des Moines, I decided to check out a couple of local stores.

1st I went to Woodsmith (I think the parent company to August Home Publications and Rockler) , and I must say this is the most impressive woodworking store I have ever in.

I could be wrong (and it won't be the first time), but I don't think that Rockler has any connection to August Home and WoodSmith.

George

Steve Roxberg
12-29-2004, 10:56 PM
No connection between Rockler and August Home.

But the Wood Smith store owned by August Home does stock and sell a lot of the Rockler hardware and Rockler branded tools.

I love the store and go there every time I'm in Des Moines. :)

Jack Diemer
12-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Definately a Big Box store with about 4 times the wood selection of HD or Lowes from what I could tell

Ron Jones near Indy
12-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Wish the Indy stores would catch up. They have a great supply of wet construction lumber. Guess I will have to check them out a little closer. Maybe I'm not giving them enough credit.

Karl Laustrup
12-30-2004, 6:56 AM
We just had "boondocks" Menards open this summer in Baraboo. If you can believe it this store is bigger than either one of their Madison stores. It should be noted that Madison has a population approaching 300,000, while the "boondocks store" could maybe cull 40,000-50,000 in a 20 mile radius. Ours does carry some woods other than red oak, maple and ash. I've also noticed at other Menards' stores that they may carry more or less. I think they actually may cater to the clientel in the area. We also have a HD, but no Loew's. I've been in Loew's and it's basically a different colored HD. I much prefer Menards stores as they are open, not stacked to the ceiling aisles. And John Menard has several race teams to support [Indy, Busch, Cup just to name a few].

Karl

Thomas Prondzinski
12-30-2004, 7:56 AM
Jack
I have a Menards about 30 miles away. They were here long before Home Depot,Lowes is set to open in the spring in Owatonna,6 miles away. But I like Menards for better wood selection for all projects,and in more sizes than the others. Sometimes better sales than others,I just bought a Jet air cleaner for 159.00 after rebate.

Tom