PDA

View Full Version : I can't help my self

Deane Allinson
11-20-2010, 3:01 PM
I don't need any more saws, but............ I stopped by an estate sale this morning while I was out to buy some sandpaper. No tools, no Mid-Century furniture, just junk. But back in the corner of the garage I saw a saw. It wasn't you normal panty-waist saw. It was a 28" 4 point Tyzack. Sons & Turner No.1. Weird they didn't even have anything but a few wrenches, and cheap screw drivers. I had just picked up my "last" saw last weekend. An unusual Bishop 8 point. I don't know if it is a #12 or a #99. I did a horn repair on it a couple of nights ago. I only spent 20 minutes cleaning up the Tyzack I picked up this morning.
Deane
Really, I don't need any more saws!

Bill Houghton
11-20-2010, 3:17 PM
I actually went through and winnowed my saw...no, it's not a collection, that implies some coherence or intelligence...clump? a while back; but all that did was to free up space on the pegs to store more, it seems. At least I am now being more selective. But really: when you see a thumbhole Disston in pristine condition for $2, what else can you do?

Very nice saw - love the handle.

Andrew Gibson
11-20-2010, 4:33 PM
Beautiful saws. I would love to come across a big 28" rip saw.
I love the handle's on the #12's the one on my 20" panel is wonderfully comfortable.

Andrew Recher
11-20-2010, 7:08 PM
No nearly as nice as yours, but I needed a big rip saw. I bought this one today at an antique store nearby. She was having a half price sale so most of the overpriced items were just about where they should be. This No. 7 was under $12.00. I cleaned up the plate and found hardly any pitting. It's very straight too. Now I need to decide if I want to clean up the handle or make a new one. I'm leaning towards making one-but mostly because I have a hard time leaving things alone and because I really enjoy the process, it seems.

Chris Vandiver
11-20-2010, 8:14 PM
Deane,

Wonderful pair of saws. Nice repair on the Bishop's horn, as well.

Professional help is available for your saw "affliction". Somewhere I've heard of "saw doctors". Maybe they could help. :)