PDA

View Full Version : Older Vega lathe

Ron Stadler
11-20-2010, 1:23 PM
Hi, I recently acquired and older Vega lathe, I believe it is from the 80's and I am trying to remove the spring load pulley from the shaft of the motor so that I may remove the motor. Well, I found two set screw and on pin holding it one and this thing will still not budge, I sprayed it down really good several time now with liquid wrench and even got the key almost all the way remove as it moves quite freely, but still this thing don't budge. So question is there anyone else that has one of these machines or with the same spring loaded pulley system that could look in there manual an tell me if there is another pin or something hold it one. I have a pulley puller, but it really is the wrong one for the application and don't want to put to much pressure on these alluminum pulley's, I really need something that can get behind the pulleys but can't find anything to do that.
Well thanks ahead of time to anyone that may help.

James Combs
11-20-2010, 1:28 PM
The guys here like photos. Could you post some close-ups? Might give us a better idea of how we might help.

Ron Stadler
11-20-2010, 2:29 PM
Ok, here's some pics, hope this helps.

Dick Strauss
11-20-2010, 6:38 PM
Ron,
Try Randy at Vega...he should be able to help you!

800.222.VEGA(8342)

Ron Stadler
11-20-2010, 7:58 PM
I did talk to him, but he really did'nt tell how to get it off. He just said it might be rusted on and that I should'nt put any pressure on the pulley itself that it might explode, he told me there were two set screws holding it on, but forgot to tell me about the set pin. I removed it and the key and was now able to get half of the spring loaded pulley off now, so now im left with the back side to get off from the motor shaft itself, I did put my puller on it, but I can only grasp the pulley itself and it flexes so I'm afraid to put to much pressure on it in fear it will explode or warp it, so i need a puller of some sort to get around the pulley to the back side of it. Randy seemed nice enough and everything but if they were to work on it I wonder how they would remove it, I tried calling them again today but their answering machine was working correctly, so I guess I'll try again monday.