PDA

View Full Version : What is WOP?

Ben Richardson
11-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Some times I think we use too many buzz words. I thought I was fluent in wood working speak but I guess not. I know BLO and AO but not WOP. Help me please.

Glenn Bird
11-20-2010, 12:58 PM
WOP should mean Wipe On Poly. Usually a thinned mixture of your favourite PolyUrethane.

Ben Richardson
11-20-2010, 2:01 PM
Big slap on head! Thank you! Some days you are the bug some days you are the windshield.

Nate Davey
11-20-2010, 2:02 PM
What would one thin their Poly with???? I can't seem to get a good smooth finish with the out of the can poly

Steve Schlumpf
11-20-2010, 2:06 PM
Nate - assuming it is an oil based poly - you can use mineral spirits. Remember that a little bit goes a long way when thinning!

Nate Davey
11-20-2010, 2:07 PM
Thanks Steve, it's the Minwax WOP so would assume it is oil based. As far as proportions...just thin to your desired viscosity?

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2010, 3:20 PM
Nate, I had really good luck thinning Min-Wax WOP. Take a piece of scrap and sand it using same regimen as the project. Then thin some WOP and try it on the scrap.

I was thinning about 4 parts poly to 1 part mineral spirits.

This will have a 2 fold effect. It will dry faster and because it's thinner it will level better. The faster drying helps minimize dust problems.

Keep in mind, that thinning the poly will produce a thinner film finish and you will probably have to use more coats as a result. On my project, I used 6 coats.

Erik France
11-20-2010, 5:16 PM
Thanks Steve, it's the Minwax WOP so would assume it is oil based.
Minwax makes an oil based and water based WOP. The water based will have some blue on the label and some text identifying it as such. http://www.minwax.com/products/interior_clear_protective_finishes/

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2010, 7:15 PM
I also thin my WOP about 4 to 1. Takes about 6 to 8 coats to get the desired look.