PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell Delta 46-450

Bert Solis
11-20-2010, 9:22 AM
Drilling into cast iron:
Need help, is it possible to drill with a hand held drill motor into the headstock side of the lathe??
The tool rest is from another lathe, would love to attach to the outboard side but drilling into metal not my speciality.
Your help and suggestions alwasy appreciated.
If this is posted in the wrong area, my appologies.
Thank you
Bert

John Keeton
11-20-2010, 9:53 AM
Bert, I am not sure exactly what your thought is, but to the general question of drilling into cast iron - it drills easily, but I would encourage you to set a punch mark to get started, and drill a small pilot hole first. Starting a larger drill on cast iron tends to "walk."

Harvey Ghesser
11-20-2010, 10:08 AM
There are some carbide tipped bits which are available that would make your job easier.

Bob Bergstrom
11-20-2010, 10:10 AM
If you are going to mount the platform on the cast iron you may want to make sure to have enough room to mount a backing plate of some kind behind the interior side of the headstock. That machine is a beast but it could be a weak area when putting lateral toque on the casting. Here is a pic of the way I did my outboard on my old 450. It would turn 24" http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/IMG_0302.jpg

Bert Solis
11-20-2010, 2:12 PM
Wow thanks for the quick replies, honored to jave JK respond made my day.
Harvey, Bob, you too, thank you. I like the idea of having the outboard with a backing plate as Bob suggested, it looks like it was attached to the sheet metal part of the base, not the casting, looks rigid enough.
Again your help is much appreciated

Bob Bergstrom
11-20-2010, 3:54 PM
I did bolt it to the cabinet. Put a piece of maple or steel inside the cabinet to help reinforce the table. I used angle iron as supports, but if I suggest square tubing for better rigidity. There is also room for a jack shaft in back of the motor if you don't go with electronic variable speed.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/IMG_0616.jpg

Jerry Moyers
11-20-2010, 4:45 PM
I also have one of these old Rockwell lathes!

Now I have some ideas on tuning mine up. Thanks!

Bert Solis
11-20-2010, 7:27 PM
I also have one of these old Rockwell lathes!

Now I have some ideas on tuning mine up. Thanks!
Great I hope I started something, this particular lathe is so solid, and if you are lucky to find one you can modernize with a variable speed etc see following picture of a variable speed drive.
Any questions ??? I would be happy to find out as much as I can on this particular thread.
Love old stuff and love all the help we get on this forum.

Allen Bunch
09-20-2011, 1:38 PM
Thanks for all of these tip I really appreciate the time you all put into sharing. I was wondering if anyone knew how to figure out the manufacture date for these 46-450 i just picked mine up from a school auction and want to figure out the vintage of the machine. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Allen