PDA

View Full Version : afterlife for non-spiral cutterhead?

John Pohja
11-20-2010, 9:07 AM
I think i saw a thread on this some time ago but can't find it. Anyway, what did you do with your old cutterhead when you replaced it with a byrd? Is there a market for these used steel knife cutterheads? Thanks, John

Chip Lindley
11-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Not much John. Byrd / Grizzly has made zillions of these obsolete.

Steve Peterson
11-20-2010, 12:47 PM
If you have used both sides of the blades, then I suspect that the only remaining value is a small round piece of metal and a couple of screws. In other words, not much anything of value. If the blades are still useable, then they may be useful if you know someone that needs them.

Steve

Dave MacArthur
11-20-2010, 2:25 PM
I've seen guys use old jointer and planer blades for cabinet scrapers. I've got a 3/8" thick section of a planer blade I use. You can't flex the blade like is often done, but on the other hand your fingers don't get tired and it makes a very smooth surface.

Jeffrey Patrick
11-20-2010, 2:44 PM
A blade will make a nice miniature drawknife or layout knife.

Matt Benton
11-20-2010, 3:06 PM
Post it for sale on OWWM. Many of the heads that came from the factory on older jointers are quite unsafe. You'll also find people occasionally looking to upgrade babbit head to ball bearings....

John Coloccia
11-20-2010, 3:27 PM
Get some string. Tie a knot and slip it through the center of the head. Drill a hole in the blades and tie a piece of string through each hole. Make a little triangular frame with some wood. Suspend the head in the middle of the frame, the blades on the vertices, and voila'...you've made yourself a wind chime to hang outside your shop.

Martha Stewart's got nothing on me.

James Baker SD
11-20-2010, 4:44 PM
and when it moves enough to chime, you know its time to duck into the tornado cellar.:D

Dave MacArthur
11-20-2010, 4:45 PM
Or a deadly ninja weapon...

Rick Fisher
11-21-2010, 1:03 AM
One of the fellas here kept his old Powermatic Jointer head.. when he sold the jointer, he removed the helical head and sold it seperately.. I think he got more money for it that way..

Of course, this is an excuse to store another box in your shop for some far flung reason that may never happen.. :D