PDA

View Full Version : Turning Wenge

Prashun Patel
11-20-2010, 8:51 AM
How is wenge to turn? Any finishing tips?
Anything to beware of? The blank I have is nice and I don't want to waste.

David E Keller
11-20-2010, 9:49 AM
I've only done pens, but I found it to be dry and somewhat prone to splintering. It's really dusty and has fairly open pores. On the plus side, it's beautiful wood and worth the effort.

Harvey Schneider
11-20-2010, 9:59 AM
Wenge is nasty dusty stuff. I posted comments on it recently when I turned a bowl with it. I got a reasonable finish on the piece, but nearly choked on the spray of crumbled wood shavings and dust that come off the cutting tool
Finishing was also a challenge. most finishes turn it solid near black. All of the intricate texture and coloration disappear.
Even though I consider the result to be quite good, I doubt that I will turn wenge as second time.

Malcolm Tibbetts
11-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Wenge can be difficult, but perhaps worth the effort. One very effective treatment is to bleach it - very dramatic with the resulting contrast.

Bob Bergstrom
11-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Very open grained and the figure get lost in the dark chocolate color. Bleaching, sandblasting. or caustic treatment would add a lot. I found it brittle and could chip out.

Jim Silva
11-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Let's see, checklist for turning wenge...

Face shield (splintery stuff)

Respirator (very dusty)

Sharpener ready (the grain in wenge pulls up grit into the wood as it grows and is very abrasive)

As for finish, any wenge finials I do are usually just a few applications of a good friction polish. I have better luck on the larger pieces with something less glossy like a spar varnish then waxed. (I use 0000 steel wool and rub it in to the piece with Butchers bowling alley wax) and it seems to keep the grain patterns standing out.
YMMV

I've been waiting for a piece to try bleaching like Malcom suggested. I imagine it would be a very cool look.

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
11-20-2010, 10:24 AM
I agree with the rest as far as the wood goes. Beautiful when finished but as was said lots of dust and a DC and respirator is a must. Dust is nasty to breathe.

Chris Colman
11-20-2010, 11:11 AM
I have just about given up on using wenge for any kind of spindle work that calls for sharp details. The stuff is just too splintery.

I have also noticed in some pieces there are very small white flecks in the grain. I usually flick them out with a sharp knife before I apply sanding sealer.

I am definitely going to have to try the bleaching idea.

$.02

Michael James
11-20-2010, 11:14 AM
I dont like it for all the reasons listed but have only done a couple of pens.
Way too dark to appreciate the contrast, and Im not excited enough about the possiblity to get into bleaching or using other chemicals when there are so many wonderful woods that turn beautifully right off the tree.