PDA

View Full Version : Question from a novice

Gary Christensen ws
11-19-2010, 11:40 PM
I was thinking of making a cutting board, I would like to make it several types of wood. Like a pattern or varigated strips of different woods. If I do this. What is the best glue to use? Contact cement or elmers wood glue or what? my concern is the strips or pieces seperating from the oil in the finish and or water from wet veggies and just washing it. I know better than to leave in standing water, but am not sure what to use.:confused::D

Jay Allen
11-20-2010, 6:41 AM
Once the glue is dry, the oil in the finish would have no effect on it, so don't worry about that. Pretty much any of the regular yellow wood glues would be fine, since the board shouldn't be soaked enough to cause a problem....but I always use Titebond III "just in case".

Dave MacArthur
11-20-2010, 2:40 PM
Titebond III, it's their "waterproof" glue.

Justin Bukoski
11-20-2010, 6:07 PM
Gary, Titebond III is food safe and waterproof. I use it on all my cutting boards.

Rick Fisher
11-21-2010, 12:58 AM
I would use Titebond III or Lepages waterproof glue.. Having said that, I built a lady a maple cutting board, used regular yellow glue, and she submerges it in the sink.. Its still holding up .. I would not use contact cement..

johnny means
11-21-2010, 8:46 PM
Anything but contact cement.