PDA

View Full Version : My overhead sawguard modification

Jeff Monson
11-19-2010, 4:48 PM
Thought I'd share my modification to my overhead sawguard. I had cut down the guard to make the machine width more manageable in my already narrow shop. Upon doing this I created a problem, the sawguard
would not push in far enough to clear the shaper fence, when the unit was in "shaper mode." I ordered a 200lb hinge from mcmaster carr, and a heavy duty draw latch with safety, to keep it safely closed. It works great, plus it is very easy to swing out of the way when shaping or swapping saw blades.

Rod Sheridan
11-19-2010, 5:56 PM
Nice solution Jeff.

So now that you've owned the Felder for a while, how do you like it?

Regards, Rod.

Jeff Monson
11-19-2010, 7:32 PM
Nice solution Jeff.

So now that you've owned the Felder for a while, how do you like it?

Regards, Rod.

So far so good Rod, its definately a new learning curve! Its taken quite awhile to get wiring, dust collection and the sawguard all done. But now I'm 100% done with all that. Another month from now I may be better suited for a good answer.

BTW Thanks again for the emails and support, if this machine had not come up on the used market, I'd have gone with the k3 winner and a comfort package. Its a horse apiece in my eyes.

Dino Drosas
11-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Nice work Jeff. Now that you have shortened the reach, what is the maximum length of your cut on the right side of the blade. I thought about doing this to my saw, but I occasionally cut a sheet of ply in half and would loose that option. Now it is time for you to install a remote on/off switch. It is very easy and inexpensive to do. You will not believe the difference it makes in both convenience and safety especially using it to turn off the shaper/router. I have mine mounted on a bracket that attaches to the channel on the slider so that it can be placed anywhere along the slider edge where I m working. BTW, congrats on the Felder.