PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw Poll . . .

Kevin Jaynes
11-19-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm interested to know what percentage of the various miter saws are out in the field. Also please elaborate briefly describing the brand, model (if you know it offhand) and how old the saw is. Guesstimate if you have to.

I'm not asking for reviews just the basic specifications of your saw and whether or not you like it. But of course elaborate to any extent you desire. Many of us have several miter saws but I'm interested in the specs of your primary (the one use/like most) saw.

Just so we're all on the same page:

A miter saw (aka "chop saw") has the ability to make miter and bevel cuts but only by lying the workpiece flat or flipping it up on edge - it has no bevel adjustment inherent in the saw.
Bevel is the ability of the power head/blade to tilt in one or both directions.
Miter relates the angle the blade cuts on the horizontal plane relative to the fence.

I realize these definitions can be nit-picked but I'm just trying to keep us all on the same page. I'm developing a new product and this information will aid me in this development. I will be releasing the product early next year and as a thank you I will donate another jig kit to the creek for a FreeStuff give-away.

Thanks for your participation, Kevin.

Erik Christensen
11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
angle cross cuts - Kapex

production 90 degree cross cuts - 12" delta RAS

12" - 36" cross cuts - custom MFT table with festool track saw

Mark Ashmeade
11-19-2010, 11:03 AM
I used to have a 10 inch slider, but it was poor quality and sold it recently. I replaced it with a Hitachi 12 inch slider, which was hideously noisy and frankly scary to use. I returned it the following day. I don't currently own a miter saw, and my RAS is doing just fine in the meantime.

That's not going to last though, because I recently got a lathe, and I can see me making segmented bowls, which would require me to cut a myriad of different angles, and each time there's a new angle, there's either a new cut in the RAS's table, or a horrid sub-base jig thing to be made/used.

I'm quite interested in the new Bosch, when I can get a chance to pay with one. It doesn't look like it has an induction motor though, which I would really like. I am not sure such a beast actually exists.

Cary Falk
11-19-2010, 11:13 AM
I have a 10" craftsman dual compound miter saw. It is very inaccurate. I only use it for rough cutting wood to size for projects. My neighbor is using it for putting up paint grade baseboards. I don't miss it. The jigsaw is working just fine for me in the mean time.

Marty Paulus
11-19-2010, 12:03 PM
10" Craftsman dual compound saw. Seems to be accurate enough for me for now. Noticed a huge difference when I put a decent blade on. Looking to get a 12' slider soon.

Jeff Monson
11-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Kapex, dont regret it one bit

Charles Wiggins
11-19-2010, 12:11 PM
I have a 10" Delta CMS - I forget the model - and a Bosch 12" axial glide on order.

Rod Sheridan
11-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I have a 15 year old Delta cast iron compound mitre saw that I purchased to install trim at my Mom's house.

After using it at Mom's house it sat around my shop for years working hard as a dust collector.:D

It gets loaned out to friends and co-workers for months at a time as I rarely use it, except to cut wood for outdoor projects such as repairing a fence etc.

I always used the table saw for all my cutting, now I have a sliding table saw so I don't see any reason to buy another mitre saw unless I wind up with a huge trim job in my house. (Not likely)

If I was going to buy a new machine, it would be the Kapex, I tried it out at a show and was very impressed, and it has great dust collection, something that's very important to me.

Regards, Rod.

Sam Joyce
11-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Makita 10" non slider. Its about 4 years old and incredibly accurate. I haved moved it around, made compound cuts and it always stays perfectly true, with no need to recalibrate. It does lack capacity however so my next purchase will be the Makita 12 non slider. I dont have the room for the slider but that extra 3 inches of cutting capacity can be critical in the work I do.

Tom Cornish
11-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Makita LS1013 slider.

I'm on my second fence (had a crash and bent the original). It's a little tired but still works very well. I like the large table surface compared to the Hitachis and even the Kapex.

If I was going to replace it, I would either get the Kapex for better dust collection, or a 12" long slider with more crosscutting capacity since it doesn't leave my shop very often.

John Piwaron
11-19-2010, 12:38 PM
That new Bosch miter saw looks interesting. If I can find one to look at I'll consider it.

When I bought a newTS, I also bought a JessEm Miter Excel to go with it. I had hoped that having an easy to use accurate miter gage would allow me more options for cutting miters. Wrong. The Miter Excel is a beautiful piece of equipment but in my opinion has a basic flaw that renders it a bit less than accurate.

So, bottom line - back to the miter saw. Currently I own and use frequently a Dewalt DW733 compound miter saw. It's mounted in a recess in a table. It's great for cutting long lengths to size and with a Forrest Chopmaster leaves glass smooth cuts on the mitered surface. Honestly, I can't complain. It's been steady and reliable for many years.

Russell Smallwood
11-19-2010, 1:07 PM
Hitachi 12RSH. Got it for a really good price at Amazon. Pretty solid piece of gear so far. The only thing I don't like about it is that there is nothing in the manual about aligning the saw. I think they expect it to be perfect out of the box (it was) and taken to a service center when it gets out of whack (I did and it was free and painless)

Will Overton
11-19-2010, 4:31 PM
Bosch 12" slider ... 5 years old

Ryan Hellmer
11-19-2010, 4:59 PM
I have the contstruction site special, DeWalt DW715, left-tilt compound on a mobile stand. It has been reasonably accurate over its lifetime and pretty much bullet proof. I haven't tried any REALLY wide miters but it has produced good furniture quality miters in smaller trim/materials.

I used to have a C-man RAS for crosscutting up to 12" which is being replaced with a DeWalt GK "medium" arm RAS for crosscutting up to 24". Anything wider ... well, I don't have a good system for that.

Ryan

G. Brad Schmidt
11-19-2010, 5:07 PM
Milwaukee 6955-20 (12" Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw).

Purchased during the infamous HD blowout sale during the summer of 2010.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/auswahl/ernaehrung004.gif (http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-drink-smilies.html)

Paul McGaha
11-19-2010, 5:19 PM
Hatachi 10" Slider, (3) years old. Cuts well.

Probably last a long time as I am pretty much weekends only.

When it goes I'll take a hard look at the Kapex for the improved dust collection.

PHM

Caspar Hauser
11-19-2010, 5:40 PM
I have the older DeWalt 12" slider, the up and over not the newer side by side. I like it very much. I must have had it for eight years or thereabouts, I use it every day and it has been bullet proof so far. I can't say I care for the new one, 'improved' a bit too much for my taste.

I also have a 10" Hitachi slider, lighter and a bit easier to move about the job site, I've had it for three years or so and am quite happy with it.

CH

glenn bradley
11-19-2010, 5:45 PM
I own one on a stand and use it about once every two years. I am glad to have it but, had I known how little I would use one, I wouldv'e spent the money on wood. they're right up there with a RAS for me; neither is worth the real estate it takes to operate one. ;-)

P.s. Others feel VERY strongly the other way . . . . ;-)

keith denbesten
11-19-2010, 6:17 PM
I had / have a LS1220 miter saw (it's on clist now) I just got the new Bosch glide

John Toigo
11-19-2010, 6:20 PM
For jobsite work I have a Dewalt 12" SCMS. In the shop I have a Dewalt GA 16" for crosscuts and an MBF for everything else.

Brian W Evans
11-19-2010, 6:30 PM
I have the Makita LS1214FL (12" slider). I trimmed out several rooms in my previous house with it and it was extremely accurate. I've never had to adjust it, but it's easy to do. The factory blade is very good (still using it after my trim work, building front steps with PT lumber, rough cutting hardwood, etc.).

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably end up with a Bosch. The Makita is almost $300 more than when I bought it two years ago (about a 45% increase in price).

greg a bender
11-19-2010, 7:45 PM
I have a new Makita LS1016L SCMS and love it. Also an older CMan RAS for whatever the Makita can't do. (Which isn't very much).

GB

Karl Brogger
11-19-2010, 7:51 PM
Derda chop box. Today actually was the first time I ever cut a mitre with it. I've used it every single day for the past two years. Bolted to the bench.

Makita 5-1/2" Sliding compound- Install saw. Light and awesome.

(2) Milwaukee 10" chop boxes. One is pretty worn out, the other is my old install saw, that still see's install work. Its nice to leave the slider setup for mitres, the other for square cuts. I wish I could get both to fit on my one stand though.

Don Bullock
11-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I bought an Hatachi 10" slider a few years ago when Amazon had them at a great price. It has been a very good saw and I use it more than I use my table saw on the carpentry work I've been doing on our house like putting in flooring in four large rooms and all the necessary trim.

For my furniture projects the miter saw is solely used for cutting boards down to size. My table saw will be used for the fine cuts.

David Thompson 27577
11-20-2010, 2:02 AM
I'm interested to know what percentage of the various miter saws are out in the field. .............. Kevin.

I own the hitachi 10" slider -- got mine when the non-laser version was being sold out to make room for the laser-guided-versions.

But when I voted in this poll, I voted for the "prefer it to my table saw".

Because for crosscuts and miters, I do prefer it. It's every bit as accurate, and probably easier to use. With the table saw, you have to line up a pencil mark with the blade, and the two might not be capable of coming together and touching while the saw is off-- so it's (at least sometimes) a bit of a guessing game.

With a miter saw, I can make my mark, then I can (without starting the saw) set a tooth of the blade down on that mark. With this method, it's almost impossible to not know for sure where the cut will be.

Rick Fisher
11-20-2010, 3:49 AM
Hitachi C10FHS .. 10" Slider... Its probably 7 ? Years old..

I like this saw because its quieter than most of the others at that time.

When it dies, I will likely get a Kapex .

Kevin Jaynes
11-21-2010, 7:44 PM
Thank you all for participating in this poll. It's been very informative, and your comments will help me a great deal.

Jim O'Dell
11-21-2010, 8:08 PM
I did my research for about a year. I had the money saved up for the one that was at the top of my list. (I had a list of 3 finalists) I was just waiting for the Makita LS1013 to go on sale. Then it happened. Someone mentioned on one of the forums that a Lowes in Dallas had the Hitachi 10 and 12" dual compound sliders at a ridiculous price. I called, that store was out. I called another, but was told they didn't have the same prices. I asked to speak to the tool mgr on duty, and I was informed I was already speaking to that person. I thanked him for his time, and he said wait, come on in, I'll sell it to you for that. So long story shortened some:p I got the 10" Hitachi, it was second on my list. But I got it for 210.00, new in the box! And on top of that, Hitachi had a rebate where I got their 2 1/4 hp router for free!!! I'd still rather have the Makita for the larger motor, and the much larger base, but the Hitachi has done everything I've asked it to do, and with accuracy. So I'm happy in the end. Jim.

David Christopher
11-21-2010, 8:51 PM
Delta 10" CMS....bought at Lowes

Dave Cav
11-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Cheap big box (B&D?) chop saw for framing only.

RAS (12" Delta, DeWalt MBF 9") does everything else.