PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Electronis, i.e. Ipods, Cell Phones, etc...

William Milligan
11-19-2010, 8:40 AM
I have noticed a few threads on engraving electronics and know it can be done quite well with our lasers. I have been approached by a numer of individuals regarding engraving the backs of their phones, etc. While I do know it seems to be fairly easy I also know it is a one time shot. If I mess it up it is messed up. So,
My thought is to put some clay, paper or some other substance on top of the item and do a dry run to make sure placement is correct prior to running the actual job. I figure I could run the job with limited power just to make an impression on the "template"...Any suggestions for tried and true methods for doing this? I am probably putting TOO MUCH thought into this but if I am going to do it I want to make sure it is done right. Thanks!

Scott Shepherd
11-19-2010, 8:42 AM
I haven't done many items like that, but I have done a fair amount of work that was on things that needed lining up. I normally put a piece of clear acrylic over it, engrave it, and then I can see the engraving and the piece as they will be. If it looks good, remove the acrylic, hit start.

Dee Gallo
11-19-2010, 8:49 AM
Liam,

Most of us use transfer tape (used by vinyl signmakers), blue masking tape or any low tack masking tape to cover the substrate while doing a test run. If you use low power (10-20) and 100 speed, you will get an image on the tape which will not go through. My suggestion is to try some tape on a throwaway piece to see what works for YOUR tape in YOUR machine. It will vary according to your laser and wattage. Never test on your actual workpiece!

When you are satisfied with the placement, simply laser through the tape and remove it after the job is done.

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
11-19-2010, 8:54 AM
Liam,

Use blue painter's tape... it shows a nice white color. For your 75W, you will probably be in the 10-15P range (at 100S). Keep the dpi low (500dpi or less), not only for speed, but because high dpi will cut through the tape (DAMHIKT). For positioning, I'll run at <100dpi and 20P.

Strip off the tape and reset your power for engraving, or if it's a simple design just increase your power and rerun it right through the tape.