PDA

View Full Version : lathe?

cameron bailey
11-19-2010, 6:56 AM
I have never turned and am looking at lathes and there is an auction this weekend with a woodfast m408 I will post a picture of it. Is this worth bidding on and if so what is it worth? I have looked and have not found much info on this lathe.
Thanks, Cameron

John Keeton
11-19-2010, 7:04 AM
Cameron, there is a thread (a few years old) on the AAW forum about these lathes. A Google search for Woodfast CSUSA will give you the link.

Andrew Kertesz
11-19-2010, 7:06 AM
I found some references that say it was about 3K new with all the attachments.

Bob Haverstock
11-19-2010, 7:12 AM
Hi Cameron,

As I recall watching older wood turning videos, Woodfast was used alot. I'm not a spindle turner, this lathe would interest me. I have no idea what thread the spindle thread is orwhat the tapers are. If the spindle is an 1.25" X 8 tpi and the tapers as #2, tooling will be readily available. Condition is everything, perhaps you could see it under power. I'd likely bid on it.

Bob Haverstock

J.D.Redwine
11-19-2010, 8:02 AM
Have you seen this page?
http://books.google.com/books?id=oPYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA105&lpg=PA105&dq=woodfast+m408&source=bl&ots=Hf2FipKOUu&sig=FRYU9exi6n_6njPVf10z9uF5m34&hl=en&ei=vXPmTJvCF8e1nwf1tKztDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=woodfast%20m408&f=false

Stephen Cherry
11-19-2010, 8:26 AM
One thing to consider, if you haven't used a lathe before, is that you may not know exactly what you want to do. This is very normal- how would you know what you like unless you have tried it for a while.

That said, this is not really a general purpose lathe. If you want to do turnings that fit within it's parameters, it may be great, but if you want to make a table leg, it doesn't look like it would work.

Wally Dickerman
11-19-2010, 10:34 AM
The Woodfast lathe shown in pic is an excellent lathe. It isn't made anymore but parts are still generally available. Made in Australia. It was about $3000 new. I don't know what it might be valued at today. My guess is that anything under $1500 would be a good price.

Our community woodshop has 6 of these lathes and they have been in use for around 15 years. I taught classes for 10 years using these lathes so I've had a lot of experience with them. In a community woodshop they get a lot of use and are a rugged lathe. Also, my club has one for demos.

The lathe show is a shortbed version of the lathe. 16 inches between centers. This makes it not a good lathe for spindle turnings longer than 18 inches max. However it makes it a very good hollow form lathe. It is variable speed with a 1 1/2 hp motor. It has a 20 inch swing, so that makes it one of their later models. The older ones had a 16 inch swing.

Wally

Gene Hintze
11-19-2010, 12:50 PM
There was one of this same model just listed on CL in VA for $700. Sold in less than a day so that should give you some idea of the price point.

David Walser
11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi Cameron,

As I recall watching older wood turning videos, Woodfast was used alot. I'm not a spindle turner, this lathe would interest me. I have no idea what thread the spindle thread is orwhat the tapers are. If the spindle is an 1.25" X 8 tpi and the tapers as #2, tooling will be readily available. Condition is everything, perhaps you could see it under power. I'd likely bid on it.

Bob Haverstock

It has a 1.25" x 8 tpi spindle and #2 tapers.

David Walser
11-19-2010, 1:02 PM
Cameron,

The Woodfast m408 was considered a top-of-the-line lathe less than 10 years ago. It is very durable and stable. The lathe is comparable in quality to the Vicmarc VL300.

The model you pictured has a swing over the bed of 20" (mine has a 16" swing). The lathe was designed to be able to turn outboard by removing the handwheel. That gives you the capacity to turn something a lot larger than 20".

As for a price, I think somewhere between $1,500 and $2,000 would be fair to both sides (depending on condition). Less than $1,500 would be a very good deal.

alex carey
11-19-2010, 1:05 PM
my club also has 2, its a pretty sweet lathe for the modern turner. Not much good if you plan on doing long spindle work but it should handle bowls, platters and hf just fine.

cameron bailey
11-22-2010, 1:38 AM
Well someone got a deal. I was unable to bid on the lathe today and it went for $600. It also had a large steady rest a lot of extras. It looked like it was almost new. :(
Thanks for the replies