PDA

View Full Version : Problems with engraving photos

Bea Prince
11-19-2010, 2:31 AM
Dear all,

I don't even know where to start
I have a JQ 4030 from Jinan Laser (http://www.jqlaser.com/products/productdetail_52.html) with 60W power.
I think you are fed up with beginners always asking for help but I need help too When I'm reading about your knowledge on this forum I'm wondering if it was a good idea to buy the machine without any knowledge. I bought the machine 4 months ago and I want to learn it as much as possible before I work with it in my business.
My current problem is with engraving photos. I'm a beginner in Photoshop too and maybe that's why I can't figure out where I'm doing wrong. I use Corel Photoshop, 1 Touch Laser Photo and LaserCut 5.3. So if the photo has a quite good quality I proceed it in 1 Touch Laser Photo for ex. for wood. On the attached photo you can see the sky behind the elephant. When I engrave it only the elephant is engraved the sky behind him it's not and the photo better looks like a graphic but a photo. I have the same problem on black granite too. The smaller details aren't engraved. I use the parameters advised by the manufacturer (for ex. for wood: speed: 600, power 40 %, scan gap: 0,06-0,15) You can see attached the original photo, the after 1 Touch Laser Photo and the engraved one.
Maybe this all will sound as a stupid question for you and I'm sure it's all about settings but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I hope I gave you every needed detail. Thank you in advanced for you all.

PS: Please forgive me for my poor English, I'm from Hungary.

I've posted the photos in the Rabbit Owners thread and I can't attach it again, here's the link:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=167366&d=1289842993

Mike Null
11-19-2010, 8:22 AM
Bea

Welcome to SMC. My maternal grandparents came over from Hungary a little over 100 years ago.

I don't work with photos much but I think your problem is with the lack of contrast in the photo rather than machine settings.

We have a number of knowledgable people here who will offer help to get you on the right track.

William Milligan
11-19-2010, 8:35 AM
I am pretty new to this as well. I've only had my laser for a little over a week now so VERY new.

I've been playing around with photos quite a bit in the last week and usually use Photograv to process my photos. I am no expert but I would tend to agree with Mike, try increasing the contrast on the picture to see if that helps. I suppose you could also try doing another run over the photo to see if it will darken it up a bit though I am not sure that will get you the results for which you are looking.

Welcome to the Forum...all questions help us all and the people here are quite helpful. I generally try to search the forum for answers first to see if the issue has been discussed in the past...many have...if I don't find the answer for which I am looking I post the question...

Bea Prince
11-19-2010, 8:45 AM
Bea

Welcome to SMC. My maternal grandparents came over from Hungary a little over 100 years ago.

I don't work with photos much but I think your problem is with the lack of contrast in the photo rather than machine settings.

We have a number of knowledgable people here who will offer help to get you on the right track.

Thank you for yor help Mike. I'm glad you have hungarian relatives. I'm reading the forum for a long time and it was funny because when I wanted to register with my real lastname (Herczegh wich means Prince in English) it said that's not my real name :). Thanks for the idea, I'll try to increase the contrast before lasering the photo.

Bea Prince
11-19-2010, 8:50 AM
I am pretty new to this as well. I've only had my laser for a little over a week now so VERY new.

I've been playing around with photos quite a bit in the last week and usually use Photograv to process my photos. I am no expert but I would tend to agree with Mike, try increasing the contrast on the picture to see if that helps. I suppose you could also try doing another run over the photo to see if it will darken it up a bit though I am not sure that will get you the results for which you are looking.

Welcome to the Forum...all questions help us all and the people here are quite helpful. I generally try to search the forum for answers first to see if the issue has been discussed in the past...many have...if I don't find the answer for which I am looking I post the question...

Hey Liam,
Thanks for you too. I will try today with the contrast and I'll post the results. I tried to run over it again but what its not engraved for the first time isn't for the second either. The rest of the photo it's getting darker. I tried to search the forum for help regarding this issue but I didn't find anything helpfull :( Thanks again!

Dan Hintz
11-19-2010, 8:56 AM
Bea,

Side note... contact Keith Outten and he can help you fix up your last name (unless you don't mind using Prince).

Chris Mahoney
11-19-2010, 9:31 AM
Along with playing with the image contrast, if there is an image dithering setting (I'm not familiar with your laser software) you can ultimately change the way the laser "shades". If you do have the setting option, I would recommend Jarvis.

Marko Milosavljevic
11-19-2010, 9:41 AM
I've had chinese machine two years ago, and as I can remember you will need to decrease your speed to 300 or 400. Chinese power supplies arent fast enough for small details engraving at high speeds.

Bea Prince
11-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Along with playing with the image contrast, if there is an image dithering setting (I'm not familiar with your laser software) you can ultimately change the way the laser "shades". If you do have the setting option, I would recommend Jarvis.

Thank you Chris. I can't set the image dithering in my software (or at least I can't find where to set :) ). If I proceed the image with Jarvis in Photoshop it will give the same results?

Bea Prince
11-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I've had chinese machine two years ago, and as I can remember you will need to decrease your speed to 300 or 400. Chinese power supplies arent fast enough for small details engraving at high speeds.

Thanks for the idea Marko!

Bea Prince
11-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Bea,

Side note... contact Keith Outten and he can help you fix up your last name (unless you don't mind using Prince).

Thanks Dan but I don't mind using Prince. I use it on a lot of forums anyway. At least with this name noone thinks that I'm a woman, you know most of the people has prejudice in this industry regarding women.

Larry Bratton
11-19-2010, 4:35 PM
See my post in this thread. Since your using Corel Photopaint it might be of help to you.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=152045

Allen Isakson
11-20-2010, 5:26 AM
Bea I have a Chinese machine as well, 60 watt. I do photos all the time with very fine detail. I use photograve 300 dpi , 600 sp and 45 power. My Scan gap is set to 0.50 and i get incredible results. I use baltic Birch for most of my photos.

Bill Cunningham
11-20-2010, 8:47 PM
To experiment with contrast etc.. In photopaint under the 'adjust menu' there is a selection called Brightness/Contrast/Intensity. By playing with the 3 sliders, you can come to a pleasing compromise. Practice and Experience will usually determine the best combination of the three for the best results on 'your' laser, with 'your' eye

Chris Mahoney
11-22-2010, 7:21 AM
Thank you Chris. I can't set the image dithering in my software (or at least I can't find where to set :) ). If I proceed the image with Jarvis in Photoshop it will give the same results?

I know there is a setting in photopaint where you can change the dithering. If you go to "Image" then click on "Convert to Black and White" there is a drop down box where you can change the dithering. I would say its best to experiment with different settings to achieve the best quality.

Larry Bratton
11-22-2010, 1:14 PM
I know there is a setting in photopaint where you can change the dithering. If you go to "Image" then click on "Convert to Black and White" there is a drop down box where you can change the dithering. I would say its best to experiment with different settings to achieve the best quality.
Floyd Steinburg or Jarvis works with most everything
Here is a YouTube video by our own Roy Brewer that shows how to prep photos in Corel Draw and Corel Photopaint
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yllZTBA0HO0

Bea Prince
11-23-2010, 2:43 AM
I thank you all for your help. I couldn't imagine that I'll get so many replies. I will try everything but with granite my problem is that I don't use convenient material. Miguel helped me to figure this out.
I'll post my result as soon as I have some:)

Larry Bratton
11-23-2010, 8:59 AM
Bea,
Granite is particularly difficult to get good results. Lower power and fast speeds will prevent overpowering. I run black granite on my 40watt epilog at 40p/100s. 300dpi is plenty. Contrast is important also. You need to invert your image with any black background. Unsharp mask filter is very helpful also. I usually color fill granite by rubbing in Wintons Artist Oil Titanium White as it won't produce the same white that you get with marble. Good luck!

Bea Prince
01-07-2011, 9:18 AM
Dear all,

First of all I wish you all a blessed and happy New Year.
Sorry for coming back so late with my results but I needed time to have some :) I'm still not satisfied especially with the photo on granite but I still don't have the right material.
I'm curious what your opinions will be :)

Dan Hintz
01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Bea,

The white tile looks "okay", but I would probably darken it up just a bit... the contrast is pretty decent.

The black tile could use a bit more contrast in the hair, but it would really perk up if you feathered the edge of the oval... hard edges take away from the image inside.

A very strong start, though... keep it up.

Bea Prince
01-07-2011, 3:30 PM
Bea,

The white tile looks "okay", but I would probably darken it up just a bit... the contrast is pretty decent.

The black tile could use a bit more contrast in the hair, but it would really perk up if you feathered the edge of the oval... hard edges take away from the image inside.

A very strong start, though... keep it up.

Thanks for your remarks Dan. The white tile its darker, I took the photo in dark and it became lighter because of the flash.
With the black tile: I tried to use more contrast on his hair but he looked so strange after that, as an old man. Can you give me any tips to get the right result?
And thanks, hope this thing will get better an better with every photo :)

John Noell
01-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Bea, I think your results are quite good. With photos, every material requires different settings and the exact settings needed for best results can be very tricky to determine!

Gregor Irsic
04-03-2011, 5:54 AM
PS: Please forgive me for my poor English, I'm from Hungary.

Hi neighbour!

I'm from Slovenia and I'm deciding to purchase laser my self and JQ 4030 is one of my favorites.
So can you share your experiences with you machine (pros and cons)
Maybe post some pics of it.

I'd be very thankful for any kind of info.

P.S.: Where from Hungary are you, I'm often close to the border and maybe we could share experiences.
You could PM me.

lucas kreft
04-09-2011, 7:07 AM
laser etch this black to white gradient on your material as a sample. please crop so its thinner and you don't waste more energy than you need to.
print the exact image, then tape it beside your etched gradient. you will now be able to look at black and white images and compare what colors will and will not laser.
tweak the contrast levels until you are confident

also please put white artists oil paint on the granite after you etch. it will POP out even more and you will love it.
this is what I used and got (http://www.dickblick.com/products/m-graham-oils/?AID=10289777&PID=2258946&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dickblick.com%2Fproducts%2Fm-graham-oils%2F) a local art store. This is just one of the many brands that are around. I don't know what is available at your location.
in my personal experience when granite is etched, it just looks gray to me, so white oil paint is the key for me! Apply a tiny bit on your tile with a cloth in a curricular motion, wait a minute then buff the tile clean where it is un=etched.

You will see many different types of white paint, go for titanium white. The tubes of paint wil; have many different numbers on it like 10, 20, 25, 40 etc.. from what i remember, go for the higher numbers??? the lower numbers are a cheaper grade of paint. can someone else please verify about what the numbers represent on a tube of artists paint?

you also want to have the right type of material. there are many types of granite. try to go for really fine granite that doesnt have a lot of large crystals.
I stay away from this (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_p2bw3CgJ08k/S6_t3N5dENI/AAAAAAAADE0/F9EblcjZETo/s1600/Black%2BGalaxy.jpg)
This is what I like (http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsYpLOjkLLSMwJ6JwQvXKLqxrBe_la3 yD0MYFLG6dkg9s_RJ0yPA&t=1)

Dan Hintz
04-09-2011, 8:00 AM
If you use Lucas' gradient, put some tick marks in there to designate major color values (I'd suggest every 10-15 value increases), or split it into clearly designated boxes. The human mind has issue separating specific color values in a smooth gradient like that, so matching up the color on the tile without reference points will likely not match up with what you choose in a pic.

Michael Headrick
07-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Lucas - thank you very much for the tip on using the oil paint on etched granite! I'm just learning the art, and you were right - the extra contrast is very nice. Even more, though, I had been getting very frustrated with my granite showing every single time someone picked it up. It seemed that the first thing they would do would feel the etched portion with the tip of their finger, and within minutes of giving it to a customer it would be covered in little oil spots. This paint seems to have eliminated that problem nicely!

Allen Isakson
07-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Marko not sure what chinese machine you have, but I have a 60 watt chinese machine and i do photos at 700 speed with outstanding details.

Frank Corker
07-24-2011, 4:52 PM
The black granite tile has been hit with too much power, you can tell by the very visible natural stone underneath. In order to get a good result on granite, you only need etch the surface, too much and it will obliterate it (as you have done). The other item has turned out fine though.

Bill Cunningham
07-24-2011, 8:29 PM
One little tip that will save you a lot of grief.. If your adding oil paint, before you do, hose the granite off with a good strong steam of water. This will wash off all the little granite dust particles from the engraved areas. Then let it dry before adding the oil paint.. Failure to do this, may allow the paint to pick up this grit, and scratch the polished surface of the granite. The paint will now fill the scratches as well. Paint filled scratches will be very obvious in the finished piece.