PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Pens

John Terefenko
11-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Turned a couple pens for a few shows. Thought I would show a few off here. This one is for the turners out there. It is a laser blank that I turned and finished with 3 coats of thin CA and 4 coats of med CA. Then polished to a high shine with MM.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/TurnersPen.jpg

The next is a pen added to my metal series pens. This one has a red copper braibed wire running through a black vinyl weave. Looks cool in person and when the light hits it just right. I cast this in a clear poly resin and polished to a high shine.

Thanks for looking and as always any comments or questions are always welcomed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/RedCopperSierra.jpg

Kevin W Johnson
11-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Very, very nice looking work. I've just begun my journey into pen turning, and if any of mine look anything like those, i'll know i've succeeded.

On a side note, my very first pen was at a Woodcraft "Turn for Troops" event on Veteran's Day. That pen is troop bound...

Kevin

Dan Hintz
11-19-2010, 6:35 AM
John,

Where did you get the design for the turner's pen? Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind knowing where you got the red/black wire braid, either :)

Norm Zax
11-19-2010, 6:39 AM
Great pens!

Baxter Smith
11-19-2010, 7:37 AM
That turners pen is sweet! The other is nice too, just not as unique!

Gary Max
11-19-2010, 7:41 AM
They both look perfect John

John Terefenko
11-19-2010, 8:58 AM
John,

Where did you get the design for the turner's pen? Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind knowing where you got the red/black wire braid, either :)

Dan, it is not my design. These are laser cut kits that come with the main barrel and a bunch of tiny little pieces that were laser cut and you assemble this blank and CA glue all the little pieces in. Then you spin it and finish it. I got this kit from Bear Tooth Woods. It is a Kallenshaam Woods design. http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/images/pixel_trans.gif

As far as the metal braiding pen goes. This material was bought off ebay. It comes from China. It comes in sleeve form and I cut to size of the tube and cast in clear poly resin. I then spin it after it is cured and polish to a high shine. I can give you the person I bought the material from but would have to look through my files if you are interested.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Dan Hintz
11-19-2010, 11:58 AM
I recognize Kallenshaam Woods, but I haven't heard of Bear Woods before... bookmarked. I ran a quick search on eBay and came up with a few wire mesh tubes, but nothing in multiple colors... if it's no trouble, I wouldn't mind knowing where you picked it up from.

John Terefenko
11-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I recognize Kallenshaam Woods, but I haven't heard of Bear Woods before... bookmarked. I ran a quick search on eBay and came up with a few wire mesh tubes, but nothing in multiple colors... if it's no trouble, I wouldn't mind knowing where you picked it up from.

Dan, PM sent

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
John those are great looking pens. Really well done.

Dave Bell
11-19-2010, 5:41 PM
Well done on the inlay pen and the braided pen ...Nice

Dave

Billy Tallant
11-20-2010, 3:40 AM
Great looking pens! I really like the "Turners Pen".