PDA

View Full Version : Carbide Turning Tools

greg a bender
11-18-2010, 9:05 PM
I've slid into the Vortex!

My new Jet 1642 will be here tomorrow! Now I need to start feeding it:D.

My question is, other than tradition, why wouldn't I get some carbide turning tools? They really look like the cats PJ's. No sharpening, and seemingly easy to use.
I have not turned in a while (20 years), but I really do like it. Just always hated to sharpen and make sure I had the right tool at hand.

Yes, they are pricy, but, a rougher and a finisher are about the same price as a good sharpener. The replacement bits are a decent price, if they hold up.

I'm looking at these:

http://www.carbidewoodturningtools.com/

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Greg

David E Keller
11-18-2010, 10:17 PM
I've got a carbide rougher that I use occasionally, but for the most part, I prefer more traditional tools. I think there are a lot of turners that use the carbide tools almost exclusively, but I don't think I'll ever be among them. I find the traditional tools better suited for individual tasks, and it's hard to beat a long grind bowl gouge for versatility. YMMV

Ken Hill
11-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Im still a cherry, but I use both. They both have their places for sure. Both to me seem to have advantages and disadvantages, but nothing beats riding that bevel!:D

Wally Dickerman
11-18-2010, 11:32 PM
When the carbide tools came out they sent me one to try. I had it for a month then gave it to my club for others to try. It was okay, in fact impressive in some ways. I don't intend to buy one.

Wally

neil mackay
11-19-2010, 1:45 AM
I make and use carbide tools, mainly for roughing out hard woods and hogging out bowls etc.
They work well and hold an edge much longer than HSS, they will need to be sharpened at some time it all depends on usage. For finishing I revert to HSS and more conventional tools.

Harlan Coverdale
11-19-2010, 4:21 AM
I've used several carbide tools, some homemade and some bought from small one-man manufacturers. I find they are a good addition, but not a full replacement for a good bowl gouge. I will say that the cutters from Easy Wood Tools are sharper and seem to hold their edge longer than any of the other carbide cutters I've used. I don't know what they do differently to theirs, but there is a definite difference.

Peter Lamb
11-19-2010, 9:23 AM
I have three EWT tools and use them often, I have found the Easy Rougher an amazing tool for fast removal of material in roughingout of almost any form. The Easy finisher can produce a finish ready for sanding though I usually follow it with a David Ellsworth type shear scrape for a better finish.
I have tested a variety of cutters and found EWT cutters to be sharper than others and last a long time when properly used. I do still use traditional gouges in the entire process. I have recommended them to
other turners.

wes murphy
11-19-2010, 11:09 AM
I have both rougher and finisher. well the rougher is impressive in the amount of material quickly removed, the finisher is a differnet story. With the finisher, you need to have a light touch and steady feed rate otherwise you'll end up with indentations in the shape of the cutter. I agree with the other thats is hard to beat a sharp bowl gouge fior a good finish. I'm determined to master the finisher though.

Bernie Weishapl
11-19-2010, 11:11 AM
I used one and gave it back. Yes it will remove a lot of material and is fast but it is just not my cup of tea. For the price I can take a large bowl gouge and remove material just about as fast. Traditional tools to me are just more suited for different situations you run into. Like David I probably won't be among those that use the tools exclusively if at all.

Gary Max
11-19-2010, 11:15 AM
I have a couple also----collecting dust some where out in the shop.

Reed Gray
11-19-2010, 12:00 PM
The carbide tools are scrapers, which are very good for roughing cuts, and in some situations for finish cuts. They work. So do conventional gouges and scrapers. One is disposable, and the other you have to sharpen. Sharpening is really pretty simple, and does take some practice. The jigs that are available make it almost idiot proof. Find a club and attend, and ask for sharpening help. You will find a lot of people willing and eager to help. Really, it may be a bit intimidating at first, but it isn't that difficult.

Nothing it ever totally idiot proof, because if you do make some thing that is idiot proof, some one else will invent a better idiot. (author unknown to me)

robo hippy

bob svoboda
11-19-2010, 2:34 PM
I use the EWT rougher occasionally when I am rough turning several blanks at a time. I still finish the rough turn with my go to bowl gouge. I did recently, pick up the new Easy Hollower, and, although I am very new to hollowing, I find it does a nice job on the final interior scraping cuts and leaves a very smooth surface. (there is definitely a learning curve, but not bad).

Jim Burr
11-19-2010, 3:18 PM
A carbide ring finisher was included with my Monster. I use it every time turning a form that won't allow sandpaper or another smoothing method. It does a great job and for that application...really has no equal.

Ron McKinley
11-19-2010, 4:32 PM
I have four of the EWT tools and use them almost exclusively since I'm temporarily (I hope) confined to a wheelchair and can't get to my grinder. I had to make new, shorter handles for them for use while in the chair. I still use HSS tools occasionally and touch them up with sandpaper. I also have a Hunter tool but haven't quite mastered it yet. I highly recommend the EWT tools.........Ron

Mikail Khan
11-19-2010, 6:10 PM
I've never used any, but this guy shows how to make them cheaply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0hPl0dLDrM&feature=related

Here is the link to the cutters he uses.

http://www.pmcwood.com/pmc_product.php?pmcID=XCT

I will try to make one with some extra Byrd inserts I got when I bought my planer. I bought the screws for holding down the inserts from grizzly for $1 ea.

MK

greg a bender
11-19-2010, 7:26 PM
Thanks all!

Since I really want to get turning again, I think I will get a Rougher and a finisher to start. And also, as money permits, get a good set of HSS traditional tools and learn all about them.

I can see the need for both, hence the Vortex;)

Greg

dirk martin
11-19-2010, 8:00 PM
I'm suprised nobody mentioned that when using a carbide tool, you no longer produce those long pretty ribbons of wood flying off your turning.

If I recall back to my beginning days of seeing people turn for my first time, I was amazed at the wonderful ribbons of wood. Now, I produce those ribbons myself, and love them even more.

The carbide tools simply hog of wood...and I mean HOG.

Steve Bistritz
11-20-2010, 7:49 AM
I'm suprised nobody mentioned that when using a carbide tool, you no longer produce those long pretty ribbons of wood flying off your turning.

If I recall back to my beginning days of seeing people turn for my first time, I was amazed at the wonderful ribbons of wood. Now, I produce those ribbons myself, and love them even more.

The carbide tools simply hog of wood...and I mean HOG.

Dirk, it was the ribbons that sucked me into the vortex, and it never gets old............