PDA

View Full Version : 24 drawer cabinet

Jay Allen
11-18-2010, 8:14 PM
Kind of an odd unit. 48" wide and just over 36" high and 30" deep. All of the drawers are 24" deep too. It's all white melamine and extremely heavy, but it came out pretty cool. Personally, I am not a fan of the grain running the "wrong" direction, but it's a fairly common "up-grade". Apparently, someone is in favor of drop-grain matching? I just don't get it?
It's not so bad on narrow drawers like these but on a drawer that is 30" wide and only 6" high? You could never do that with real wood, so why with laminate? Just because you can?
The other is a two-sided cubbie hole unit that goes in the same room. The whole thing seems like an exercise in building the heaviest thing possible :eek:

Jim Rimmer
11-18-2010, 9:26 PM
Did you make these?

You said it was white melamine - inside?

Jay Allen
11-19-2010, 6:44 AM
Yes, inside. You can see into the top of it because it was designed to have a separate counter-top type top. I should have taken a pic with one of the drawers open, but I will probably never see it again. Once installed, a lot of what I build is not exactly "public", that's why most of the pics that I have are taken in the shop.
The cubbie hole unit is just laminated has no separate top. It is quite a bit taller at about 60".

Yes, I built them both, that is my assembly bench and tool box in the background. I work in a cabinet shop that serves a mostly commercial clientèle. I build reception desks, nurse's stations, teller lines, casework for attorney's offices, cabinets for breakrooms, trophy cases, etc. and even an occasional entertainment center or kitchen table...

C Scott McDonald
11-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Cool, didn't know melamine came in other color then white.

Jay Allen
11-19-2010, 4:00 PM
Cool, didn't know melamine came in other color then white.

The white melamine is the base material, it does have a wood grained laminate on the places you can see from the outside. The open cubbie unit is just particle board, no need to waste melamine there, it is laminated everywhere.
But, in answer to your question, yes you can get it on other colors. In fact just last week I did and entire room full of cabinets that were done in "Almond" melamine with a black laminate outer skin. Probably the next most common color is black, but there are other colors..