PDA

View Full Version : Not so little box...

Michael Stafford
12-29-2004, 2:43 PM
Here is a commissioned box I made for a gentleman's daughter for Christmas.

I found this maple board in my hardwood supplier's bin and it was so beat up and rough looking that he just gave it to me. :rolleyes: I was able to get this 11"x14"x4"deep not including feet box from it. It is trimmed in walnut.

The lid lifts up and as you do so it falls into a slot at the rear of the interior and holds it vertical. When you lift it again it will roll down into a closed position. :)

I did not choose the lining, a little loud for my taste but it is done in red velour. :cool:

Thanks for looking! :D

Silas Smith
12-29-2004, 3:47 PM
projects always seem to turn out a little better when the wood is free! Maybe it's just the pressure of screwing up is off. That is a great looking box, maple and walnut are just about my favorite combination. I agree about the color of the interior, but if it makes the customer happy than who am I to argue.

Richard Ahrens
12-29-2004, 4:17 PM
Great looking box, I am sure it will be well received. Was this a plan of your own design?

Steve Beadle
12-29-2004, 5:10 PM
Nice work, Mike! I'm not sure if I see some splines on those mitered corners or not. Do I?

Michael Stafford
12-29-2004, 5:29 PM
Yes, the mitered corners were first biscuited then for decorative purposes splined with walnut.

Chris Padilla
12-29-2004, 5:33 PM
Mike,

Could you provide a bit more detailed shot of how you did the lid hinging? Or, is the box long gone now?? :(

Charlie Plesums
12-29-2004, 5:53 PM
...I found this maple board in my hardwood supplier's bin and it was so beat up and rough looking that he just gave it to me. I hope the beat up and rough looking curly maple board that I paid $40 for :( at my hardwood supplier is that good when I get to the surface. I am jealous.

Nice design and workmanship.

Michael Stafford
12-29-2004, 6:23 PM
Mike,

Could you provide a bit more detailed shot of how you did the lid hinging? Or, is the box long gone now?? :(

Chris, the box is gone, it was a Christmas present.

The box has an inner liner of walnut that you can see in the picture. At the back end of the sides the liner is notched and rounded so that as you lift the lid by the handle it just slides and rolls into the notch. The notch is deep enough so that it will hold the lid vertical until you lift it out and roll the lid forward to close it. Make any sense? :confused:

Jim Becker
12-29-2004, 6:54 PM
Big Mike, that's a beautiful box! Nice job. 'Just goes to show you that there is a lot of beauty hidden in boards that look at first to be "worthless"...to some eyes, but not the real woodworker's!

Mark Stutz
12-29-2004, 8:16 PM
Beautiful , Mike. I'm still having a little trouble visualizing the lid mechanism. Is there a pivot pin into the sides, or could you lift the entire lid off the box if desired? Thanks for sharing.

Michael Stafford
12-29-2004, 8:44 PM
Beautiful , Mike. I'm still having a little trouble visualizing the lid mechanism. Is there a pivot pin into the sides, or could you lift the entire lid off the box if desired?

Mark, the lid is completely free from the box. If you turn the box upside down the lid falls off. No pivot pin.

The inner liner is notched on the sides at the rear just enough to accommodate the lifting and pivoting action of the lid as you swing it to vertical. I do not know how to explain it any better. It is easy to understand in action but hard to visualize, I guess.

I have made a half dozen boxes with the same lid operation but I don't have any pictures of it up close. :o Next time... :rolleyes:

Mark Stutz
12-29-2004, 8:48 PM
Mike,
I think I got it. :D It makes sense when I visualize it free from the box. I was having trouble with a sliding pivot point. Great idea. I never really like removable lids since you had to lay down the lid. This is a terrific design.