PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Planer

Greg Hines, MD
11-18-2010, 5:45 PM
Has anyone ever seen or used one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O0D6NS/ref=pe_86520_17675660_pe_epc_t2

I have a 12" planer, but no jointer, and this seems like an interesting compromise.

Doc

Neil Brooks
11-18-2010, 6:20 PM
A couple of threads (http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=Jet+JJP-8BT+site%3Asawmillcreek.org&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B7GGLL_enUS364US364&ie=UTF-8) exist for this machine, if that's of any help :)

Lance Norris
11-18-2010, 6:23 PM
The general opinion is that the tables are too short for these Jet combos to be very effective jointers. That isnt the case as far as the euro combo machines are concerned. I have no first hand knowledge though, just what I have read. Take that for what its worth.

greg a bender
11-18-2010, 8:31 PM
From what I have read, most consider that one kind of junk.
The Jet 12", on the other hand, appears very nice and I am looking to upgade.
This coming from some one with an old Inca 10" combo, that is very nice, but a tad short for 8' or 10' work.

Greg

Mike Ashton
11-18-2010, 9:46 PM
I used to have the 10" version, I went to extreme measures to get that thing to work as advertised and finally gave up. I added 2 plywood shelves to the base and loaded them with 150 lbs of sand, then would set up 4 horses with mdf tables screwed down for feed tables and still couldn't get it to work well.

The motor is a tiny universal model that bogged down taking off 1/32" from 5" wide maple (jointing). I put it on CL and was happy to see it go. I already had a DW735, so I hadn't planed on using it for a planer. I did try the planer and had the same results. I checked everything over and talked to their tech support many times, ended up getting the impression they know the machine doesn't work well. The machine is so light they are easy to tip over, actually scary at times.

I ended up finding an 8" Delta Rockwell jointer on CL and recently added a Byrd head, much happier with this setup and get substantially better results.

Thomas Delpizzo
11-18-2010, 10:19 PM
If you decide to go the combination route, you may have to spend more $ and consider something like this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Jointer-Planer/G0633

Roger Jensen
11-18-2010, 10:35 PM
My advice is to get the best jointer that you can afford and fit in your space. I used to joint on my router table, then had a Jet 6", and last year bit the bullet and got the Hammer A3-31. I know you aren't considering anything like the Hammer (completely different product and price-point than the Jet you asked about), but my point is that you'll appreciate having a worry-free flat edge on everything you build. It really changes your woodworking experience if you are doing any kind of work that requires straight/square sides.

Roger

John Coloccia
11-18-2010, 10:47 PM
The 12" Jet J/P is a very nice machine. The smaller ones are not so nice IMHO. I have the 12" J/P and it's a good machine. This is very much a case of you get what you pay for.