PDA

View Full Version : bowl & brush

Paul Williams
11-18-2010, 5:19 PM
Got a little shop time this week so I turned a shaving brush for a friend and a small bowl from a russian olive large branch that fell in a windstorm last spring.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/5188260906_5da2842e6c.jpg

There is a small crack visable in the photo to the right of the brush handle. It goes all the way through and is filled with ca. The bottom isn't as flat as I would like, but if I made it flat it would be a funnel. 2x5 with 1/8 to 3/16 wall. The wall is just a little thicker at the rim than the lower wall. I have a few more small pieces and 6 large chunks from the olive tree.

Josh Bowman
11-18-2010, 5:42 PM
Looks great. How about a profile picture?

Prashun Patel
11-18-2010, 5:42 PM
Really pretty. I love the color. Can you describe yr finish?

Paul Williams
11-18-2010, 8:35 PM
Here is the best profile photo I have. The lighting is not good and there are reflections from the white sheet on the bowl sides. Color is a little off. This side has a little dent/scratch that I didn't see until I was several coats into the finish. Since this was practice and I have a lot more of this wood I let it go.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1306/5188075485_f74a9b34fd.jpg

Becasue of the open grain of the russian olive the finish was kind of a mish-mash with several coats sanded off. I used mineral oil and wipe on poly for the initial coat and then wop on the outside. After I turned the inside I used some ca to fill cracks and some spots in the grain. Sanded that down and did a coat of mineral oil and ca to futher fill the grain. I sanded that back to bare wood and then started building coats of wop. on several of the inside coats I also wiped the outside with my wop rag. At least twice I didn't like the look I was getting because of open spots in the grain showing through and I sanded back and started over with wop. The end result is I have no idea how many coats are on this bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2010, 9:52 PM
That is a nice looking set. That wood is some nice looking RO.

David E Keller
11-18-2010, 9:56 PM
It's pretty wood, and the bowl and brush look great.

I'm a bit confused about the finish... My understanding is that mineral oil never dries, so I don't understand using poly over the top of it. It seems like mineral oil would be a stand alone finish or maybe combined with wax. Just curious...

Baxter Smith
11-18-2010, 10:11 PM
That is some pretty wood!

Paul Williams
11-18-2010, 10:44 PM
David, I have been using mineral oil to bring out the grain color in walnut and white oak with lots of figure in it. I also use it with ca and as a lubricant when sanding. I have never waited for it to dry, but burn it in with a rag and the lathe on higher speed. Then I put the first coat of finish on right away. Usually no problem. Every once in awhile I'll get a gummy first coat that I sand off. I have pieces that are 5 or 6 years old and the finish has held up to normal use. My can is about empty and I plan to try BLO or Antique Oil next. I have gotten some good looking pen finishes with ca and mineral oil. I started using it on pens when mineral oil was the only oil that I had on hand and wanted to try a ca finish. It worked well and I extended it to other pieces. Everything I have used it on has been relatively small. perhaps a little bit of oil spread real thin on dry wood doesn't need to dry but just gets soaked in.