PDA

View Full Version : Now this is what I call Customer service

Zahid Naqvi
11-18-2010, 3:44 PM
So I ordered a set of Narex chisels Lee Valley had on sale a couple weeks ago. I had pumice and rotten stone in my wish list waiting on some additional items. Anyway the order got delivered last week. The pumice and rotten stone comes in a dispenser like an over sized salt/pepper shaker. During transportation the bottom of the pumice can/shaker came off and about a third of it has spilled inside the box. The quantity is probably large enough (1 lb box) to last me several years, a loss of a third wasn't a big deal. I figured I should let them know for future reference for improved packing. The customer service rep I talked to immediately said he is going to ship me a second box, no questions asked and at no cost to me. I didn't even ask for it I was calling to suggest how they can improve packaging.

I know we don't hesitate to complain when a vendor screws up, I figure we need vouch for the good guys out there who still care for their customers. No vested interest just a happy customer :D

Kevin Womer
11-18-2010, 4:00 PM
I agree, we are quick to complain when a vender makes a mistake. That is great to hear about LV, they have a top notch reputation and I love their handtools. I am waiting for free shipping to add a smoother.

Neil Brooks
11-18-2010, 4:06 PM
_Another_ good word for LV, and how they handle problems !

And ... I wholeheartedly agree: it's one thing to throw a few bucks at a customer whose reasonable expectations weren't met.

It's quite another, though, and -- I would argue a much more important thing -- to listen to their feedback, and -- whenever possible -- use it to change business practices.

Lots of us ... are NOT just cranky, whiny old men, looking for a freebie :p

Some of us ... truly want businesses to do better -- figuring that -- in doing so -- we'll all benefit !

Bill Wyko
11-18-2010, 4:12 PM
Lee Valley is a class act. I've always had excellent service from them.

Dave Lehnert
11-18-2010, 4:31 PM
I also placed an order for the Narex chisels. Lee Valley sent me two 3/8" Chisels but no 5/16" in the set. One call and I received my replacement 5/16" chisel today. Told me to keep the extra 3/8" :eek:
Keeping the other chisel is way above expectation from a retailer.
I want to purchase a low angle jack plane as soon as I get back to work. It will be a Lee Valley brand for sure. It's a good feeling to know when you spend $200 on something and have a problem, it will be taken care of 100%, 100% of the time.

Don Bullock
11-19-2010, 11:35 PM
I bought the Narex chisels set from Lee Valley based mainly on their reputation. I figured that if they were selling them that they would certainly be good quality and from what I can determine from the chisels, I was right.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Yup......good customer service generates a lot of good advertisement.

Dan Karachio
11-20-2010, 10:29 AM
In my experience Lee Valley sets a standard in customer service - as both a manufacturer, online store and (I am sure) retail outlet.

I am really starting to believe that truly great customer service is one of these "either you get it or you don't" kind of things that can't be taught, and that those who fail will never learn. This means that if you have poor service it's time to clean house, not watch a few inspirational videos or have a "retreat" with some touchy-feely infomercial-esque consultant facilitating the event. Of course, poor service can also originate from the top.

Peter Quinn
11-20-2010, 9:25 PM
Only good LV experiences here. I too ordered the Narex mortising chisels on sale, seem like some pretty solid chisels for the price.

Jim Leslie
11-21-2010, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=
I want to purchase a low angle jack plane as soon as I get back to work. It will be a Lee Valley brand for sure. It's a good feeling to know when you spend $200 on something and have a problem, it will be taken care of 100%, 100% of the time.[/QUOTE]

I have one of those low angle's and love it. Also I've been dealing with LV for a couple decades now, and their customer service has been consistently excellent throughout. I'd be suspicious of anyone who complains about it.

Bill White
11-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Very few companies really have a sense of customer service. Lee Valley (and Grizz) just get it right. Wouldn't ya like to sit in on a customer service staff meeting. Good on 'em.
Bill

Jon McElwain
12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I have had nothing but excellent customer service from all the Canadian tool companies I have done business from. Lee Valley, General, Oneway - I am beginning the think the Canadians are on to something!

Neil Brooks
12-01-2010, 2:41 PM
I agree with quality customer service. I disagree that Grizzly fits that category. I was treated like Elaine in Seinfeld episode with the soup Nazi. I'll gladly drop an extra $500 on a new tool from anyone else but Grizzly. Cheapest isn't always. Because of their shameful treatment, they have lost out on $5000 of new business so far. And still counting.

Got it.

You had a bad experience with them.

On the other hand, LOTS of us had GREAT experiences with their Customer Service (though, admittedly, I'd rather not have to ;))