PDA

View Full Version : Persimmon

Dale Winburn
11-18-2010, 2:27 PM
I helped a friend cut down a Persimmon tree today and I now have a pick-up load of Persimmon wood. It's about 16" to 18" diameter at the base. Can anyone give me some information about Persimmon, how can I use it? I know it's a very hard wood.

Thanks,
Dale

Del Hollingsworth
11-18-2010, 2:33 PM
It is really terrible stuff. Best thing to do is put it on a truck and send it to me in Dallas. I will get rid of it for you.

Ken Hill
11-18-2010, 2:39 PM
Seal it fast!!! Great wood, can be a little plain but spalts easily

David Woodruff
11-18-2010, 2:50 PM
Persimmon is also known as American Ebony as it belongs to the Genus Diosypros, as does African Ebony.

Sean Hughto
11-18-2010, 4:07 PM
I turned some green. It was really sweet to turn. It did not crack at all in drying, but the bowl made the longest oval I've seen - especially for the size - only about 8 inches diameter.

Reed Gray
11-18-2010, 6:12 PM
I only had one persimmon tree. Nice enough wood, but smelled like old tires, and the smell never went away. It can spault some, but more in the grey range, kind of like holly.

robo hippy

John Beck
11-18-2010, 6:36 PM
Persommon is a great turning wood. The native persimmon diospyros virginiana was widely used in 19th century textile mills for bobbins and spindles. Easy to turn when green, hard when dry.

Jim Underwood
11-18-2010, 9:21 PM
Ever since I got that old, cracked, spalted, dried up piece and turned a bowl out of it, I've wished I had more.

Of course it is very hard stuff, even the spalted part of that bowl was hard to sand...

I'll take all I can find...:)

Roger Chandler
11-18-2010, 9:33 PM
Dale,

I have never turned Persimmon, but I believe from what I hear that you will like turning it. I am looking forward to see what you make from it!

I am hoping before long to turn at least one half of the mulberry that you gave me. Hopefully before the end of the year, but I might have to rough turn, and then seal and place in some paper and a bag, then finish it in the spring.

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2010, 9:40 PM
That is a nice wood to turn. I like turning it green and as was said it can be a little plain. I would get the ends sealed as soon as possible.

Ron Jones near Indy
11-18-2010, 9:52 PM
I helped a friend cut down a Persimmon tree today and I now have a pick-up load of Persimmon wood. It's about 16" to 18" diameter at the base. Can anyone give me some information about Persimmon, how can I use it? I know it's a very hard wood.

Thanks,
Dale

The very best use for a persimmon tree is to produce fruit to make PUDDING!

Nathan Hawkes
11-19-2010, 12:20 AM

Thanks,
Dale

Dale, you must have a record tree there! Seriously; I've never seen one bigger than about 8-10" in diameter. Pics required or it didn't happen! ;)

Seal it quick!