PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Josh Bowman
11-18-2010, 1:59 PM
I've got this piece of junk wood I found at a friends lumber mill. Well it was punky inside, and hard as a rock on the outside. I'm really wanting this to pop. So I need help and opinons with a finish.

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2010, 2:28 PM
Josh - that's a good looking bowl and looks like Oak to me. This is one of those times where I would want some form of an oil based finish that reaches down into the wood and highlights the differences within.

Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

Tony De Masi
11-18-2010, 2:30 PM
I responsed to the poll with " something else ". It looks like you may have a bit of an issue if you tried to buff that especially on the inside where the inclusion is. Tough to say exactly but I would probably put on a coat or two of either BLO or AO and leave it be.

Dennis Ford
11-18-2010, 2:48 PM
I also picked "something else". An oil will make the grain pop. I use Belen's pure tung oil thinned with mineral spirits, danish oil yields a similar appearance. If you want a glossy finish, it will require some filling of the pores.

Cathy Schaewe
11-18-2010, 6:20 PM
I too am fairly certain that's oak.

Greg Just
11-18-2010, 6:22 PM
something else. Like others said, BLO or AO and buff. Should be beautiful

John Keeton
11-18-2010, 6:28 PM
One more vote for an oil based finish. It looks like you have it sanded out fairly well. But, if you feel you need to sand some more and it is punky you may want to give it a good soaking of WOP and let it sit for a few days to harden up some. Then finish sanding, and continue finishing with the WOP.

I also think it is oak, and it is really going to pop with some oil or WOP!

Josh Bowman
11-18-2010, 6:49 PM
Guess I left out, "it's oak part":o. Looks like the oil finish wins and man does it pop.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-18-2010, 7:09 PM
Josh, I can only tell you what I would use if it were mine. I had two Pecan bowls that I used BLO to pop the wood then used a Poly. A lacquer could also be used. Pictured are the bowls so you can judge the result.

Bowl 1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=50808&d=1164308964) Bowl 2 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=48742&d=1161303317)

Michael James
11-18-2010, 7:18 PM
definitely oil and.........sealer, topcoat of your choice and wax if you want!

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2010, 9:57 PM
I agree with a oil finish and I wouldn't buff with the inclusion. I like Antique Oil to make things pop.

Jon Lanier
11-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Shellac/sand/ then an oil to 'pop' it.

Jim Burr
11-19-2010, 9:17 AM
AO and wait a good 10-14 days to cure then WoP. That is a beautiful chunk of bowl!!

Thomas Canfield
11-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Something else. I would blow off dust, buff with Tripoli, blow out any Tripoli
dust, apply a oil/polyurethane varnish mix wipe on/off, and repeat the Tripoli buff, oil/poly for about 3 or 4 coats, and finish with Tripoli buff and Renaisance wax. It is surprising that the Tripoli seems to fill any small surface holes, and is absorbed into the mix. A heavy wipe on followed after about 5 to 10 minutes with paper towel wipe off will build up the finish. Coats can usually be applied about 24 to 48 hours apart depending on temperature (60F minimum and some heat to 120F will help) and humidity. Final buffing and wax should be delayed until finish is completely dry, 1 week or so for best result. My oil/poly mix is 4 danish to 1 polyurethane varnish or equivalent. Antique Oil does a good job also. This produces darker and slightly red/brown tone to the wood but an excellent feel.

George Guadiane
11-20-2010, 2:04 PM
Guess I left out, "it's oak part":o. Looks like the oil finish wins and man does it pop.

In fairness, you asked for opinions (I also voted "something else" - oil based finish), now you should show us the results. :D

Josh Bowman
11-20-2010, 5:45 PM
Oak Burl, 2 coats so far of Danish Oil finish. I intend to buff it out after the oil is hard. The bowl is 9 x 3 inches. Critiques welcome.

Nate Davey
11-20-2010, 5:50 PM
Nice choice and a awesome job on a beautiful piece of wood.