PDA

View Full Version : 3 Grand to "burn" er... turn

Rick Markham
11-18-2010, 11:49 AM
If y'all had a ballpark area of $3000 to spend just on a lathe (no tools, just the machine) what would you do? I've been looking at the DVR, and the powermatic in that price range... drooling over the Oneways, and Robust lathes but they are just a bit over what I can "justify" I'm not limited to those choices but I want to hear from yous guys... I am primarily interested in Hollow forms. Bowls as a second... and spindles at the bottom of the list.

I have a small shop, there is only room for one Lathe, no Midi's or mini's. It needs to be a "keeper" and something that will be very difficult to outgrow. I've watched Craigslist for well over 18 months, and it just ain't gonna happen round here... so new it is.

Help me choose... Please :D

Scott Hackler
11-18-2010, 12:05 PM
At $3000 tops, the Powermatic (new) isnt going to be on the list. I would concider bumping just a bit for the Powermatic or looking at the biggest Jet you could get for the $3000.

The key will be a balance in: power, weight, varible speed, max turning diameter.

I turn on a $899 (on sale) Nova 1624 and am thinking about an upgrade next year. My thing is that now that I have conformed that this turning thing is for me, I dont want to upgrade but one more time. I admit looking seriously at Robust! That American Beauty is a heck of a lathe!

Greg Bender
11-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Rick,
if I had $3k to spend ,a 3520 would be my only target.Seems to me that recently Toolnut or somewhere else was quoting right at $3000 and might still be wanting to sell some.The other motivator would be the inevitable 1st of the year price increases.Good Shopping!
Greg

Edward Orecchio
11-18-2010, 12:13 PM
The 3520b powermatic is now onsale through CraftSupply for $3299 now just got one.Regular list is at least 3799. Had (still have) a Nova3000DVRxp-16" swing. According to some source here in the sawmill creek forum-Nova is bring out something comprable to the Powermatic 3520-size and price. Want to buy my old one? Ed

Paul McGaha
11-18-2010, 12:16 PM
PM Monster on sale for $3199 at toolsplus, probably others.

I would see what toolnut can do for you.

Good luck with it.

bob svoboda
11-18-2010, 12:18 PM
I've had the 3520B for almost a year now. I got it on sale from Tool Nut (great service) and have been 100% happy with the decision. Good Luck in your quest.

Mitch McGee
11-18-2010, 12:32 PM
I just got mine fron Osolnik Machnery. They are very familiar with the Mustard Mosnter.

I picked the monster because of its compact footprint. (24"x50"). The sliding head stock has made my bowl hollowing much more comfortable. But, the sheer mass of all that cast iron is what impressed me the most. My turning is now smoother and quieter than I thought possible.

Good luck with your lathe hunt!

Cheers,

Roger Chandler
11-18-2010, 12:33 PM
For the money, you probably won't find a better one than the Powermatic 3520b, but I will say that I really like my Grizzly G0698, for half of that, and I have turned on both..............

The Mustard has the reputation, and a good warranty, but performance wise, I have seen just as good with my Grizzly G0698............

that being said, If I were going to buy today and had enough for the PM 3520b, I would probably go with that myself.......simply as it is heavier, and has a longer warranty and has a 2" more capacity in swing, but 13" less between centers.

Good luck!

alex carey
11-18-2010, 12:43 PM
yep go for the pm, I bought it from toolnut for around 2900$ and that came WITH the 18" extension.

David E Keller
11-18-2010, 12:59 PM
I got my PM 3520b from Toolnut, and I've been very happy with it. I would definitely check with them. I've turned on a Oneway, and I didn't feel the price was justified... It's a fine lathe, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money for one with the capacity of my PM. I've never used the Jet, Grizzly, or Nova lathes.

I'd recommend a tail stock swingaway if you want to do hollowing... It helps a lot with the adding/removing a steady rest and hollowing rig. That my 2 bits

Doug Thompson
11-18-2010, 1:16 PM
I could get a 3520 for your price... call me this week because they are on sale. Doug 440-241-6360

Greg Ketell
11-18-2010, 4:19 PM
At $3000 tops, the Powermatic (new) isnt going to be on the list.

Actually, last I heard (a couple of weeks ago) the 3520 could be had for just under $3000 from ToolNut. Worth a phone call at the very least.

Scott Hackler
11-18-2010, 4:24 PM
Actually, last I heard (a couple of weeks ago) the 3520 could be had for just under $3000 from ToolNut. Worth a phone call at the very least.

Wow, I stand corrected. Thats a good price on that lathe.

Andrew Kertesz
11-18-2010, 4:40 PM
The DVR is on sale until the end of the month for $1699.00. Based on your available cash that leaves plenty of room for extras...

Steve Kubien
11-18-2010, 5:02 PM
If you are up to waiting, the Kiwi's are coming out with a larger capacity DVR but it won't be until mid-2011. Not sure of the price tag or the details so it maybe a wait for nothing for what you want to do.

If I was in your shoes and looking to buy now, I would be grabbing a DVR while it is on sale plus a set of their cast iron legs and an extension. That still keeps a few hundred in your pocket for chucks, faceplates, tools etc etc.

Rick Markham
11-18-2010, 5:15 PM
Thanks for the input guys... the PM definitely has my eye right now. I am tempted to see what the upcoming DVR has to offer, but I have essentially already waited 10 years to get into this, and I have been seriously looking for 18 months... so I don't really care to wait anymore. Maybe Christmas will come early this year :D. I am looking at the swing away tailstock option, and eventually a bed extension. Right now I am mostly concerned on getting a machine that will be my "first & last" lathe purchase.

Yes the robust American Beauty and Sweet 16 look like beautiful machines... Not sure I can wait long enough to save that much more... I might explode.

Dan Forman
11-18-2010, 5:28 PM
You won't be disappointed with the PM, it's widely regarded as the best bang for the buck at that price range.

Dan

Christopher K. Hartley
11-18-2010, 6:41 PM
... drooling over the Oneways, and Robust lathes but they are just a bit over what I can "justify" ...Help me choose... Please :DRick, did you by chance look at the Robust Liberty at $3695.00? I know that is over the three but it might be worth a second consideration if at all possible. I own the American Beauty and you won't find a better engineered lathe with better service than a Robust.:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2010, 9:59 PM
I would be on the 3520B without a second thought.

Rick Markham
11-20-2010, 4:04 AM
Christopher, I will definitely take a look at it. I got distracted by the American beauty and the Sweet 16. The price really isn't "out of the budget" It's just pushing the limits a bit. If it means waiting on a few tools, I am a patient individual, I wanna make sure I get the most bang for my buck machine wise. I only want to buy one of these things :D

Paul McGaha
11-20-2010, 7:35 AM
Rick,

I'm not sure if Jet and Powermatic are going to have other sales for Thanksgiving or Christmas but the sale the currently have going on for their lathes ends today.

PHM

Rick Markham
11-20-2010, 8:59 AM
Yeah, I guess I am going to miss this one, unfortunately. Ugh...

John Shuk
11-20-2010, 10:36 AM
I have a feeling that Sean at the Toolnut could make a Powermatic appear in your driveway for pretty darn close to that.
Oneway and Robust are awesome machines but so is the Powermatic. Big difference in price and I have always been stunned at how nice the PM is. I've turned on a a Nova DVR and they are nice machines but I don't consider them in the same league as the PM.

Doug Thompson
11-20-2010, 10:49 AM
My source says the sale was extented until next friday.

Dan Hintz
11-20-2010, 7:58 PM
Paul/Rick,

The lathes (among other things) will be brought back for a couple of days for the Thanksgiving/Black Friday weekend... you haven't missed it completely, so save your pennies.

Rick Markham
11-21-2010, 2:22 AM
Cool thanks guys! That just might give me enough time! We shall see

Tony Wheeler
11-21-2010, 9:22 PM
get the 3520 and the bed extention while the shipping is free the cost is high to ship the extention later

Greg Ketell
11-21-2010, 9:29 PM
osolnikmachinery.com had the best price today. ~$2900 delivered.

Jim Leslie
11-21-2010, 11:50 PM
I agonized over my purchase for lathe #3. I ended up with a Vicmarc 175 and am 100%+ satisfied with it. I almost bought a Oneway but in the end glad I went with the Australian made Vicmarc. There is an excellent hollow turning tool support system for it also. One of the nicest features is that the head swivels allowing larger platter or bowl turning. There is an external tool support that allows outboard turning also. Digital speed readout and variable speed of course. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Bill Bulloch
11-22-2010, 12:04 AM
If you could only find $200 more you would be in luck. The Powermatic is on ebay, buy now price of $3199.00, with free shipping -- and ofcourse no tax. Now that's a deal.

Dan Hintz
11-22-2010, 6:20 AM
The lathe prices appear to be the same for Thanksgiving, but the bandsaw prices appear to have dropped $200 (at least for the 18 incher)... figures I would wait on the lathe purchase until now, but jump on the bandsaw two months ago :(

Reed Gray
11-22-2010, 12:29 PM
If you are concerned about making bowls over 16 inches, first choice would be the PM. I turned on one for 8 years. I now have the American Beauty. My second choice for a 16 inch lathe would be the Sweet 16, then the Jet 2 hp 220 volt lathe. I do prefer the sliding headstock. The Nova DVR is a good lathe, but not my choice. One thing I don't like is the minimum speed of around 100 rpm (I think, it used to be about 200 or so). I turn green to final thickness, and to sand out my warped bowls (I let them dry first as it is much easier to sand them out dry rather than wet) I have to have rpm speeds of 10 to 20 or else I can't keep the abrasives on the wood, and would have to use the spindle lock. The Jet and PM converters can be programmed down to those speeds, and the 3520 A used to come that way, but now they shut off at 50 rpm. A bit fast for my taste.

Best tool purchases I have made for my shop, are lathe, centralized dust collector (Oneida), and a big bandsaw (Laguna 16HD).

robo hippy

Gary Conklin
11-22-2010, 12:51 PM
One of our members Dave Schell, bought a bare bones Vicmarc VL300 and did the wiring, motor, and VFD himself. I belive he came in just over your figure.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102818

$2300 - Barebones VL300 lathe from Craft Supplies
$250 - Leeson motor from Bearings Direct
$255 - Fuji motor drive from Drives Warehouse
$75 - Switches from Automation Direction
$100 - Wood and bolts from Home Depot (for cabinet)
$50 - Misc - hardware, wire, paint

Total: $3030
Price for complete VL300 from CS: $4500 - Savings $1575
Price of Oneway 2416 with 3HP: $6350 - Savings $3320

David Woodruff
11-22-2010, 2:03 PM
Two lathes Grizzly G0694 @ $2500.00 or PM 3520B @ $3200.00 Maybe a little less. I would go for the PM. Grizzzly seems to have tiny detail problems that keep popping up. Likely the majority of owners never have a problem and we just hear from those that do. Life is not always fair.
Consider that if you go Grizz $600. - $700. will buy a lot of goodies, vacuum stuff, chucks, thompson chisels. I might go Grizz. It is indeed a difficult choice. Which one is the heavier?, there is a lot to be said for mass.

Rick Markham
11-22-2010, 5:46 PM
David, mass is certainly a major consideration in all of this for me. I'm doing my best to take my time, so far the PM is in the lead. Unless I just decide to keep saving and get a Sweet 16, it's really tempting... by that time, it might be hard for me to give up that much cash LOL

Glenn Weathington
11-22-2010, 7:01 PM
Since no one else has mentioned it, what about a Vicmark 300CS with a motor,controller, and stand added on? The price would be comparable to the PM 3520B. Of course it is more work to do in order to have a fully functional lathe.
Missed Gary Conklin's informative post.

Pete Jordan
11-22-2010, 7:05 PM
Go Mustard!

Rick Markham
11-22-2010, 7:19 PM
Glenn, I only briefly got a chance to look at the Vicmark, I will definitely consider it, I need to do more research on it though. It was just one that I had "come across" in a search for something else, so I didn't spend the time to research it like I should have

Gary Conklin
11-22-2010, 9:41 PM
The Vic is a great lathe. Worth looking at as above!