PDA

View Full Version : My wife said it looks like Easter

Josh Bowman
11-18-2010, 9:56 AM
This is a firewood bowl (maple) that I rough turned back in the Spring. I had made a cove near the lip, but didn't like it, so I turned it away. Buuuuut that made the area very thin. So this became a canidate for a dye experiment:D. My little girl decided it should be teal. So she said I should try blue and lime green (12 year old thing);)
Rubber gloves doned and DNA at hand, I proceeded with a mixing and blessings from Steve S's old post. I first but on the royal blue, the bowl immediately became a football! The thin sides became like paper. While being consoled by a SMC member, it had already in 30 minutes began to go back into shape. However the thin areas deformed and remained....just firewood:eek:
I then sanded back and found the dye really goes away, so you have to be easy. I then put on the Lime Green, but it was not enough to overcome the Royal Blue. I'll try yellow next time, but the girl likes it. I buffed it with the Beal. And learned a new process.

Chris Colman
11-18-2010, 10:02 AM
I like it! Looks pretty good for firewood.

It is amazing what a little color can do. You have inspired me to experiment.

I also like your "snorkels" for your dust collection system.

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Looks great. I just started using dyes and it is amazing what a little color will do for a plain piece of wood.

John Keeton
11-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Josh, there are times and reasons to do multiple appications, but if you are after one consistent color - teal - you can blend the dyes for the right color before applying them so that you have only one application.

I would say you and your daughter should be pleased with the outcome.

Steve Schlumpf
11-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Josh - for an experiment on a piece of firewood - I think you did pretty good! Cool thing is that even though you didn't quite get the color you were looking for - you did have a turning project that you and your daughter shared! That trumps everything!

Looking forward to seeing where your dye experience takes you!

Have fun!

Roger Chandler
11-18-2010, 1:18 PM
[QUOTE=Josh Bowman;1561521] I proceeded with a mixing and blessings from Steve S's old post. /QUOTE]

Yep, that Steve S. is pretty good at getting people to experiment with dyes and such after seeing all his pretty stuff, and he aggs us on :eek: [really just encourages :)].........

I've been pondering some new dyed pieces myself.......Christmas ornaments in green, red, and maybe blue and gold..........have to find the dyes though.........

Nice one Josh..........bet it isn't your last one :D and who knows where you might end up........;)

David E Keller
11-18-2010, 2:51 PM
I like it... It does have a pastel/Easter quality about it.

Rick Robbins
11-18-2010, 2:54 PM
very nice looking bowl. i have a big Delta ironbed. want to do bowl's someday. you two should be proud. Rick:)

David DeCristoforo
11-18-2010, 3:41 PM
Your wife is spot on... Easter. Save that one. I can just see it filled with colored eggs!