PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID

Greg Just
11-17-2010, 9:56 PM
Any guesses as to what kind of wood this is? I know it came from Rockler.

Thanks in advance.

David E Keller
11-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Looks like cocobolo or some kind of rosewood. Tulipwood is another possibility. It's nice looking no matter what you call it.

Craig Powers
11-17-2010, 10:46 PM
My guess would be Tulipwood ....which is one of the rosewoods.
Beautiful stuff.

Clint Baxter
11-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Appears to look darker than most of the tulipwood I've seen. Agree that it appears to be one of the rosewoods though. And I think it's too light to be kingwood. Regardless of which type wood it is, it's definitely nice and appears to turn well.

Clint

Josh Bowman
11-18-2010, 7:19 AM
It's beautiful wood. :D

Bruce Pratt
11-18-2010, 5:11 PM
+1 for Tulipwood, aka Brazilian Rosewood, Dalbergia frutescens. Just turned two wine glass stems out of a piece. Will post pix on separate thread.
----------
Bruce Pratt

Prashun Patel
11-18-2010, 5:45 PM
Whatever wood it is, it appears to me to be stained or dyed to match rosewood. The coloring is not quite uniform as natural rosewood might be.

Greg Just
11-18-2010, 6:20 PM
Whatever wood it is, it appears to me to be stained or dyed to match rosewood. The coloring is not quite uniform as natural rosewood might be.

It's not stained or dyed. It is a very hard wood, turns great and buffed to a beautiful shine. My SIL bought it at Rockler and the label fell off.

Thanks for the comments

Gary Herrmann
11-18-2010, 7:05 PM
Kingwood maybe? Turns just like tulipwood and is related, I believe.

Jack Mincey
11-18-2010, 7:15 PM
What ever kind it turns out to be it is very pretty. I don't think that it is tulipwood since all the tulipwood I've turned is pink in color. It looks like a rose wood to me. What did it smell like when you turned it. Cocobolo is the rose wood I've turned and it has a strong but not unpleasant of a smell. Tulipwood has a pleasant smell almost like the fragrance of a flower when I've turned it. If it is rosewood you don't want to smell it much or it could prove to be a problem. I use a cartridge type respirator when turning cocobolo.
Jack