PDA

View Full Version : Offering Plates in Oak

Ted Calver
11-17-2010, 7:24 PM
A set of four donated to a small church in Williamsburg, Va. A former co-worker called and asked if I would help them out with turned offering plates for their new church. They wanted them in Oak to match their furniture. Coincidentally, a neighbor took down two large oak trees and offered me the wood. Most went to the firewood pile, but I saved enough to do these. They are roughly 12" x 2" and were rough turned, DNA soaked for several days, wrapped in several layers of newspaper and dried in my 100 degree plus attic for a couple of months. Five coats of Waterlox after finish turning, then buffed with white diamond and renaissance waxed. The plate in the third pic was the sample plate and the client elected to omit the recess in the other three. They will be attaching felt in the bottoms of the plates to muffle the sound of coins.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-17-2010, 8:10 PM
Ted, you've done a great job on these and my guess is they will see a lot of usefulness in the life of this church. Beautiful work.:)

Ken Hill
11-17-2010, 8:14 PM
Very nice!

John Keeton
11-17-2010, 8:16 PM
Great job, Ted, and the oak has some wonderful character. Really neat of you to donate them, and I doubt the timing of the oak trees coming down and the wood offer was coincidental.;)
They will be attaching felt in the bottoms of the plates to muffle the sound of coins.They could omit the felt by adopting a "folding money only" policy!!:D

Roger Chandler
11-17-2010, 8:41 PM
They could omit the felt by adopting a "folding money only" policy!!:D

I like the way you think John!

Baxter Smith
11-17-2010, 9:11 PM
Very pretty bowls!

charlie knighton
11-17-2010, 9:58 PM
very nice...

Steve Vaughan
11-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Those are really nice!

Chris Colman
11-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Very nice!

I like the contours you used. You really show off that beautiful oak grain.

I heard a pastor say once that you don't want felt in the bottom of the plate. Makes people put more paper in than metal. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
11-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Those look great Ted. I am sure the church will get lots of use out of them.

bob svoboda
11-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Sure glad those didn't end up in the firewood pile. Nicely done!

Ted Calver
11-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I just got back from delivering them to a greatful client and was assured prayers would be said on my behalf. Seems like a fair trade. John....that folding money is in short supply in these parts. This church takes it all...probably even a chicken or two :)