PDA

View Full Version : 7 1/4" Blade For Ripping?

John Baum
11-17-2010, 6:27 PM
I am looking for recommendations for a 7 1/4" 'skilsaw' blade for ripping hardwood. Experience on the tablesaw has taught me that a high tooth count crosscut blade is not a wise choice for ripping such wood. Apparently the chips do not clear quickly enough and the blade overheats and burns the cut and also begins to wobble. A proper low tooth count ripping blade gives a much smoother cut surface.

I recently bought a Freud Diablo 60 tooth plywood blade For my Bosch worm-drive saw (blades must have a diamond knockout) and am very pleased with its performance. I question whether or not it is suitable for ripping dry 2/4 birch. Has anyone had good luck with any other blades for ripping? I gather that the corresponding Diablo framing blade may not be the best choice.

I am planning on using an 8' long plywood sled to clamp the stock and guide the saw.

Thanks,

John

Bruce Wrenn
11-17-2010, 8:12 PM
I use the Diablo 40 tooth to cut plywood, and the 24 tooth on my framing saw. Both deliver excellent cuts. They cut like a hot knife though butter.

mark kosse
11-17-2010, 8:23 PM
I too use the Diablo 24t blade to rip on an old 9" Delta TS. I have plenty of 9" blades but I just like the way the 7.25 cuts.

John Baum
11-18-2010, 1:05 PM
Thank you Bruce and Mark. Next time I am HD I will pick up a 40-tooth to round out my collection. I will let experience tell me which one I prefer.

I plan to save the 60-tooth for plywood only, and then, for projects where the cut quality is really critical.

John

Darius Ferlas
11-18-2010, 1:10 PM
At the very least, for a thin kerf blade, a 7.25" will have less flex.

Greg Portland
11-18-2010, 1:19 PM
I would look at Tenryu, they make very good 7 1/4" blades with knockouts. I would ping Freud customer support to determine which blade is optimal for your application... they are very helpful. The blades at HD are often the cheap Freud (i.e. better options may be available).

Gene Howe
11-18-2010, 2:24 PM
+1 on the Tenryu. They also make a few smaller blades that are specifically for TS use.