PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic paint

Josh Pierce
11-17-2010, 1:03 PM
I had a small disaster. I knocked a metal shelf over and it slammed into the side of my brand new Powermatic PM2000 table saw. It didn't do any serious damage, just scrathed the paint in a few places. I was wondering if anyone has a formula or suggestions for getting the mustard yellow color of paint so I can fix it. Thanks everyone!

Jerome Hanby
11-17-2010, 1:06 PM
Maybe this (http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/browseproducts/6612060---Powermatic-Touch-Up-Paint-12-ounce-Spray-Can.html) (Powermatic touch up paint)

John Pohja
11-17-2010, 3:29 PM
Hi Josh, i might have a nearly full spray can of factory PM paint from when i received my damaged PM jointer . I'm assuming that they are using the same shade as 5 or 6 years ago.
I no longer have the jointer and i'll ship the can to you if you want. I have to double check that i still have it. Let me know. John

Chip Lindley
11-17-2010, 5:23 PM
PM waited until the last batch of "Harvest Gold" appliance touch-up paint vanished, before choosing their new gold. Kinda like 70's bellbottoms...

Mark Bolton
11-17-2010, 5:42 PM
You could just leave it and say "yeah, I _use_ my tools". Anytime I get a new tool I usually want to tie a rope around it and drag it behind my truck a bit. For me personally there is nothing worse than a bunch of shinny tools scattered around.

Mark

Josh Pierce
11-17-2010, 8:32 PM
Mark, I suppose you are right, it is just so painful though, I haven't even got the plug on it yet. Thanks everyone.

Chip Lindley
11-17-2010, 9:07 PM
Josh, that "first scratch or dent is always the worst. Being brand new out of the crate makes it THE worst.

Wayy back in 1967, I bought the very first 12-string electric guitar our small music shop had on display. After driving around town to show it to my Buds, I arrived at home to take it to my bedroom and finally plug it in. Pulling the case out of my car's backseat, the lid fell open and the brand-spankin'-new candy apple red guitar smacked against the pavement--gouging out large chips of lacquer. Not a good day!

Van Huskey
11-18-2010, 1:51 AM
Mark, I suppose you are right, it is just so painful though, I haven't even got the plug on it yet. Thanks everyone.

Call PM they may just ship you some gratis...:D

Kent A Bathurst
11-18-2010, 7:26 AM
........there is nothing worse than a bunch of shinny tools scattered around..

That was so long ago, I don't even remember it...........:D

johnny means
11-18-2010, 8:35 PM
Leave it be, the scratch makes is "special":D I personally like to put my mark on my machines with a cold can of soda. All my machines are named "O" (shame on anyone who gets that reference).:o

Josh Pierce
11-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Office Space?

Rob Damon
11-19-2010, 2:41 AM
You could also go to a regular paint store and color match.

And if you get it by the gallon you can do this......

Rob

Kyle Iwamoto
11-19-2010, 2:51 AM
Leave it be, the scratch makes is "special":D I personally like to put my mark on my machines with a cold can of soda. All my machines are named "O" (shame on anyone who gets that reference).:o

Well, as long as the "O" is not from a beer.....

Doug Carpenter
11-19-2010, 7:09 AM
Rob, very cool. What did you do get them to sponsor you? lol

Josh, I'm with you I would want to fix it. some tools get beat up by use and some should stay nice.

Mark Bolton
11-19-2010, 9:20 AM

Rob

Good lord, please tell me that is Powermatic's corporate training center or some Powermatic school, educational facility, or something.

That isn't a private shop is it? Zoikes.

Mark

Rob Damon
11-19-2010, 12:12 PM
My retirement shop, just trying to have a little fun, considering the hefty collection of PM tools in my shop. It is still a major work in progress though.

If I could find a "Bessey" banner I would dedicate the wall above it where the clamps are, since they will eventually extend to the end wall.

But seriously, back to the original question, if you look in the last picture, I color matched and painted the overarm guard for the table saw to match the PM color.

Rob

Jeff Monson
11-19-2010, 12:13 PM

Rob

Rob thats just a teaser, we need some more pics! Great looking shop.

Lewis Cobb
11-19-2010, 3:31 PM
Rob - I hope you didn't leave out the electrical entrance.....
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/Electrical%20Entrance/146_4624a.jpg

and the window valences.......

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/LHC_02/146_46631.jpg

Rob

Rob Damon
11-19-2010, 3:46 PM
The wall with the electrical panel actually has an Delta 18" RAS (Gray) and an 80gal IR air compressor (Creme) and a bunch of Festool boxes (Green).

I don't think the PM mustard color would coordinate to well with them...:eek:.. otherwise good idea.

Rob

Noah Katz
11-19-2010, 4:43 PM
PM waited until the last batch of "Harvest Gold" appliance touch-up paint vanished, before choosing their new gold.

When did they change?

Mark Bolton
11-19-2010, 5:26 PM
Rob,
That is unreal, I wouldnt know what to do in a place like that. Have you sent any images off to PM? They would have to be impressed.

If you dont mind me asking, when is retirement and from what? Thats a heck of an investment.

Very nice work though,... its so crisp and clean....
Mark

Kirk Poore
11-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Rob,
That is unreal, I wouldnt know what to do in a place like that. Have you sent any images off to PM? They would have to be impressed.
Mark

They would be especially impressed if you painted the Delta DP and sander mustard yellow too.:)

Kirk
who has 3 PM machines in dark green or pea green...

Rob Damon
11-20-2010, 12:09 AM
"They would be especially impressed if you painted the Delta DP and sander mustard yellow too.:)z"

Wow, you must be psychic, I actually gave that at thought..but then figured I would end up having to paint the Delta RAS, the compressor, the Festool SCMS, the Dewalt scrollsaw, the OSS, the ....etc. then said , nope, too much work. (The DP is already a PM not a Delta.)

Mark, when I was at the Woodcraft a few weeks ago, the PM rep. was in the store and one of the employees told him about it, so I sent him some pictures. I haven't heard anything back from them. I did mention the third wall could use another PM logo sign, he said he would see if he could find one. I don't expect anything though. If I was a "Norm" or big name, maybe a few more tools might actually show up. :D

I guess the reality is that I probably have more PM tools in my shop than 99% of the retail stores across the country.

Rob

Jerome Hanby
11-21-2010, 9:08 AM
Bessey has their rectangular emblem...
http://www.besseytools.com/en/images/besseylogo_topright.gif

Tom Welch
11-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Rob, there is no hiding your favorite color.:D I know you are going to enjoy your retirement. Very nice shop.

Rob Damon
11-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Jerome, I have seen a few different ones. Not sure which would be the easiest to paint. A large banner from one of trade shows would be alot easier.

Tom, yeah, favorite color is white, the walls, the ceilings...:D or you meant the mustard color?

Rob

Tom Welch
11-22-2010, 5:59 AM
Rob, there is a mustard yellow color in your shop?:o Really I didn't notice.:D

Josh Pierce
11-22-2010, 9:52 AM
Lewis- what type of paint did you use to paint the boom with? Is it metal? Where did you get the paint? I have a can of spray paint coming from a fellow creeker ( he was nice enough to send me an extra can he had). I am going to give it a try but was curious if that doesn't work. THanks!
Josh