PDA

View Full Version : Small shed roof-shingles?

Tony Sade
12-29-2004, 10:31 AM
I am finishing up a small tool shed-taking the garden tools out of the garage to make more room for woodworking tools. It's rather small, and I've installed a flat piece of ply at a slight pitch for a roof. I've put on some tar paper and drip edge and just need to nail on some shingles. I know how to get things started-starter course, stagger the joints, etc., but I don't know what to do with the last (top) row. No ridge cap to cover things up-do I just glue the last row on? I don't want to have exposed nails holding in the last row, so what's the best approach? Thanks, and Happy New Year all. Tony

Kevin Arceneaux
12-29-2004, 10:35 AM
I helped my Uncle build a lean-to a few years ago with this type of roof. What he did was put a 1x3 on the front and carried the last course of shingles over the edge and then put a on the 1x3 and carried it over the last course on the roof.

Charles McKinley
12-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Hi Tony,

Do you have enough pitch for shingles? Dependin on how "slight" the pitch is you may need to use rolled roofing or metal sheeting.

What I have done is nail the last row then cover the nailhead with a fiber reinforced roofing cement.(Koolseal) If you want to camoflage the cement scrape the grit off of some cut off shingles and put it on the roofing cement right after you apply it over the nails.

Dave Right
12-30-2004, 6:29 AM
I did a lean to a couple of years ago and I used roofing cement under the last course. I did not want to nail them and fill the heads since I did not think that looked good even if I was the only one that knew it. When you think about it
there is only a small line of tar on the tabs to keep them down which works fine.

Ray Thompson
12-30-2004, 9:35 PM
Just get some roof pitch and "glue" the last course on. It will probably be just tabs anyway. The pitch will hold them nicely.

Ray