PDA

View Full Version : A little box...

Michael Stafford
12-29-2004, 9:58 AM
Here is a little walnut and birdseye maple box that I made from scraps I had in the shop. :)

It is 2 1/2" tall, 3" deep and 6" long and is lined with brown velour. :)

Good way to use up scraps...

Jack Hogoboom
12-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Mike,

Beautiful box!! I had intended to make some boxes for Xmas and never got around to it. How long does it take you to make one of those?

Jack

Michael Stafford
12-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Jack, I cannot say for sure as I was working out the details of how to make it as I went along but it did not take very long for the woodworking part of it. Finishing always takes as long as or longer than the woodworking. Certainly not more that an hour of woodworking I would guess...

Wes Newman
12-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Michael, Great looking box. I really like the form and simplicity of it.

Mark Singer
12-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Another handsome beauty!

David Wilson
12-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Michael
Very nice. Love the contrasting woods.

Bob Winkler
12-29-2004, 12:25 PM
What a nice design and lovely execution. If you don't mind, I may steal that design for some of my scraps. Is the hinge made with brass rod?

Bob

Arnie Grammon
12-29-2004, 12:38 PM
I like the red look of the walnut.....is that what it looks like in person? What finish did you use?

Nice project....I might plagiarize as well, if that's okay?

AG

Jack Hogoboom
12-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Mike,

How'd you do it? Looks like the box itself is butt jointed. Did you glue up the sides and top and then fair the curves?

I can't believe that only took you an hour!!!

Jack

John Gregory
12-29-2004, 12:56 PM
The box looks wonderful. Great job!

Michael Stafford
12-29-2004, 1:16 PM
I'm flattered that you would want build this box! :o :) Have at it as I certainly don't mind! And yes it is hinged with brass rod hidden behind a tiny little dowel plug.

Jack, I did not intend to mislead as I did not count stock prep ( resawing, planing and the like) in the time, nor did I count the time in clamps gluing. In all honesty it did not take long as it is a simple little box if you have the stock ready.

Essentially the box is butt jointed but is reinforced with mini-biscuits. The top is routed on the inside with a bowl bit. The birdsye panels are fitted to the ends and the lid is test fitted. Once clearance is adequate the ends are glued on, the pin holes are drilled and the rest is "faired" up or routed in my case. Quite a bit of sanding and then finish with BLO, tung oil and poly mixed equally and thinned considerably. Beall buffed no compounds.

Actual color of the wood! :)

Thanks for the positive feedback, always boosts a guys ego! :D

Byron Trantham
12-29-2004, 2:04 PM
I love the design. Very nice work!