PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection for multiple laptops

Sean Troy
11-17-2010, 9:15 AM
Hi all, if I want to connect 6 laptops to the internet using cable broadband, do I connect the cable modem to a switch and from there connect each laptop? I only need the use of internet for each laptop and not file sharing. This will be just a temporary use for a program our Lions Club is doing. thanks, Sean

Howard Garner
11-17-2010, 9:32 AM
Bring your wireless router from home and set it up.
Modem to router. router connects all computers

Howard Garner
former IT support tech

Sean Troy
11-17-2010, 9:51 AM
Bring your wireless router from home and set it up.
Modem to router. router connects all computers

Howard Garner
former IT support tech
No can do. I can't be without my router for two weeks and these laptops have no wireless card.

Shawn Pixley
11-17-2010, 9:58 AM
Cable modem, router, and wired connection to each laptop (no wireless card?)?

Prashun Patel
11-17-2010, 10:05 AM
You require a ROUTER - not a SWITCH or HUB. A switch/hub just ties in a bunch of ethernet ports together.

A router also serves as a common connection point like a switch, but it is 'smart' in that it acts like a gate keeper to properly route traffic to the right pc's and out to the internet. The router is essentially a tiny computer with its own IP address and it manages the traffic.

The typical home and small biz routers only have ~4 wired ports. That's why yr best bet is using a wireless router in yr case for yr 6 laptops.

They are typically less than $50; I would just buy one. Any other solution will be more complicated and probably more expensive.

Jerome Hanby
11-17-2010, 10:53 AM
You require a ROUTER - not a SWITCH or HUB. A switch/hub just ties in a bunch of ethernet ports together.

You probably require a router. Some installations will provide more than one IP address via DHCP. IF (that's a big if) you have that setup the hub or switch would be cheaper, but a router, while more expensive, would work for either situation (the other situation being the more usual case where you only get one IP address).

Matt Meiser
11-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Even if you can get multiple IPs from the provider, that would basically put those laptops right on the internet. Better hope they are locked down good if you do that.

You can buy routers dirt cheap, for example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314039&cm_re=router-_-33-314-039-_-Product

It doesn't have 6 ports so plug a cable between 1 of those and the port labeled "Uplink" on your switch. Or just connect via wireless.

Glenn Vaughn
11-17-2010, 11:42 AM
I do not have cable but do have DSL. I run 2 8 port switches and wireless. I currently have 7 towers, 3 laptops, a laser printer and a vonage phone in the network. The switches are "daisy chained" and one is connected to the router. All the equipment is hardwired to the switches. Switches will work fine. The Cable modem/router should supply IP addresses via DCHP.

Jerome Stanek
11-17-2010, 11:48 AM
I do not have cable but do have DSL. I run 2 8 port switches and wireless. I currently have 7 towers, 3 laptops, a laser printer and a vonage phone in the network. The switches are "daisy chained" and one is connected to the router. All the equipment is hardwired to the switches. Switches will work fine. The Cable modem/router should supply IP addresses via DCHP.

Is your DSL a router modem or just a modem?

Sean Troy
11-17-2010, 12:00 PM

A router also serves as a common connection point like a switch, but it is 'smart' in that it acts like a gate keeper to properly route traffic to the right pc's and out to the internet. The router is essentially a tiny computer with its own IP address and it manages the traffic.

The typical home and small biz routers only have ~4 wired ports. That's why yr best bet is using a wireless router in yr case for yr 6 laptops.

They are typically less than $50; I would just buy one. Any other solution will be more complicated and probably more expensive.
The laptops do not have a wireless card and we need to have 6 laptops internet ready. Why would a switch not work? I don't understand. Modem-switch via eithernet cable-switch to laptops via eithernet cables is what i was thinking. Thanks, Sean

Sean Troy
11-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Would going from cable modem to the router and from the router to the switch and then to each separate computer work and still get a good internet signal?

Matt Meiser
11-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes.

It probably won't work without a router because most providers give you one IP address and that's it. The poster above who said his works either has DSL modem with a router built in or his provider allows multiple IPs.

Prashun Patel
11-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, you can go:

cablemodem-->router-->switch-->each laptop

or if yr router has 6 ports:

cablemodem-->router-->each laptop

You cannot go
cablemodem-->switch-->each laptop

Think of it like this:

The Lions club is a minivan.
The router is the driver.
The laptops are the hungry kids in the back
The ISP is the Jacknthebox clerk at the drivethru window.
The cable modem is the window to the van.

The driver takes all the requests from the passengers and gives them to the clerk, and doles out the food in a neat way. The clerk doesn't know or care who gets what; he gives it all to the driver.

If you use a switch instead of a router, you lose the driver, and instead have a bunch of people yelling thru the window simultaneously with no one to pick up and sort the food out. The switch is just a conduit to the window. A router is a conduit + a traffic cop.

Matt Meiser
11-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Do you want fries with that?

Sean Troy
11-17-2010, 1:03 PM
Got it. thanks all, Sean

David Weaver
11-17-2010, 1:12 PM
The laptops do not have a wireless card and we need to have 6 laptops internet ready.

Are the laptops all the same? I see laptop wireless cards on pricewatch.com for $9.99 each including shipping and wireless routers for a couple of bucks more than that. All told, you could be ready for action for about $80.

I don't know what ethernet cables and a 6+ outlet wired router costs, but it's probably not a lot less.

Sean Troy
11-17-2010, 2:29 PM
Are the laptops all the same? I see laptop wireless cards on pricewatch.com for $9.99 each including shipping and wireless routers for a couple of bucks more than that. All told, you could be ready for action for about $80.

I don't know what ethernet cables and a 6+ outlet wired router costs, but it's probably not a lot less.

They are different. hardwired would be much better. We can't afford any problems with wireless.

Bryan Morgan
11-17-2010, 6:37 PM
Yes, you can go:

cablemodem-->router-->switch-->each laptop

or if yr router has 6 ports:

cablemodem-->router-->each laptop

You cannot go
cablemodem-->switch-->each laptop

Think of it like this:

The Lions club is a minivan.
The router is the driver.
The laptops are the hungry kids in the back
The ISP is the Jacknthebox clerk at the drivethru window.
The cable modem is the window to the van.

The driver takes all the requests from the passengers and gives them to the clerk, and doles out the food in a neat way. The clerk doesn't know or care who gets what; he gives it all to the driver.

If you use a switch instead of a router, you lose the driver, and instead have a bunch of people yelling thru the window simultaneously with no one to pick up and sort the food out. The switch is just a conduit to the window. A router is a conduit + a traffic cop.

That is a great analogy! :D

Glenn Vaughn
11-17-2010, 8:20 PM
Is your DSL a router modem or just a modem?

It is a modem/router. My post said cable modem/router. In my area the cable modems have wireless and router functionality. That would be the first thing I would check. The point I was trying to make is that a switch can be used. My modem only has 4 ethernet ports - the switches allow the connection of more pieces of equipment than the modem can physically handle. And it works very well. My son used to have gaming parties and at times there were close to 20 computers on the network - wired and wireless.

Charlie Velasquez
11-17-2010, 10:34 PM
I am a visual learner.. Maybe this makes sense in a very basic way. (http://www.machlink.com/~srv653/router.gif)..