PDA

View Full Version : Delta Portable Planers

Ken Prater
11-17-2010, 8:03 AM
Can anyone give me a little guidance on Portable Planers? I have the opportunity to purchase a Delta Model 22-560 for $100. I have researched this one and I think it is similar to their Model 305 that can be purchased new for around $300. I need to plane about 100 bd ft of walnut. Would one of these planers do the job for me or should I maybe get something better like their model 735?
Thanks, Ken

Jerome Hanby
11-17-2010, 8:44 AM
I don't have the model numbers with me, but I've used my Dad's older Delta lunchbox planer and my Ridgid. The Delta worked fine but I think I get a better finish with my Ridgid.

David Thompson 27577
11-17-2010, 8:47 AM
I'm not familiar with Delta's model numbers. I have the 13" with the two speed feed rollers.

IMO, whether or not a specific planer will work well, is more related to the wood and the sharpness of the blades, than to the planer.

If the wood is knotty or curly, you'll have some problems. If it's nicely straight-grained, you'll do better.

For the amount of wood that you have to do, I'd bet that the older Delta will do just fine. You might need to buy new blades.

But here's a note -- walnut dust can be rather nasty stuff. It gives me a raspy throat after an hour or so. Be sure to wear a mask.

Matt Meiser
11-17-2010, 8:47 AM
That was the first planer I had. Its a decent planer. Like any lunchbox you'll need to make sure the work is well supported to avoid snipe. Some of that is getting the tables adjusted. Knives should be easy to find and are easy to replace but check that the bolt heads aren't stripped and that none are missing. I seem to remember some people having trouble with the heads stripping.

Kirk Poore
11-17-2010, 10:04 AM
I had one also. I wore it out after planing 12" oak for several years. I think it will do fine for you. It only has two knives, so the knife sets are cheaper than on the three knife planers. I replaced it with a Dewalt 734, and it always seemed to me the 22-560 could take a deeper cut than the 734. I would have bought another one instead of the 734 if Delta had still been making them.

I did have an issue with the belt pulley coming loose in the side from time to time. You should pull the side cover and make sure the screw holding it on is tight.

Before you buy it, double check the feed rollers and make sure the rubber covering is in good shape. I don't know whether new rollers are available if the covering is torn up. I'm sure you can have it revulcanized, but that may cause other issues if the new diameter is different than the old.

Kirk

george wilson
11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I found that my older model Delta lunchbox planer gave better finishes than our 20" Powermatic at work. Sometimes,for smaller pieces,where I wanted an extra good finish,I'd take it outside and run them in the Delta,spreading out a tarp to catch the shavings.

Kirk Poore
11-17-2010, 10:13 AM
I found that my older model Delta lunchbox planer gave better finishes than our 20" Powermatic at work. Sometimes,for smaller pieces,where I wanted an extra good finish,I'd take it outside and run them in the Delta,spreading out a tarp to catch the shavings.

That was my experience also. The lunchbox cutterhead, turning at 10,000 rpm, gave many more cuts per inch than my Oliver turning at 3500 RPM even on slow feed. That being said, I still needed to sand, plane, or scrape to get a finished surface.

Kirk

bill donner
11-17-2010, 12:01 PM
I've had one for many years, have had no problems. I use the cutterhead lock on every pass, snipe is not an issue. Univeral motor, so it is loud. There's a replacement blade cover that adds a dust collection port, I consider that a must-have unless you are using it outdoors.

David Weaver
11-17-2010, 12:04 PM
It's a 4-post planer if I recall. I have a 22-580, and if there would've been a working 22-560 for that price when I bought mine, I wouldn't have a 22-580.

Scott Donley
11-17-2010, 3:17 PM
I liked my 560,sold it a few months ago only to buy the Dewalt 735 when on sale at HD for 279. ( could not pass up the deal :o ) It is a 4 poster with head lock, tables were FAR easier to adjust than the 735 to end any snipe, I sold mine for 150 within hours of listing it on CL. I did have the chip chute with mine that I would consider a must.

Edit: make sure to keep the table waxed.

Ken Prater
11-18-2010, 5:15 AM
Thanks a lot guys, I brought the Planer home yesterday before I had a chance to read all the posts. It appears to ave good rollers, blade screws are not stripped etc. I will check the belt and look into a " chip chute".
Thanks again,
Ken