PDA

View Full Version : Another Vase or HF

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Here is another vase in the series that I am making. The first was red and this one is a plain maple stained cherry. I also textured the top for a little decoration and a different opening. It is 9 1/2" across and 3 1/2" high. It is finished with cabot poly from Lowes. Saw it on sale and tried a can of it. Kinda has a softer feel to it than minwax and not quite as shiney for a gloss.

Baxter Smith
11-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Pretty work and the texturing adds a nice touch!

John Keeton
11-17-2010, 6:50 AM
Bernie, you are on a roll! That texturing is neat. So, are you going to try other colors??

Steve Vaughan
11-17-2010, 8:20 AM
Bernie, I like that, and the addition of the texturing is a plus! I have a question, in hollowing this out, how thick are the walls, and does the hollowing following pretty closely the contour of the outside profile?

Christopher K. Hartley
11-17-2010, 8:42 AM
Very nice Bernie. I like the design on the top.:)

bob svoboda
11-17-2010, 9:08 AM
Once again, very nice.

Bill Bolen
11-17-2010, 9:51 AM
Well done Bernie! I like the soft glow your new poly gave the piece. I believe that if you had cut a ring on each side of the texturing to sort of contain the design it might have unified the detail a bit more. Just my humble opinion. Excellent...Bill...

steven carter
11-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Very nice Bernie! I like this one a lot better than the red one, I think the widest point being higher up gives it a more pleasing look, at least to me. YMMV. The finish is shiny by not overly so, I would say just right. Good job.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks again. I will be thinking about different designs and different embellishments since I do have enough wood to make at least 3 maybe 4 more.

Steve they are hollowed and they do follow the contour of the outside shape. The walls are pretty much 1/4" or less across the whole piece. The V shape on the inside is kinda of a bear to do but patience is needed and going slow.

John I do plan on trying a couple of different dyes yet and I may save a couple to try some airbrushing on.

Bill I do appreciate the tip. I will give that a try on the next one. I can see how that will highlight the area as I did that on the other textured one with the walnut stain except I burnt the ring.

charlie knighton
11-17-2010, 11:49 AM
very nice....

Rob Cunningham
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Another nice one Bernie. The texture add a nice detail.

Bernie Weishapl
11-17-2010, 1:55 PM
Thanks Charlie and Rob. I appreciate it.