PDA

View Full Version : JDS ceramic mugs - wow!

Dee Gallo
11-16-2010, 10:18 PM
I just got my shipment of mugs from JDS and I just had to post this WOW. These are really nice quality mugs, the color is deep and rich plus easy to do! I only did the bottom as a test and even though it is slightly curved, it went fast and easy using their settings.

After doing the bottom, I'm thinking you could engrave the side and handle, go really crazy all over the thing!

For anyone who was wondering, these were only $1.52 each but about $2 total with shipping as they are HEAVY.

So when I drink from this mug, being left-handed, you get to read the advert!

cheers, dee

Steve Clarkson
11-17-2010, 7:42 AM
Dee......that came out really nice! I have two of those mugs sitting here waiting for me to engrave.......just haven't decided what yet. What settings did you use?

Mike Null
11-17-2010, 7:43 AM
Dee

Even your tests are perfect.

Dee Gallo
11-17-2010, 8:13 AM
Steve, I used 35 speed/100 power/600 dpi, on my 35w. Worked perfectly the first time, so I won't be trying any other settings. This stuff engraves clean and white, very nice!

Mike, you are too kind.

:) dee

Belinda Barfield
11-17-2010, 8:22 AM
Looks great, Dee! I really like the idea of engraving on the bottom. I haven't tried these mugs yet so your review of the product is really helpful to me.

Martin Boekers
11-17-2010, 8:44 AM
Nice Dee!

I too like the idea of engraving on the bottom.
Great spot to put a favorite quote or to play a joke!

Now if we can convince JDS to make tile with a similar
coating.;)

Marty

Jeff Aichinger
11-17-2010, 8:45 AM
I saw those mugs at the show here in Buffalo Dee. I didn't get a lot of time to talk with Marla about them but I'm very glad to hear that they engraved so easily for you.

I am curious to hear how they wear with use. Does the white stain from coffee or dish washing? Maybe someone who used the square mugs can tell us.

BTW- I like the traditional round mugs MUCH more than I do the square ones that they came out with first. No real reason other than I just don't care for the look of a square coffee cup.

Dan Hintz
11-17-2010, 9:50 AM
I'd etch "Time for a refill" on the bottom :)

Belinda Barfield
11-17-2010, 9:56 AM
And I would etch "honey, will you get me another cup of coffee?"

Scott Shepherd
11-17-2010, 9:57 AM
Maxwell Smart would have a field day with your mug, Dee! He's constantly be showing people the bottom while dumping the coffee out on himself :)

Would you believe it, 100 armed men surround this place right now, 100 men, would you believe it? No.....would you believe 50 men?

matt heinzel
11-17-2010, 10:35 AM
How about 2 Boy Scouts and and a row boat?

Dee I know this might be a stupid question, but how do you focus on the bottom of the mug? We have a 2" focal length so the carriage would just be hitting the mug.

Dee Gallo
11-17-2010, 10:40 AM
How about 2 Boy Scouts and and a row boat?

Dee I know this might be a stupid question, but how do you focus on the bottom of the mug? We have a 2" focal length so the carriage would just be hitting the mug.

Not a stupid question, Matt. The mug measures 3 3/4" high, so with my 4" or so clearance, it makes it. I had taken the metal table out to cut a cardboard placement template first, so I just left that off and it give me a little more room. Focus was as normal, manually.

:) dee

Dee Gallo
11-17-2010, 10:43 AM
I saw those mugs at the show here in Buffalo Dee. I didn't get a lot of time to talk with Marla about them but I'm very glad to hear that they engraved so easily for you.

I am curious to hear how they wear with use. Does the white stain from coffee or dish washing? Maybe someone who used the square mugs can tell us.

BTW- I like the traditional round mugs MUCH more than I do the square ones that they came out with first. No real reason other than I just don't care for the look of a square coffee cup.

Yes, Jeff, I like the round ones too - I wouldn't buy the square ones, they are just too ugly. After I figure out what I want to do with my test mug, I'll put it through the dishwasher and let you know what happens. I suspect it will be okay, since these appear to be good quality.

cheers, dee

Scott Shepherd
11-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Matt, it's on the bottom, outside, not the bottom inside.

Dee Gallo
11-17-2010, 1:00 PM
Yes, Matt, it's on the outside bottom, not the inside...

So folks, I solved a few problems after my test mug which might come in useful to anyone trying this in the future.

First, fixed the left handed-right handed thing: see picture. But, I did not have the handle exactly on my mark (duh, why make a mark...) so it is not perfectly centered, but hey I'm still in R&D.

Second, make sure you place your artwork at the top of the page, so the carriage does not have to move far to start. Then make sure your red dot is where you want the design to start on the mug (top of page=far right side of design). This assures placement.

Third, my first test mug slipped out of the rotary clip shortly after it started engraving the side... I found that you can push it in so it's a hairline away from the bumper and still have room for the handle to rotate. I had it too far out the first time, worried about the handle hitting. But the mug rotated smoothly after that. You need to remove the outer drive wheels or it won't fit the handles.

Fourth, I put some black coffee in the depression on the bottom of the mug where I engraved it and let it sit for 1/2 hour. It washed right off, even though it looked like it was going to tint the white parts. Yay! I think with normal use it will be fine.

Last, I recommend focusing before you put the template down because moving it afterwards got my mug slightly off center. The focus area is too far to the edge to keep the mug in the template.

Have fun, dee

matt heinzel
11-17-2010, 2:59 PM
Wow, now my stupid question made me feel even stupider. Carry on folks, nothing to see here.

Dee Gallo
11-17-2010, 7:12 PM
Wow, now my stupid question made me feel even stupider. Carry on folks, nothing to see here.

Thanks, Matt, I needed a good chuckle! :D

Terry Swift
11-18-2010, 1:15 AM
I've found some glass items like the old green coca cola glasses, coasters (big glass ones), smaller glasses (almost big shot glasses) and a couple other things at Dollar Tree. They also offer a large qty purchase for most of it.

I'm using most of these items to show Real Estate Agents, Mortgage Brokers, Title Companies, and others who give house warming gifts - small inexpensive items that can be detailed for both the new homeowner and also advertising for the giver. Many seem to balk at gifts in the $25 + range; so doing dollar items with the laser / profit markup = inexpensive gift.

oscar martinez
11-18-2010, 1:01 PM
I bought some of The square mugs and they look nice. But one thing
happens i notice a small white spot at the bottom and i tried to remove it with mi finger nails
the finish color stars peling off I call the company And they send me replacements this happen on the blue square mugs. It seems the coating
is not to strong as it looks I hope Iam wrong because the mugs engraved
wonderfull.
spirit gx 60w.

Anthony Scira
11-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Made me think of this clip from the IT Crowd.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QNRafkeFVM

Frank Corker
11-19-2010, 7:13 AM
Wow the colours on those mugs with not a scrap of bleeding, great job Dee. Very impressive, just a shame that if it were here by the time the packaging and posting is all done, they would probably be way too expensive. Regarding item on the rotary revolving or slipping, maybe adding a bit of weight to the inside by adding a small bag with sand in it can stop the slippage.

Cindy Rhoades
11-19-2010, 12:11 PM
I use the square ones for my military contracts they love them and I engrave comical sayings on the bottoms of them I also have to ask them if the recipient is left or right handed to make sure the saying on the bottom is right side up when drinking for others to see

Emily Wilson
11-20-2010, 9:55 AM
The Mug looks fantastic. Since I am a long term newbie I had not imagined
the use use of a placement template for such things. That will surely expand my engraving possibilities. :D

Dee Gallo
11-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Just for everyone's general info, I put the test mug through the dishwasher and it came out perfectly clean, no change in the color or staining/running/blurring. After soaking in black coffee for 1/2 hour, there are no stains.

One more thing I noticed, is that someone is selling the square ones on Amazon, engraved for $24. I wonder if they've gotten any orders at that price! I was thinking more like $10-12. What are the rest of you charging? Maybe I'm way off base.

cheers, dee

Chuck Stone
11-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I couldn't even figure a price.. I went to JDS but couldn't find them! :o

Josh Jelinek
03-29-2011, 2:00 PM
Can anybody post a link to the JDS mugs? or another source of inexpensive ceramic mugs...I am looking for green and red...cheap.

Thanks.

Dee Gallo
03-29-2011, 2:08 PM
The number for LazerMug is LMG22 (red) and LMG24 (green), but they might not have them online - they didn't have them up there the last time I called in an order. I don't know of another company selling them, but I have gotten other ceramic items which do the same thing, all of them from Italy for some reason.
I tried to use cermark on these and just blew away the red glaze.

edit: LaserMugs are $1.89 each if you buy a case of 36. They had a sale recently and I paid $1.52 each

Gary and Jessica Houghton
03-29-2011, 2:49 PM
The square mugs will fade with sun exposure. I had them in the window of my store and after about 6 months, I noticed the color fading. Needless to stay they are not in the window anymore. I started with the square because that's all they had. I etched my first "test" piece for my mother. One side had a grim reaper with balloons behind his back and the saying "I'm just here for the party" and the other side said "Happy 60th Birthday". I did etch the bottom with a heart and my name. I sell these at $8.50. I based the price on perceived value. Not many would pay more. I like the round ones better, but only have one currently.
Dee, I love your design!

Josh Jelinek
03-29-2011, 3:08 PM
Thanks Dee!

Do you guys have a JDS catalogue? There website leaves a little to be desired...I am new to the sport of lasering so many I am missing something.

Dee Gallo
03-29-2011, 4:42 PM
Josh, call them 800-843-8853. You can get a catalog sent to you. It's a lot better for me to have an actual book to look at...but be warned, once they get you on their list, you'll get catalogs all the time, even when you already have one!

Cynthia Block
03-29-2011, 4:43 PM
Josh, the people at JDS are very nice. I haven't purchased from them yet, but they were very helpful in my questions. If you go to this link you can request a catalog. http://php.jdsindustries.com/CatREQ/getINFO.php

Edi Royer
03-30-2011, 2:32 AM
Thanks for the info Dee. I've looking into buying some of the square ones, but hadn't taken the plunge yet. I would think $10-$12 would be more reasonable than $24.
I would have never thought to engrave on the bottom...great idea!

And I love the idea of getting JDS to make tiles like this!!! I've been painting and lasering my own and it's a pain...pre-painted ones would be awesome! I wonder who we call to get them on the ball?

Dave Spitzer
03-30-2011, 3:20 AM
Dee,

What is the part number of the mug you ordered?

thanks

Dave

Mike Null
03-30-2011, 6:08 AM
I have attempted engraving mugs earlier and found that the glaze was uneven and that the engraving had to be so deep as to make the mug unsaleable. I think I would stick with JDS as they probably have found the supplier with the secret glazing formula and they are a great supplier.

Dee Gallo
03-30-2011, 9:04 AM
Thanks for the info Dee. I've looking into buying some of the square ones, but hadn't taken the plunge yet. I would think $10-$12 would be more reasonable than $24.

And I love the idea of getting JDS to make tiles like this!!! I've been painting and lasering my own and it's a pain...pre-painted ones would be awesome! I wonder who we call to get them on the ball?

Edi,

I emailed JDS about that too and he emailed me back that they were considering it... we shall see! They did add coasters, so that was another suggestion I mentioned. Send them a message and maybe if enough people show interest, it will help!

cheers, dee

Martin Boekers
03-30-2011, 9:29 AM
I can attest to that, JDS is always willing to listen to what we have to say and will work
with us if they deem it would be a positive addition to their line. If you notice in their
new catalog there is now a logo by their products that are made in the USA, that was
a suggestion that was brought up last year that they have moved on. Same with these
coasters, now to get them to sell them individually.

I think we can get them to offer the tile coasters seperately if we can be convincing.

I have a good contact there for these types of things PM for their info.

Marty

Terry Swift
03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Josh,

Their new catalog is out already - at ARA Show in February. Lots of new stuff. If you are not considered a dealer by them and get into the dealer website; then yes their catalog on the website is disappointing and they know it. It's harder to keep up with all the new stuff. Even the dealer site has issues when looking items up with a "new" catalog number. Sometimes they are not in the system under that number. Give their Customer Service a call - they are EXCELLENT and will help you with anything you need.

IMHO!!!!!

Terry Swift
03-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Edi,

Have you tried Cermark for Tile / Glass? They make a few colors for doing those kinds of items; so if you're doing white or light colored tiles - then the Cermark should work. I've got some; but haven't used it yet - no requirement other than creating some samples.

Linda Tetreault
03-30-2011, 1:49 PM
FYI, since I almost never get to do a job non stop start to finish, I use tailors chalk to mark direction or center point, it doesn't need to be scrubbed off & doesn't interfere with the laser beam.

Edi Royer
03-30-2011, 11:48 PM
I'll be sure to send JDS an email or give them a call. I did see the coasters in the new catalog and larger tiles like this would be awesome! I'm glad to know that they listen to their customers and take ideas seriously...great customer service!

I haven't tried Cermark yet, it's a little pricey, isn't it? I'm buying 12x12 tiles for around $1 and a can of poly + spray paint is pretty cheap :)