PDA

View Full Version : PM 66 Splitter Options: Biesemeyer / Shark Guard / OEM

Ruhi Arslan
11-16-2010, 4:12 PM
PM66 that I've acquired recently didn't come with the OEM splitter and blade guard. It has the Excalibur overarm blade guard and the previous owner didn't keep the splitter rear support shaft and the guard assembly. :confused:

Before I go ahead and order one from PM, I did my homework and found out that there are other options available maybe even much better. I'd like to hear what would you prefer based on experiences you have with what you've got from the three choices I came up with for PM66.

OEM: Splitter Rear Support and Assembly ($90) plus Guard & Splitter Assembly ($148) comes to a total of $238 + shipping. I do not need to have the guard since I have the Excalibur.

It is fixed and requires tool to use to take it in/out. Only one set kerf thickness - 1/8"

Shark Guard (leestyron.com): A full set of three heights at a fixed kerf (thin, standard or extra thick) ($67) plus anti-kickback paws ($30).

A ratcheting tool comes with the kit and individual heights can be purchased separately at any combination of kerfs. It may not work with overarm guards. Works only at 90.

Biesemeyer Splitter (MikesTools.com B78-440): It is the only splitter with a quick removal option if needed without any tools ($140).

Works only with the standard kerf. Compatible with overarm guards. Sounds like a winner....
Found an older thread beating the subject well but nothing to compare all http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67546

Opinions, experiences please? Thanks.

Matt Meiser
11-16-2010, 4:26 PM
You could consider the Microjig splitter as well. Only works at 90 degrees though.

Angie Kopacek
11-16-2010, 5:15 PM
I use the Biesemeyer splitter on my PM66, along with a Brett Guard, and am happy with it. Easy to pop in and out. Takes a little bit to set it up just right, as with most adjustments, but once it's done you don't have to mess with it again unless the splitter gets bent somehow. (Shared a shop with three guys who somehow managed to bend it numerous times - never figured out how they did it - drove me nuts!)

I think I also still have the original blade guard and splitter in a box. If you want to buy it, let me know.

Will Rowland
11-16-2010, 5:30 PM
On my Unisaw I have the Biesemeyer splitter mount with a Sharkguard and Sharkguard splitter. It works great and can be inserted/removed in seconds. I did have a slight amount of "wiggle" with the Sharkguard splitter in the Biese splitter mounting bracket, but a piece of 3 mil tape on the splitter fixed that problem.

Lee at Sharkguard can mill down the above-table portion of the Sharkguard splitters to the thin-kerf spec, which is what I had him do for me.

Having a splitter than can be easily removed/inserted is key, as otherwise you just won't end up using it as much as you should.

Oh, I recently figured out how you can bend one...start cranking the blade over with your ZCI still installed...

Peter Quinn
11-16-2010, 7:17 PM
I have the bies splitter in a PM66, i love it. Quick in and out, works great. The OEM splitter and guard are JUNK, mine is in a dumpster, I' used it for about 30 minutes when I first got the saw. Bear to put in, bear to take off, not much good IME. They stopped making that junk for a reason, or were forced to for a reason. They should be ashamed to include such a shoddy POS on an otherwise well made machine.

I haven't used the shark guard, so I can't speak to that. I have heard of guys making a TK insert for the bies splitter, and that shouldn't be much trouble if you have a DP and basic metal fabricating experience. You'ld need a small piece of metal, a grinding wheel, maybe a file? You might be able to have one made cheap enough too?

Steve Prill
11-16-2010, 8:51 PM
I have a set of the Shark Guard splitters on my PM66 and they work great. The splitters work at all angles. I'm not sure why you say the setup only works at 90 degrees.

Steve

John Petsche
07-16-2013, 9:44 PM
Thanks for the great input.