PDA

View Full Version : Some help - Glass and metal mug

Gary Liberman
11-16-2010, 4:11 PM
Hello,

We have some problems rastering the glass as you can see in the image, because the square rasters skewed, like 1 cm to the right at the bottom corner. In Corel everything looks fine, but when we engrave we have this problem.

Also we have to engrave some mugs like the one below, but we cant get it to look like this. Would you recommend us something without using cermark?

Thank you,

Gary Liberman

Gary Hair
11-16-2010, 4:19 PM
The mug looks like it was sandblasted, I don't know of any other technology that would leave that type of mark. I can't see what you mean in the picture of glass, it's not very big on my screen. Chances are good that if your engraved image doesn't look like what you see on screen then you may have an alignment problem.

Gary

Gary Liberman
11-16-2010, 4:36 PM
With the mug, I dont believe it could be sandblasted because of the detail of the small words, or do you think its possible?

Ill attach a larger picture to see if the problem looks better

Gary Hair
11-16-2010, 6:03 PM
With photo resist you can get some amazing detail and very small letters. It depends on two things really, the resist and the abrasive. I use 180 grit and can get details smaller than you would think - a hairline (in Corel) is too small, but it doesn't take much thicker of a line to be usable.

As for your glass piece - it looks like your guide rules are not square or at least not aligned to the path of the laser. Do you have a large carpenters square to check to see if the guide rules are at 90*? If they are then you will have to adjust them to the path of the x and y axes of the beam itself. There are lots of ways to do that, your machine manufacturer may have a preferred method.

Gary

Dan Hintz
11-16-2010, 7:37 PM
Pics are too small to make a definite suggestion, but are you sure the belts/pulleys aren't slipping?

Gary Liberman
11-16-2010, 8:34 PM
We wanted to know if theres any marking material for metal, but in some color like blue, purple, not just pearl white, copper or black. Or any way to mark it with color?

Thank you

Dee Gallo
11-16-2010, 10:40 PM
The colors they make for Cermark ceramic/glass applications are limited, but you can mix them: yellow, blue, black, white plus the metallics. They used to have red, but it was more of a pink and they stopped making it because the color quality was poor. So the only colors you could mix with those are green, yellow-green (lime), turquoise (blue-green), jade and light or dark values of each.
cheers, dee

Mike Null
11-17-2010, 7:59 AM
Is there any chance that the glass is moving in the engraver? I had this happen a while back and didn't realize it was the problem.

The picture below shows how to use the envelope tool to distort a drawing to engrave to an irregular surface.