PDA

View Full Version : 1st HF

Cathy Schaewe
11-16-2010, 2:45 PM
I took time out from roughing bowls to see if I could do a HF. I got the walls pretty consistently to 1/8". What a pain it is to constantly stop, blow the chips out, get out the calipers, squint, ... I can see how a laser would really make things easier. (Resist the pull of the vortex ....:eek:...)

It's some more of my oak burl, turned green to finish, then soaked in DO for a long time, sanded, shellac and lacquer. It did warp a tiny bit, but no cracking.

After I finished it, I thought it looked bald without a top, so I scavenged a piece I had turned from the top and made it a little hat. Then I decided it needed a finial. So .... I had to give one of those a try. This is the third one.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any critique on the form. It's 8 1/2" to the top of the finial, and about 3 3/4" wide at the shoulder.

I liked it enough that I did another one, which is soaking now.

Harvey Ghesser
11-16-2010, 3:04 PM
Congratulations on a first beautiful HF!:D:D:D
I'm still trying to master bowls!:(

Harv

bob svoboda
11-16-2010, 3:07 PM
Very nice Kathy. BTW, you got something against bald? :D

Dennis Ford
11-16-2010, 3:10 PM
It is a beautiful piece. The form looks good but would be even better with a little more curve in the lower half, some distortion from drying masked the subtle curve that you turned.

John Keeton
11-16-2010, 3:25 PM
Cathy, I just had a vision - very hazy, but I seem to be able to make out a figure in front of a lathe....yes...a female, it appears to be....and, something in a box being opened....the shipping label is not clear....but seems to say something about MONSTER!!:D:D:D:D:D

I think I see a hollowing rig in your future!!!!

Nice work! The form is outside my experience level, but I do see some contraction evidence from the drying. Seems it could use a little more curve. I like the NE portion of the lid, but I think I would have liked it better without quite so much "lift" on the top. Great work on the finial - they are addicting, BTW!!

Randy Privett is waiting on your call!!:cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
11-16-2010, 3:26 PM
Cathy, you are to be commended on a great first HF. The wood is a perfect choice with it's natural imperfections. I feel that your choice of finish is fine but with some buffing when good and dry could make that wood pop a bit more. I am really taken with your top. I love the way you worked in the woods imperfections into that top and the finial is a nice touch. Again, with the finial I believe some buffing could really set it off even more. Overall you did a fantastic job and I look forward to your next one. Thanks for showing us.:)

Roger Chandler
11-16-2010, 3:37 PM
Cathy,

Extra nice for a first! Nicely figured wood, and the natural edge top is neat. May I ask what hollowing tools you did use? That hollowing process is a lengthy one and I agree with you a laser would be nice..........a monster system is probably in my future at some point.

I saw Lyle Jamison demonstrate his and I took a spin with it myself, and it is nice as well.

I would imagine that your finial and hollow form shape will develop as you go along, just like all your other turnings. This one is really nice, and I think you did a super job.........congrats!

Wally Dickerman
11-16-2010, 3:45 PM
Cathy, that's a wonderful first HF. And finished off with a very nice finial and a lid. Many turners couldn't do that well with their 20th HF.

As a critique, as others have said, the nice curve that you have in the upper portion doesn't continue on to the bottom. IMO, a curve shoud be continuous from it's beginning to it's end, with no flat areas. With this piece it would have been easy to do because the base could be smaller in dia. The rule of thirds is a good one. If the base was 1/3rd the dia. of the widest part the curve would work very well.

Having said all of that, you should be very proud of this, your first HF.

Wally

Steve Schlumpf
11-16-2010, 3:51 PM
Cathy - very impressive first HF! Congrats on that accomplishment!

Really like the lid and your use of the natural void in it. Most folks would be tempted to turn that portion away - I always find it adds character!

Wally covered the idea behind the curve and it is just a good rule of thumb to keep in mind for the next one! It does get easier with time but the constant stopping to remove shavings never goes away!

I have both of Randy's Monster systems and - just my opinion - worth every penny! Seriously makes a world of difference when you can concentrate on form and not take a beating using hand-helds!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Josh Bowman
11-16-2010, 3:54 PM
Wow Cathy! That is extremely nice for the first or second or ........... I'm with JK,
Randy Privett is about to be your friend.

David E Keller
11-16-2010, 4:39 PM
Beautiful wood, Cathy. I like the form, and I agree with the others about ways to potentially improve it. Another subtle change would be to add a little curve to the very bottom of the form which would give it a little lift.

I love the natural edge lid. All in all, it's a good looking HF.

Fred Perreault
11-16-2010, 5:00 PM
That's a beauty, Cathy. I wish that I had the mind's eye and requisite nerves and patience for something like that. Keep it up..........

Cathy Schaewe
11-16-2010, 5:29 PM
BTW, you got something against bald? :D
Um, no? (trying to remove foot from mouth now, but it's stuck ...:o)

The form looks good but would be even better with a little more curve in the lower half, some distortion from drying masked the subtle curve that you turned.
Dennis, thanks for trying to make me look better - no, that's just the way I turned it. But I think you, JK, Wally and Steve are right, and continuing the curve would definitely be an improvement. Now I'm going to have to go down and pull the next piece out of the oil and see if I did a better job!;)

May I ask what hollowing tools you did use? A handheld tool made by Jeff Nicol, almost exclusively. I had him add a vertical hand-bar to it, so there isn't nearly as much torque on my elbow and shoulder, which have been taking a heck of a beating from turning.

Cathy, that's a wonderful first HF. And finished off with a very nice finial and a lid. Many turners couldn't do that well with their 20th HF.

As a critique, as others have said, the nice curve that you have in the upper portion doesn't continue on to the bottom. IMO, a curve shoud be continuous from it's beginning to it's end, with no flat areas. With this piece it would have been easy to do because the base could be smaller in dia. The rule of thirds is a good one. If the base was 1/3rd the dia. of the widest part the curve would work very well.

Having said all of that, you should be very proud of this, your first HF.

Wally
Wally, thank you very much. That's nice to hear. I tried to keep the rule of thirds in mind for the location of the shoulder and the height of the finial, but it didn't occur to me to apply that to the base and the width of the piece. I'll remember that next time.

All - thank you. This place is a wonderful inspiration, and the feedback is really helpful.

But ..... must ..... resist .... the pull.....
the Monster is calling. ... must .... resist .... :D

Nate Davey
11-16-2010, 5:38 PM
Resistance is futile.

Beautiful job Cathy, I like the finial detail as well.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-16-2010, 6:06 PM
Kathy,
Cut it out. You're setting the bar too high for the rest of us who have yet to make their first hollow form. You could have made a misshapen vessel or buggered it up a bit or merely made a less pleasant shape. Instead you made it look like you've been doing these forever. Great job! It will give the rest of us a goal. Even if you are using the auxiliary handle and the anti torque bar, I can already see the rest of the Monster rig in your future.
faust

Michael James
11-16-2010, 8:10 PM
Nice one Cathy, I like it!. Since I have no experience turning anything like that I can't give you any design suggestions. But, I did not know you were a closet finial maker:eek::D;), and I think it's a great finial.
Somehow the top does add to a sense of "completeness" for me, but If I had not seen the cap and finial, I would not have that perspective!
Good job - keep em coming. You're really stepping out from the bowls here and doing nice stuff.

ps - you should heed JK's advice; I'll bet Randy is gonna get very busy around the holidays.

Michael

David DeCristoforo
11-16-2010, 8:31 PM
Pretty wicked looking. And with a lid and nice looking finial to boot. My first HF is still out in my tent/shop... in pieces! And they you add insult to injury by telling us you used a handheld tool? My god... my first attempt at using the Sorby hollowing tool resulted in so much swearing that my neighbors had to be bribed not to complain!

Greg Ketell
11-16-2010, 8:37 PM
WOW!! I hope my first HF turns out 1/2 that nice. Great job!!

Robert McGowen
11-16-2010, 8:43 PM
Very nice, Cathy. I did my first hollow form quite a while back using a bowl gouge, a scraper, and some prayer! You did a much better job on your first one than I did on mine!

Baxter Smith
11-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Beautiful wood and very nice shape for your first one. The lid with its void adds a very nice touch and is something I need to try and remember!:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Cathy that is a beautiful HF for a first. Your lid and finial just set that piece off. I really like the form and the finish looks great. Like Steve I have both the monster captured and articulating arm rig. The laser sure does make it nice in that you can concentrate on form and a little less worry about thicknes. Also easier on my old body. Well done.

Don Alexander
11-16-2010, 11:36 PM
very nice and the wood is awesome I personally like the form too

btw pictures coming soon of what happened to the pieces of wood you gave me awhile back, Cathy , took me awhile but i have been turning alot lately getting ready for a craft show on Dec. 4

Kathy Marshall
11-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Beautiful HF Cathy!
I love the whole package and the wood just has me itching to turn the oak burl you sent me, I just want to get a little more hollowing practice in first.
Can't wait to see more!

Jim Burr
11-17-2010, 1:26 AM
Your first one...in oak maybe!!:eek: That is a great form Cathy. Amazing chunk of wood as well. The only thing I'd like to see you do is radius the bottom a bit so it adds lift to the piece instead of looking stuck on the table. I did one similar to yours a while ago, and did (didn't do) the same thing. Bravo Madam!