PDA

View Full Version : Hand cut dovetails tutorial - full and half-blind

Mike Henderson
11-16-2010, 1:04 PM
I'm now teaching a course on hand cut dovetails. To give the students something that they can use after taking the class, I did tutorials on my web site on both through dovetails (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/ThroughDovetails.htm) and half-blind dovetails (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/Half-BlindDovetails.htm).

Take a look and give me your comments. I'll appreciate any suggestions.

Mike

Andrew Gibson
11-16-2010, 1:25 PM
Mike, the tutorials look great to me.
Your other tutorials have helped me greatly, especially the compass rose tutorials. I still need to give carving a try.

Dan Sheehan
11-16-2010, 7:55 PM
Nice job with this, Mike. As something of a novice, I've sometimes had difficulty laying out the joint with a groove for a drawer bottom. In other words, where should the groove go? Above the half pin?

Thanks for all the knowledge that you and so many other Creekers pass on every day.

Dan

Paul Incognito
11-16-2010, 8:46 PM
Dan brings up a good point. Other than that, it's a pretty complete guide.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
PI

Joel Goodman
11-16-2010, 9:35 PM
Great tutorial. It would be helpful to suggest sizes when you say that two chisels are often enough. Same with the size of the divider you show, and perhaps the weight of the mallet. I know these things vary but it's nice for students to get a starting place -- the way you were specific in showing the LN and LV saws.

Jonathan Spool
11-16-2010, 9:40 PM
Great tutorials Mike. After I viewed them I jumped over to your web page. You do very inspiring work! I love the inlay patterns and your carving. Excellent.

Todd Hyman
11-16-2010, 9:57 PM
Mike great tutorials. Not to hijack the thread but what / where is a good place to get dividers and what size?

Thanks again Mike and what is your next tutorial going to be?

Mike Henderson
11-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Nice job with this, Mike. As something of a novice, I've sometimes had difficulty laying out the joint with a groove for a drawer bottom. In other words, where should the groove go? Above the half pin?

Thanks for all the knowledge that you and so many other Creekers pass on every day.

Dan
Well, I use a non-neander technique for putting in a groove in the bottom of a drawer.

Once you have the dovetails done, assemble the drawer (dry fit). Then put a slot cutter in your router table and set it to the height you want the groove. I often use 1/4" above the bottom of the drawer.

Drop your dry fit drawer over the router bit and cut your groove. If the slot cutter you have is not exactly the right size, you might have to raise the slot cutter just a bit and make another cut.

Then disassemble the drawer and use a chisel to square the corners. This way, your groove never goes to the end of the side or front so you don't have to worry about placing your tail on the side piece to hide the groove.

The Neander way is to make sure the bottom tail on the side pieces are where you put your groove. That way, the groove won't show on the side of the drawer.

Mike

Mike Henderson
11-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Mike great tutorials. Not to hijack the thread but what / where is a good place to get dividers and what size?

You can find hundreds on eBay at reasonable prices. Just make sure you get one with a little "handle" on the top. It allows you to easily spin the dividers when using it. Sometimes people grind a set of inside calipers into dividers and those don't have that little handle on top. Much harder to use.

Or buy a new one next time you go to Woodcraft (or equivalent).

I have no clue what I'll do next. Suggestions?

Mike

Bob Coleman
11-16-2010, 10:14 PM
String Inlay?

Garrett Ellis
11-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Mike, thanks for the great tutorials! after reading the dovetail tutorials i read some of your others, and the simple flower carving really makes carving look less intimidating... hope i get to try some of these skills out soon...

Mike Henderson
11-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Mike, thanks for the great tutorials! after reading the dovetail tutorials i read some of your others, and the simple flower carving really makes carving look less intimidating... hope i get to try some of these skills out soon...
Thanks. Don't forget to try the last two tutorials!

Mike

Rob Young
11-16-2010, 11:08 PM

4" and 6" are about the right size. File the points steeper and very sharp when you get them.

Enco
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK32?PARTPG=INSRAR2

Wait for free shipping deal and maybe pick up a granite reference plate too.

glenn bradley
11-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Wonderful stuff Mike. So glad to be on the receiving end of your teaching efforts.

Dewald van Lamp
11-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks, Mike.

:)

Gary Hodgin
11-18-2010, 1:15 PM
Mike,
Great tutorials. Thanks,
Gary

Doug Shepard
11-18-2010, 5:58 PM
Thanks for posting those. I just bookmarked them so I can find them again when I need them.

George Clark
11-19-2010, 2:59 PM
Mike,

I think your tutorials are really well done. A handout of this quality, IMO, puts you way out in front of a number of well known woodworkers turned teachers. I'm sure your students had a great learning experience. When you solicited input, as you were preparing for the class, I suggested a handout and I can honestly say,"a job well done!" Thanks for posting. I have saved them to my personal dovetail folder.

George