PDA

View Full Version : 'nother Newbie Kwestion

Gary Groves
12-29-2004, 7:41 AM
Sorry for a stupid question, but....

I've always used a ROS. Up until now, it's just been a cheap RYOBI 4.5" variable speed one. I used it for almost everything except heavy belt sanding type stuff.

When I was looking to replace my sander, I also was looking at 'finish' sanders and detail sanders. Detail sanders, I can see a clear and distinct use for, but.....What's the difference between the ros and a 'finish' sander? why would you use the finish sander?

Tyler Howell
12-29-2004, 8:43 AM
Gary,

I use my ROS for finish work too. If you are refering to the palm sanders, you can get into tight corners with those. I gave mine away when I got my ROS and replaced it with a detail sander

Ted Shrader
12-29-2004, 9:09 AM
Gary -

One of the problems with palm sanders (or ¼ sheet sanders) is they leave swirl marks very easily. One has to be very careful proceeding through the grades of sandpaper (even fine grades) and inspect very closely after each grade to ensure the swirl marks from the previous grade are removed. On the plus side, they do pretty well getting into corners, but like Ty;er said, there are other ways to do that.

I have a palm sander and do not use it very often. The ROSs get the workout.

OBTW - The only "stupid" question is the one that doesn't get asked. If you don't know the answer, it is not a dumb question. So fire away and build the knowledge base. There is a bunch of stuff that I don't know, but I am not smart enough to figure out what I don't know. :)

Ted

Glenn Clabo
12-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Sorry for a stupid question, but....
Gary,
There are no stupid questions...but there is a standard price list for answers -

Answer............................... $.75
Answer (requiring thought) .... $1.25
Answer (correct) ................. $2.50
Answer (requiring picture)...... It's on Tyler

All bills are payable upon receipt of above to the "Old Woodworkers Relief Fund". Where old woodworkers (rebel/yankee/right or wrong coast) go for reliefing purposes.