PDA

View Full Version : Flush Trim Routing

Sean Troy
11-16-2010, 8:30 AM
Hi all, I understand if I have (let's say a table top) I'm building and I need to flush trim all the way around, I would start on the ends first and do the sides second so I would be cleaning up the end cuts that way. Should I uphill trim on the right side a little and then downhill trim all the way across to keep the cut as tear out free as possible? Thanks, Sean

Prashun Patel
11-16-2010, 8:47 AM
Carefully doing a climb cut is one way to deal with tear out on the end grain sides.

I usually just route counterclockwise, starting in the middle of one of the long sides. Doing the cut in several shallow passes is a good way to minimize tearout, chatter, and burn marks.

Another trick is to clamp 1x2's to the sides of the table so the grain is supported when the bit goes off the edge.

glenn bradley
11-16-2010, 9:10 AM
Your terminology is a little confusing (I think or routing uphill as being against the grain) but, I get the drift. I have great success just using a backer board where the end-grain cut will exit the material. FIRMLY clamp a backer to the long-grain board and let is extend past the end of the end-grain piece. As you leave the end-grain of your "keeper", you plow into the board until the cut is clear of the "keeper". Leaves a nice clean edge when the back is removed.

Sean Troy
11-16-2010, 9:29 AM
Your terminology is a little confusing (I think or routing uphill as being against the grain) but, I get the drift. I have great success just using a backer board where the end-grain cut will exit the material. FIRMLY clamp a backer to the long-grain board and let is extend past the end of the end-grain piece. As you leave the end-grain of your "keeper", you plow into the board until the cut is clear of the "keeper". Leaves a nice clean edge when the back is removed.
Wouldn't be the first time I've been confusing :)

glenn bradley
11-16-2010, 1:27 PM
Wouldn't be the first time I've been confusing :)

Not your fault. I'm easily confused :D

pat warner
11-16-2010, 5:58 PM
There is essential immunity to tearout and risk if the cut is made in stages with a plunger, straight bit, and collar, no trimmers. Given an increment (of cutter depth) small enough, you can rout climb or anticlimb, makes no difference.
Try on scrap, see if you agree, end grain, X-grain, long grain any which way.
Penality: You won't get done in one minute. And you don't get to spend money on a new cutter.