PDA

View Full Version : Help with New Tablesaw purchase

Terry Starch
11-16-2010, 4:17 AM
Im looking at purchasing a new tablesaw. What are you guys using and why? Im looking for one with 52" fence and outfeed table. I have looked at steel city, general, saw stop brands. Not really impressed. I would like to spend no more than $2k.......

Cary Falk
11-16-2010, 4:46 AM
I am using a Grizzly G1023RL. It comes in a long fence also. After using a 1970 Unisaw for a few years I wanted a riving knife and better dust collection. I am verry happy. I hear the G0691 is nice also. I am guessing if none of what you looked at has impressed you, you will not find anything in your price range. The only 3 left are the Unisaw, PM2000, and the Jet Deluxe. The Delta and PM are out of your specified range.

Philip Johnson
11-16-2010, 4:48 AM
For 2k I would defiantly be looking at a cabinet saw. Powermatic, Delta unisaw, Sawstop, General, Jet and Grizzly are probably the more common ones. If you were not impressed with General and Sawstop what models were you looking at? The contracter saws? The General 350 cabinet saw and Sawstop are usually rated pretty highly. General also has General International a lower priced line of tools. A good used older Delta unisaw or Powermatic PM66 can also be a good buy.

Phil

scott spencer
11-16-2010, 5:16 AM
Terry, if you're not impressed with Saw Stop and General, I'm not sure you'll find much else that's better in the price range....the SS, General 650, Powermatic 2000, and Delta Unisaw are typically considered top contenders in cabinet saws. The Unisaw is made in the USA, and the General is made in Canada....$2000 is probably on the low side for all of these.

Grizzly offers a good bang for the buck too, but there's not much that's significantly different about them.

John Coloccia
11-16-2010, 6:28 AM
Terry, if you're not impressed with Saw Stop and General, I'm not sure you'll find much else that's better in the price range

I was thinking the same thing. If you're not impressed with the SS, it time to hang it up and start saving for a European slider.

Paul McGaha
11-16-2010, 6:56 AM
Hi Terry,

If I was buying a new tablesaw I would do a 3 hp cabinet saw with a 52" fence for sure for the good mass, power, dust collection that a cabinet saw offers.

As for which cabinet saw if I was buying new I would get a Powermatic PM-2000 due to the good performance of other Powermatic tools I have and the reviews I read of PM-2000 owners on this forum.

I currently own about an 8 year old Unisaw with 52" Biesmeyer fence that has been great and I expect to keep it for a long time.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Will Overton
11-16-2010, 8:13 AM
Not really impressed.

What do you find lacking in these saws? Are there features missing, poor fit and finish? Have you seen anything, regardless of price, that did impress you?

Philip Johnson
11-16-2010, 8:14 AM
At 2000 it was probably the SS contractor saw which does not impress me either. Time to stretch the budget a bit, who ever spends what they originally set as a budget anyways.

Phil

Stephen Cherry
11-16-2010, 9:04 AM
Buy used!

You'll save a lot of dinero, and be able to sell later, if you want, without loosing your shirt. For example, I bought and sold my unisaw at the same price. With a new machine, you loose about half it's value right away.

Just my opinion.

glenn bradley
11-16-2010, 9:06 AM
I agree that under $2k if those that you mention do not seem adequate, raise your budget, buy used/restore or change your expectation. It sounds like you are going to be doing a lot of sheetgoods work with that capacity requirement. You may want to consider a slider.

Don Jarvie
11-16-2010, 9:07 AM
Look at used saws. For the 2 grand you maybe able to find an older PM or Delta with fence etc in mint condition.

Dave MacArthur
11-16-2010, 12:49 PM
What's your location, Terry? Usually at this point I'd enjoy finding a few used saw deals for you on CL, or hoping you're close enough to finally give up my PM66 to a worthy new owner ;)

I concur, for $2000 I'd be looking used at SawStop, PM2000, PM66, Unisaw, Grizzly. All of those can be had in great condition for $1500 or less used. Someone is selling a Griz 0691 with full outfeed table on Phx CL for $450 yesterday.

Keith Hankins
11-16-2010, 3:18 PM
Im looking at purchasing a new tablesaw. What are you guys using and why? Im looking for one with 52" fence and outfeed table. I have looked at steel city, general, saw stop brands. Not really impressed. I would like to spend no more than $2k.......

I've had the Grizzly 1023slx with 7' rails for over 6 years. She runs like a champ passes the nickle test to this day and she's been moved across the country twice. The sawstop was not around when I got mine. If you have the money get the sawstop. They are quality made and the safety feature is unique and not found anywhere else. I'm looking to get one next year just because of that and sell the griz. Again not because of deficency, but because of the safety feature. I'm not going to get as long rail for the next one because I don't use it to cut panels down. I use my festool ts55 for that.

Kevin Womer
11-16-2010, 3:51 PM
I have a Steel City 35905 (3hp/steel top/riving knife), not sure what model you looked at but I am very happy with this saw. In my opinion this Steel City is on par with the often mentioned Grizzly saws and just below the Jet Deluxe Xacta. For the money I spent, it is a good saw but doesn't have a shroud covering the blade inside the cabinet which would help the dust collection. The Jet Xacta does have a shroud, but it is more than 2K as well as the high end Delta, PM, General and Saw Stop (much more $$$). I would definitely make sure the new saw I bought (if you go that direction) has a riving knife at the very least and a 3hp motor-it will cut anything you throw at it. I have not seen any of the Euro saws but I am sure they are of very high quality, but if you are willing to spend more than 2k the Delta, Saw Stop, General and PM 2000 are the best American design you will find. I am not sure, but there may be a sale on Jet/PM saws soon you may want to check out.
Happy Hunting,
Kevin

Paul DeCarlo
11-16-2010, 4:04 PM
I've used many different saws over the years. SawStop would be my first choice right now. It is, in my opinion, the best of the American style "Unisaw" class of saws made today.
Besides, the only saw that offers flesh sensing technology. They are way ahead of the next guy.......
-Paul

Rod Sheridan
11-16-2010, 6:36 PM
If you're not happy with the General you're going to have to go to a Euro slider to obtain a higher grade machine.

Your budget looks low for a General, I thought they were about $3K?

I sold a General 650 to buy a Hammer B# Winner, couldn't be happier.....Rod.

Van Huskey
11-16-2010, 10:13 PM
The budget is low for all the top contender cabinet saws: General/SS/PM/Delta.

If my budget was a HARD 2K then I would get a 1023 or 690/1 Grizzly and call it a day OR start looking for a used saw. The PM2000 will go back on sale for 4 days after T-day for $2399 not sure if the is the big rip capacity or not. I bought a PM2000 over the rest of the top end cabinet saws but to be honest the only one I really wouldn't want to spend the Money on is the Canadian General, the quality and pedigree are first rate but it is a dinosaur in a category of tools that is pretty outdated in general terms to begin with.

Jim O'Dell
11-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the General 350-650Rs are in the 3,000.00 range, as is the SS PCS, and the new Unisaw offering. PM 2000 is what, 2600.00 or so? Don't know about the Jets. Sliders?? I'd love to have one. Not sure you can find a good Euro slider used in the 3,000.00 range, much less 2,000.00.

I'm curious what you found as deficient in these saws also.

I have the Grizzly G0691 and love it. But it's not quite in the same league of the General 650R, or the SS PCS. But at half the price, it is one heck of a saw. I think I've said this before, if I had had 3k plus to spend on a saw, it would have been a tough decision between the General 650R and the SS PCS. I still like the General better, but the safety feature of the SS might have won out. They are both nice saws. Now, if I had a budget of 7 to 10k, there are several Euro sliders I could have fallen in love with. ;) But those weren't a reality for me. I love my 691, and it will probably be my last table saw purchase...unless I happen to decide to purchase a lottery ticket, and it's a big winner. :D

Oh, and someone get that used 691 if nothing's wrong with it. That would be a steal!! If I was close, I might get it to have two of them, and sell my contractor saw!!! Jim.

Van Huskey
11-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the General 350-650Rs are in the 3,000.00 range, as is the SS PCS, and the new Unisaw offering. PM 2000 is what, 2600.00 or so? Don't know about the Jets. Sliders?? I'd love to have one. Not sure you can find a good Euro slider used in the 3,000.00 range, much less 2,000.00.

The non-sale prices for 3hp 50-52" rip saws are:

PM2000 2799
General 2999
SS PCS 2999
Delta 3299

All of them except the Sawstop can be gotten cheaper. The best price you can "take to the bank" on the 4 is the Powermatic "Rewind" sale 4 days after T-Day where the 50" PM2000 3HP saw will be 2399 with free liftgate shipping. The Delta is on sale now for 2999 with a free trim router (was cheaper last weekend) and Tools-plus has a Millineum Edition of the General 650 for 2699. To my mind there is nothing really worth looking at in cabinet saws between the value priced Grizzlies and these 4 saws except MAYBE the Jet Xacta saws but I don't think they are worth the extra $800 or so bucks.

Terry Starch
12-09-2010, 5:48 AM
Hello everyone. I want to thank all of you who comented on this subject. My father and I still have not bought a new tablesaw. My father wants to buy localy to support the local business. We live 10 minutes from a great place called Hartville Hardware. We have been looking at the brands they sell. Powermatic, Delta, General, jet, Sawstop, and steel city. Ill be honest, im not sure what I didnt like about the saws we have looked at. I think it might be that I want to make the right choice. Now that I have read all these posts I am going to take another look. Once again, Thanks so much.

John Coloccia
12-09-2010, 7:51 AM
There's a 3HP SawStop PCS for sale in the classifieds right now. If you're anywhere in the area, it's not a smoking deal by any means, but it may be enough to sway you.

George Bregar
12-09-2010, 8:23 AM
Look at used saws. For the 2 grand you maybe able to find an older PM or Delta with fence etc in mint condition. You should be able to find one at half the cost. I have an '02 and it included a mobile base...$1K.

Bill Blackburn
12-09-2010, 8:53 AM
Buy used!

You'll save a lot of dinero, and be able to sell later, if you want, without loosing your shirt. For example, I bought and sold my unisaw at the same price. With a new machine, you loose about half it's value right away.

Just my opinion.

That's what I did ...again. This time it was maybe the best score yet when I picked up a General 650 for $750 US. Still shiny as the day it was delivered to previous owner.
The hardest part of buying used is the timimg of course - we nearly all know at some point we have bought a tool and a day, week or month later stumbled into the same item at a fraction of what we paid. When it happens to me I sometimes can't sleep so well that night as most of what I buy is usually either impulsive or last minute for something I knew a month before I would be needing.:(

All the saws mentioned are mighty fine saws. I have yet to play with a euro unit as the prices are pretty steep for the use I put on one but in my dreams I have one. That said - I love the chit out of this General and for the price I paid I also doubt it will ever leave my shop

Bill

Prashun Patel
12-09-2010, 9:07 AM
Honestly, all of the cabinet saws from the brands you mentioned available locally get good reviews by their users. Sure, there's probably a 'best' saw out there, but if buying locally is yr big driver, just pick the one that feels and is priced right. You probably won't have to upgrade.

For me, the most important features in a saw are:

riving knife /guard easy to remove and install
smooth and accurate fence
good dust collection

Budget yrself another $150 for a good miter gauge or crosscut sled.

Steve H Graham
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
For me, it would be either Sawstop or used. No further consideration necessary. I got a Powermatic 66 with the long Biesemeyer pro rails, plus 8 triple-chipped blades, for $500. Right now a beautiful nearly new Powermatic is listed on the local Craigslist for $650. If I were going to blow two grand, I'd expect to get something really good in return for the extra money, and Sawstop safety is the only thing that impresses me enough to make me want to spend the cash.

Van Huskey
12-09-2010, 12:05 PM
For me, it would be either Sawstop or used. No further consideration necessary.

Assuming the reasoning behind only getting a SS if buying new is based on safety I would point out that buying most any new cabinet saw gets you a riving knife which is arguably a more important safety device than even the SS brake. In the end there is nothing wrong with used at all but all new UL listed table saws have the riving knife as a distinct advantage of a new saw over the vast majority of used saws since used saws with riving knives are still pretty rare to see for sale.

Don Bullock
12-09-2010, 12:18 PM
At 2000 it was probably the SS contractor saw which does not impress me either. Time to stretch the budget a bit, who ever spends what they originally set as a budget anyways.

Phil

I agree with Phillip. The The SawStop® 110V, 1.75HP 10" Professional Cabinet Saw looks like a good choice. They seem to run $2299, only $299 over your budget.

Ken Masco
12-09-2010, 12:55 PM
After 18 years of using a (very well tuned) contractors saw I finally upgraded to the Grizzly 0691 last Christmas. I couldn't be happier. I was considering the new Delta but choked on the almost $3,000 price tag. I'm thinking the delta is a tiny bit of a better saw but can't imagine it truly being worth $1700 more than the Grizzly. It's quiet, powerful, accurate with nice beefy wheels. I expect it to be the last saw I ever own.

Mike Shields
12-15-2010, 8:32 PM
You haven't stated your location...

...there's a used SS for sale on Denver's CL.

Not my cup of tea.

Terry Starch
12-15-2010, 11:52 PM
The thing i was wondering about the saw stop is if you have to buy their blades for the system to work? Thanks again for all the replies.

Dave MacArthur
12-16-2010, 12:09 AM
I have looked at steel city, general, saw stop brands. Not really impressed. I would like to spend no more than $2k.......

Saw Stop uses any 10" blade.
I'm kind of surprised at your quote above, and think you should maybe get set to be disappointed then. Saw Stop is almost universally acknowledged to be a very fine saw in design, fit, and finish, even without the brake. In any case, General and SS both are well above your $2k max price.

My advice is to purchase a Grizzly with riving knife, if looking for new. But, if you can wait a bit and spend some time looking, I would purchase used from CraigsList, looking for SawStop, PM2000, PM66, or Unisaw in that order. I bought a great 3HP PM66 for $1000, selling it now due to SS purchase (again on CL for $1600 , 5HP ICS).

As folks above have said, if you put your location in your profile, I'm sure someone would have posted the nearest "best" saw deal for you by now.

Van Huskey
12-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Saw Stop uses any 10" blade.
I'm kind of surprised at your quote above, and think you should maybe get set to be disappointed then. Saw Stop is almost universally acknowledged to be a very fine saw in design, fit, and finish, even without the brake. In any case, General and SS both are well above your $2k max price.

My advice is to purchase a Grizzly with riving knife, if looking for new. But, if you can wait a bit and spend some time looking, I would purchase used from CraigsList, looking for SawStop, PM2000, PM66, or Unisaw in that order. I bought a great 3HP PM66 for $1000, selling it now due to SS purchase (again on CL for $1600 , 5HP ICS).

As folks above have said, if you put your location in your profile, I'm sure someone would have posted the nearest "best" saw deal for you by now.

Dave speaketh wisdom. If you look at the General 650R, Powermatic PM2000, Delta Unisaw and Sawstop PCS and ICS and are not impressed you will not be impressed by any new cabinet saw especially the sub 2K range. If they don't excite you it is time to look at sliders from names like Felder, Minimax and Martin but be prepared to adjust your budget "slightly". There are great used deals but it takes time to find them.

Don Bullock
12-16-2010, 1:03 PM
The thing i was wondering about the saw stop is if you have to buy their blades for the system to work? Thanks again for all the replies.

Not at all. I just installed a new Forrest WWII on mine and it works great.

Chris Ricker
12-16-2010, 9:55 PM
Hey Terry, welcome to the Creek.
There is a lot of good advice from some very knowledgeable people on this forum and on this thread. I was in the same boat several years ago and with the help of some fellow creekers ended up buying the Grizzly GO651 with the 52" rails. It has been a very good choice for me as and has all of the features you were looking for. I see it on sale right now for $1795 plus shipping puts it at your door for less than 2k. At the time I bought mine the "new" Delta and the SawStop were not in production so they were not a option for me. If you would like to see the 651 in person, send me a private message and I'll be glad to show you the features. I am only 10 minutes away from Hartville Hardware too.
Best of luck with your decision.
CR

Terry Starch
12-18-2010, 5:12 AM
Im in Ohio. I have looked on our local craigslist and found nothing. All the ones on there around here seem to be really old.

Terry Starch
12-21-2010, 2:31 AM
After discussing the concerns in this thread, my father and I have decided to raise our funds to $3250. I have been looking at Jet saws. I purchased a Jet drum sander and am very happy with it. Were going to purchase the saw after the first of the year.

Jeff Miller
12-21-2010, 1:21 PM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Heavy-Duty-Cabinet-Table-Saw-With-Riving-Knife/G0651

JEFF

Matt Day
12-21-2010, 2:26 PM
I'm sure the Jet is a great saw and will serve you well. But I tink you can do just as good if not better for less money (above Griz for instance).

If supporting the local economy is indeed a big issue for you and you'll be paying MSRP, then maybe the Jet is the right call. You'll be happy with any of the choices.

Joe Leigh
12-21-2010, 2:54 PM
After discussing the concerns in this thread, my father and I have decided to raise our funds to $3250. I have been looking at Jet saws. I purchased a Jet drum sander and am very happy with it. Were going to purchase the saw after the first of the year.
If your new budget is $3200, that puts you comfortably in the new Unisaw and SawStop PCS league.

If your heart is set on Jet check out the sale on Exacta Deluxe 36" & 50" models at Toolzone. Free delivery and residential lift gate service for $2100.00

http://www.toolzone.com/acatalog/info_WMH708676PK.html

John Dowell
01-13-2011, 9:19 PM
Hi Jim,
I seen on a few of your posts that you use G0691. I have been considering buyiny a Grizzly G1023rlx. What is the difference between the two saws

Cary Falk
01-13-2011, 9:53 PM
Hi Jim,
I seen on a few of your posts that you use G0691. I have been considering buyiny a Grizzly G1023rlx. What is the difference between the two saws

The G0690 has a Asian made Leeson motor, new fence, and 3 belts.
The G1023rl has Grizzly mortor,single belt, shop fox classic fence and a blade dust shroud

Terry Starch
01-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Well everyone we finally purchased a new saw. Its a Jet Xacta JTAS-10XL50-5/1. It will be delivered on febuary 1st. I want to thank everyone for all the replies to my thread. Everyone was very helpfull. Once again thanks, Terry