PDA

View Full Version : Question About Bosch Router

Jim Guy
12-29-2004, 6:16 AM
About 18 months ago when I purchased my Jet Cabinet saw I got the package that included the Bosch 2 1/4 hp #1617EVS router in the extension table. Last night when I hit the switch it acted as if it had no power at all. Tried another outlet just to be sure and still nothing. There were no signs of a problem prior to this.

I'm 30 miles east of Cincinnati and that seems to be where the closest service center is. 45 minutes each way, then parts and labor. I saw it on the AllPro Tool site for a little over $200.

Any advice would be helpful. Repair or pitch? Anyone know of a better price?

For the time being I put my PC690 under the table which is not a variable speed and it's a little scary to me.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Singer
12-29-2004, 7:35 AM
The Bosch is a great router. I have 2 of that model one plunges and one fixed base . One is variable speed and one is not. No problems at all! Just smooth power. It is probably something simple like the cord or switch. Have it repaired.

Arnie Grammon
12-29-2004, 8:01 AM
If you do go new, the Hitachi m12v is a great router for the money....plenty of power, etc, and one of the better choices for under the table.

As Mark said, I'd fiddle with the Bosch a little bit more first though. Start with the simple things first. Good luck.

AG

Steve Jenkins
12-29-2004, 8:27 AM
Try calling the service center and see if you can make an appointment to have them look at it while you wait. If that's too much trouble and you buy something new i will pay the ups to send it to me.:>)

Steve Evans
12-29-2004, 8:38 AM
Jim

I don't own the Bosch, and thus have no direct experience, but I believe I recall some posts either on this forum or another, regarding switch problems with this router. I believe it might be due to dust accumulation, and easily fixed, but again this is just from my own rather poor memory. I would look into it before driving a couple of hours to take it back.

Steve

Mark Blumer
12-29-2004, 10:15 AM
I have the Bosch 1617EVS. I love it. However, I have been plagued by the magnesium corrosion problem. They have replaced or repaired the machine for me 3 times. The last time, I just took it in to the authorized repair center and the guy there didn't blink...he just handed me a brand new unit. He did not ask how long I had the router or make any comments about the warranty period. I'm not sure but I think the new machine he gave me is the aluminum replacement that is designed to eliminate the corrosion issue.

I have found Bosch tools to be excellent performers (second only to Festool), and the company is excellent about standing behind the product when there is a problem. I recommend that you take the router to the repair station and I bet they will repair it at no cost.

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Jay Knepper
12-29-2004, 10:36 AM
I agree with Steve; others have reported that the switch on these routers tends to get dirty and fail. Try cleaning it out.

I've had no problems with my 2+ year old unit.

Alan Tolchinsky
12-29-2004, 12:09 PM
I agree with Steve; others have reported that the switch on these routers tends to get dirty and fail. Try cleaning it out.

I've had no problems with my 2+ year old unit.

I just took out the switch and took it apart. It was full of saw dust and I mean full. It was easy to take apart and clean and has worked perfectly since. And I do have the corrosion problem.:(

Greg Mann
12-29-2004, 2:14 PM
I just took out the switch and took it apart. It was full of saw dust and I mean full. It was easy to take apart and clean and has worked perfectly since. And I do have the corrosion problem.:(
Same here. MDF did my switch in. Took it apart and cleaned it. I packed foam around the switch to keep the dust out. It's a nice router but the switch is marginal at best. A half hour investment can save you some money. Ironically, I did not have the corrosion problem UNTIL I waxed the body. I don't know if that was coincidental or not.

Greg

Alan Turner
12-29-2004, 5:10 PM
Me 3 on a switch cleaning. A shot of compressed air, and good to go.
Alan

Jim Guy
01-10-2005, 5:28 PM
All of you were right who said get the Bosch repaired. It took the service center almost 2 weeks but I got it back today. They had to replace the switch which only cost me $25.00 and they replaced the casing for FREE

Thanks for all your input.

Dale Thompson
01-10-2005, 9:16 PM
Me 3 on a switch cleaning. A shot of compressed air, and good to go.
Alan

Alan,
I'm with you on the compressed air thing. I've got both Bosch routers mentioned and have had no problems with the plunge. However, my "fixed" router is in the table saw extension. I shoot it with a bit of compressed air every so often and have had no problems. :) :)

Dale T.