PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen cabinet books

Rick Davidson
11-15-2010, 10:03 PM
I am starting to think about building my first set of kitchen cabinets. I am looking for a good book to guide me along the way and I am just looking for suggestions on what book.

Thanks

Roger Jensen
11-15-2010, 10:06 PM
You can search this forum and find some similar posts about kitchen cabinet books. I like The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker by Robert Lang. It covers both frameless and face frame construction.

Here is a thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1497895

Roger

frank shic
11-16-2010, 1:10 AM
after purchasing almost all the books on cabinetry on the market, my favorite one is still the danny proulx book which actually gives you cut lists for the common widths and covers the construction of both face framed and frameless cabinets.

the one by lang isn't bad either and has a nice little section on doing beaded frames although i could do without the chiseling at the end of the routing process. in truth, you can get something from almost any book on the subject: jim tolpin shows a bunch of jigs that you can use, udo schmidt shows how to construct false mullion glass doors...

Jim Rimmer
11-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Just download Matt Meiser's brain (or look at his kitchen cabinet posts). :D

Seriously, no book suggestions but take a look at Matt's thread on his kitchen project.

Rick Davidson
11-16-2010, 7:50 PM
Just download Matt Meiser's brain (or look at his kitchen cabinet posts). :D

Seriously, no book suggestions but take a look at Matt's thread on his kitchen project.

Yes I have look at at it. Very nice kitchen and excellent thread

Matt Meiser
11-16-2010, 8:34 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. :o

A kitchen cabinet is very easy to build. What's hard is building 16-20 kitchen cabinets. In other words, the trick is getting organized. I used a few Excel spreadsheets, Sketchup, and Cutlist Plus to keep myself organized from an information point of view. I can dig out the spreadsheets if you want them but I'll tell you right now I know they contain some errors and honestly you are better off going through the thought process.

There's things I'd do different but I followed a pretty standard construction method, with the main exception being that I used all 3/4" backs to simplify things and it worked out well. One year later its still holding up nicely.

If you are looking for ideas, I found most of the books to be kind of dated. We started planning our own kitchen last spring and went to just about every kitchen showroom we could and picked up a lot of literature. We also did a lot of looking on cabinet company web sites, both the big companies and small shops.

Doug Carpenter
11-16-2010, 8:53 PM
I like Jim Tolpin's book "Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets".

I like the system he uses for building the cases.

It's not the end all be all but it is worth a browse.

Lex Boegen
11-16-2010, 9:02 PM
I am starting to think about building my first set of kitchen cabinets. I am looking for a good book to guide me along the way and I am just looking for suggestions on what book.

Thanks

Considering the huge expense in time and materials for doing a kitchen, I've bought a lot of kitchen cabinet books. They all have something to offer. Bob Lang's book is probably my favorite, but I figure if I get one good idea from a book (that costs about as much as one good drawer slide), then it's money well spent. Let's face it, buying three or four books is peanuts compared to the cost of the rest of the kitchen.

Lex Boegen
11-16-2010, 9:08 PM
I like Jim Tolpin's book "Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets".

I like the system he uses for building the cases.

It's not the end all be all but it is worth a browse.

He's also got a good article on building "hybrid" cabinets--frameless cabinets with a face frame (that sits flush with the interior of the cabinets, so standard frameless hardware can be used. It was in Fine Homebuilding 74, pp. 74-78 (also available on Fine Homebuilding's web site, but a subscription is required.)

Mike Goetzke
11-16-2010, 9:33 PM

Thanks
I just started my cabinets about two weeks ago. I've been looking over books and planning for almost a year while I did tear down and re-construction of the room. Here are the books I like:

Building Kitchen Cabinets - Udo Schmidt
Build Your Own Kitchen Cabinets - Danny Proulx
The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker - Bob Lang

Software - Cabinet Planner

Mike