PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready for the Trip to Ken’s

Baxter Smith
11-15-2010, 9:02 PM
With the trip to Ken Hill’s woodlot fast approaching (and the 18 wheeler fueled up and ready to go;)) I thought I should clean out some space in my woodpile.
Didn’t bother to clean up 2 nights in a row!:D
This summer I cut a dead maple then left it in the woods to spalt buried in shavings. This is after I dug it out.
Brought it back to Delaware a couple weeks ago.
Three days ago I turned a piece and found that it had some of the (dreaded white rot:eek::().
Had planned on letting it spalt some more and turning it at my leisure over the next couple months but it would only be getting worse, (and I needed to make room!:D)
Roughed out some bowls, lids, turned some thin, and even cored a few sets. Minus one.
This is what happens when you use the number three knife on a oneway coring system with the spacing block for the number 2 knife. (Yes, I labeled it wrong). Guess you call it a miscue or in this case a miscore.
The bowls are in the bag (ended up with more 10-12’s than 13-14s), and the rest is in trash barrels waiting for the trip to the stables. I still need more room so lets see how long it takes me to mess it up again!

Ken Hill
11-15-2010, 9:04 PM
haha you might be to tired to do much! Well, I'll drag a stump over for ya to sit on:p

David E Keller
11-15-2010, 9:06 PM
Man, that pile of shavings looks like fun! Too bad about the white rot, but it sounds like you've got plenty to turn even with some losses.:D

Baxter Smith
11-15-2010, 9:08 PM
haha you might be to tired to do much! Well, I'll drag a stump over for ya to sit on:p
Thanks, I'll bring my cushion and a cooler too!

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2010, 9:51 PM
Well that load on the 18 wheeler ought to keep ya turning a day or two anyway Baxter.:eek::D

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Baxter,
What's the gray accessory mounted on the end of your lathe, I see it articulates but looks like a strange place for a hollowing set up.

faust

charlie knighton
11-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Baxtor, you must have quite a collection of treasure maps to keep track of all your treasures :D

Baxter Smith
11-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Man, that pile of shavings looks like fun! Too bad about the white rot, but it sounds like you've got plenty to turn even with some losses.:D
It is kind of fun to crank it up and watch those 1/2'+ shavings fly! The maples done, but there's still plenty of small apple and holly to occupy me for a couple of days.:)

Well that load on the 18 wheeler ought to keep ya turning a day or two anyway Baxter.:eek::D
It should Bernie! Just hope Ken has plenty of gas for that tractor/loader of his!;)

Baxter,
What's the gray accessory mounted on the end of your lathe, I see it articulates but looks like a strange place for a hollowing set up.

faust
Faust, after I started turning bowls last winter I started to see the drawbacks of only having 12 inches of swing on my delta/rockwell lathe. The lathe had the capability to turn outboard so I built a outboard stand for it. I don't know how to add the link to it, but if you search for this title you may find it. Outboard Tool Rest Finished– Now how big a motor? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=132882)
When I picked up the powermatic this summer I switched it over. The gray thing is a part of that rest. You just have to drop the post in. I have yet to turn anything over 20" yet so haven't needed it. Just wanted to be ready!;) I do have a spruce burl that I will be putting on it after Christmas. Just need to haul it back from Maine.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-16-2010, 8:43 AM
Thanks for the explanation. You're an inventive guy. Have fun wood hunting.
faust

bob svoboda
11-16-2010, 8:50 AM
You right coast guys have all the fun. Enjoy! (at the present cost of diesel, you better score big-time:D)

Ken Hill
11-16-2010, 8:57 PM
The Deere is ready for ya! I have a piece of maple it cant pick up:eek: And there is always the loader here from them logging..muahahaha!

Baxter Smith
11-16-2010, 10:23 PM
You right coast guys have all the fun. Enjoy! (at the present cost of diesel, you better score big-time:D)
Bob, I plan on it!:D Enjoying that is!:)

Baxtor, you must have quite a collection of treasure maps to keep track of all your treasures :D
No, but I need one for all these rough outs I have strewn around!:)

The Deere is ready for ya! I have a piece of maple it cant pick up:eek: And there is always the loader here from them logging..muahahaha!
Hope the logging loader is still there! If I have to bring my 49 Farmall with its trip bucket loader(guess you need a real tractor;))I can't haul nearly as much wood back!:eek::D

Ken Hill
11-17-2010, 12:40 AM
LOL, my lil' Deere serves me well, she just ant got enough "back":D

Baxter, when you do arrive, just pull anywhere. You cant hurt a thing. I decided to drop a big River Sycamore that was next to teh front of the house and alreay made enough mess for everyone! Plenty of parking and turn around room!

Baxter Smith
11-17-2010, 9:26 PM
LOL, my lil' Deere serves me well, she just ant got enough "back":D

Baxter, when you do arrive, just pull anywhere. You cant hurt a thing. I decided to drop a big River Sycamore that was next to teh front of the house and alreay made enough mess for everyone! Plenty of parking and turn around room!

Ken I feel terrible! You didn't have to drop that big Sycamore in front of your house to protect it from me backing around with that 18 wheeler. Then again.....:eek::eek:... maybe I should just bring my van. I wasn't kidding about my tractor though.
It made it a one man job to get that 3520 out of the van a couple months ago. So as long as I don't get a bowl blank that weighs more than my lathe, I should be ok.
I'm not coming for the wood anyway. I think you mentioned snacks?:)

Ken Hill
11-18-2010, 5:30 AM
No worries on the food, and it appears the weather will be mild!

When we finally move to the last place i will ever live, I intend on restoring several old tractors. I grew up and learned to operate a Model B Deere with a hand clutch....while the farmer was behind me as we dug potatoes. After a summer of running his equipment (I was 12) my dad did not have an issue with me running the new fancy stuff on our farm (Deere 4440 and similiar)

They actually gave me that Model B on my 16th B-day, but when the barn caught fire it was destroyed:(

Im pretty stoked, I hope to learn alot about how you cut blanks and such as well as any advice I can gather from those that make the trip. The internet is a trove of learning info, but nothing beats a few minutes in person.

I am going to try and drop a big cherry today or tomorrow and get it to the wood lot. It poured here yesterday so if the hillside dries up its on my "to do : list. If it doesnt happen, I foresee another meeting of creekers in the early spring haha. I am also taking my saw with me to bear camp, there are throw away logs in the timbering areas, big burls etc that are just rotting!