PDA

View Full Version : Finish on Black Science Table Tops?

Dee Gallo
11-15-2010, 8:52 PM
Does anyone here know what kind of finish is on those black science tables they use in science classrooms? They have rock maple legs and some kind of composite tops. I have some we bought at auction I use for work tables and would like to restore the finish which has been worn-cut-sanded-abraded away over the years. The original surface was kind of shiny, but not very.

Thanks for any info or suggestions you might have for refinishing them, dee

Joe Chritz
11-16-2010, 4:43 AM
If it is composite it is likely to be some kind of laminate like Formica or the like. I would expect it was probably laid up that way when it was manufactured.

I would probably just use another top on it as a refinish. That could be a sacrificial top like Masonite or another layer of Formica or similar laminate.

ETA: You can install a laminate surface on another by sanding the existing so it is roughed up and using contact cement. Opinions vary on the wisdom of this but I know it is done often and haven't heard many bad reports if it is done correctly.

Joe

Mike Davis NC
11-16-2010, 6:49 AM
We have some of those in the lab at work.

The finish is epoxy or bakelite, about the only thing you can do is sand it with automotive wet&dry sandpaper 400, 600, 800 and then buff it out like you would a car.

Dee Gallo
11-16-2010, 7:03 AM
Thanks, Mike! So you think the finish is actually just the slab buffed out? That would be great news! Thanks so much!

:D Dee

Jason Fastenau
11-16-2010, 2:41 PM
I used to just buff mine when I was a science teacher. The tops are a chemically resistant composite block, (at least for the good ones), and shouldn't be coated with anything ideally. I've seen people varnish them, but I personally think they look better just buffed.

Dee Gallo
11-16-2010, 4:44 PM
Thanks, Jason, that's exactly what I needed - someone with experience!

cheers, dee

Lonnie Cook
11-16-2010, 5:26 PM
Hi Dee -

Don't know the age of your tables, but the surface of many OLD lab tables was soapstone. Pretty much impervious to everything, except abrasion. Usually deep charcoal gray / near black; sometimes with veins of color. It can be sanded and buffed to remove cuts and dull spots. Wipe mineral oil on it periodically to bring it to life. The classic schedule for applying and buffing mineral oil was ... Once a day for a week; Once a week for a month; Once a month for a year; Once a year for life.

Good luck,

- Lonnie

Dee Gallo
11-17-2010, 8:08 AM
Hi Lonnie,

These tables are probably about 20 years old, not soapstone. But thanks for the schedule, it might come in handy one day for something else!

cheers, dee

Shawn Pixley
11-17-2010, 9:30 AM
They are most probably an epoxy casting. Sand / buff it out and coat with oil / wax to your preference.

Jamie Buxton
11-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Another material that has been used for that purpose is Richlite. It is somewhat like Formica in that it is a laminate of paper and resin. What's different from Formica is that the whole tabletop thickness is Richlite, and it is the same color throughout. Unlike Formica, it can be buffed, or even resanded, to freshen the surface. Woodworking tools machine it quite well.

Trace Beard
11-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Fire Slate has been used in chemistry labs for a long, long time. Google fireslate and you can read about it. The company is still in business and has one of the worst website I have seen.

Dee Gallo
11-18-2010, 8:44 PM
Thank you everyone! I will sand and buff, seems like that is the best and simplest solution.

:) dee