PDA

View Full Version : New LV Vise

Dave Schwarzkopf
11-15-2010, 5:17 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=66819&cat=51&ap=1

Looks wicked easy to install and quite useful. And look at that price! I think I want to buy 6 of 'em just in case. Looks like another winner Mr. Lee.

Chen-Tin Tsai
11-15-2010, 5:33 PM
Whoa, that's cool. It's kinda like an easy install wagon vise. Now, if they'd offer a crank handle option... Or, perhaps a bigger one with 8-10" of travel with a 1" screw... :D

Chris Griggs
11-15-2010, 5:36 PM
Chris Schwarz talks about it in his new workbench book. Apparently, he got to try out a prototype. He said good things about. I like that the movable stop/dog has a 1/2 profile as opposed to the 5/8 like on the wonder pups and the surface vise. I'd actually prefer a 3/8 profile as I do a lot of work in 1/2" material. I wonder how hard it would to make one's own dogs in various heights for this thing?

Chris Griggs
11-15-2010, 5:36 PM
I think Schwarz also said the movement on it is faster than on the wonder dogs.

Andrew Gibson
11-15-2010, 6:06 PM
Chris Schwarz talks about it in his new workbench book. Apparently, he got to try out a prototype. He said good things about. I like that the movable stop/dog has a 1/2 profile as opposed to the 5/8 like on the wonder pups and the surface vise. I'd actually prefer a 3/8 profile as I do a lot of work in 1/2" material. I wonder how hard it would to make one's own dogs in various heights for this thing?

If I was reading it right, the discription says you can make custom dogs and attach them with #10 bolts.

I am definitely interested in one of these for my next bench.

Chuck Tringo
11-15-2010, 6:46 PM
Luckily there is no intro price so no hurry to rush and buy it....but i can definitely see one of these in my future.

Chris Griggs
11-15-2010, 7:08 PM
If I was reading it right, the discription says you can make custom dogs and attach them with #10 bolts.

I am definitely interested in one of these for my next bench.

I think that's referring to the face of the removable dog, so that you can add a custom jaw to its face (see the pic in the top right corner it's webpage). However, looking at its design it can be hard to come up with an entire dog.

It looks like you could just put a couple of prongs/dowels at the bottom of a dog and fit them into each pair of holes.

One of these could be in my future real soon as well. I'm in the middle of a bench build and was going to use a quick release as the end vise but this thing is pretty cool.

Mark Baldwin III
11-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Starting this week, I am building a new bench. This little guy might just come in handy. I haven't decided on a tail vise for my new bench yet, and now there's another option. Suddenly I remember that car commercial I heard, "I love decisions, you can't be indecisive without them!"

Brian Ashton
11-16-2010, 3:48 AM
I made a copy of their carving bench years back. I can see that as being an excellent addition. I like the wonder dogs but this looks much better at least for square stock

Todd Hyman
11-16-2010, 10:03 PM
I was thinking about getting the surface vise,

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=63825&cat=1,41659

But now i think this one maybe in my future. Anyone here have experience with the surface vise?

Jack Camillo
11-17-2010, 4:44 AM
LV's innovation in tools and accessories is marvelous

Kevin Fitzsimons
11-17-2010, 8:13 AM
I saw this at the Woodworking in America expo in KY. It's really nicely made. I couldn't believe the price they set - very reasonable. I'm going to build one into a wall mounted small bench.

Chris Griggs
11-17-2010, 10:16 PM
For anyone already in the process of designing a bench with this vise, I just created and uploaded a Sketchup model of it here (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=veritas+inset+vise&styp=m&btnG=Search)

Now I'm no Sketchup guru but by following the product description I think I got most of the basic measurements/proportions right.

Now if I could just learn to actually build something in the real world...:)

Jon van der Linden
11-18-2010, 10:22 AM
This little dog looks like a machinist's vise that's been sunk into a bench.

If you only use short flat workpieces, then this will work fine for you, but that's not me. Since I work with more complex shapes, I also need dogs that can extend and hold work higher up from the table.

This vise will certainly fill a need, but it's not a replacement for something with full length dogs.