PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt RAS --Looking to buy one, need quality/price help

Dave MacArthur
11-15-2010, 5:11 PM
Radial Arm Saw fans,
After the various RAS threads this month, I got a bit interested in having one set up for cross cutting. I've found this DeWalt RAS, without a stand, supposedly in good shape.
1. Is it a good RAS? I know nothing about brands but have heard the old DeWalt models are good. How bout this one?
2. What's a good price for this without a stand, I can get it for $100 or less
3. How much work is it to build a stand/mount this thing--I'm not sure what torque the stand takes, assuming I could just plop it into a bench?
4. If this isn't a decent saw, what brand/model should I be shopping for on CL for RAS?
5. How much room along a wall do I really need for this to be useful?

Thanks! And yes, the compelling arguments of the RAS crowd changed my mind... Your help appreciated ;)

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Root/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pnghttp://images.craigslist.org/3k43p73lb5W65U45X1abf464701176f281a89.jpg

and here's another one for $25:
http://images.craigslist.org/3nb3ka3ma5T45W05R5abc73a805488c121906.jpg

Jake Elkins
11-15-2010, 6:01 PM
Dave -

I have that Dewalt 1350 you show, I bought mine off CL two years ago, also sans stand. I built a big beefy stand with construction lumber, plopped a good -5° hook crosscutting blade, and for about 120 total invested, I am very happy. I had looked for over a year for a good local RAS, really wanting one of the vintage round-arm Dewalts or older Delta/Red-Star ones. After missing out on a few deals, I decided that for 30 bucks, I have little to lose. I know that the old-arn buffs will note that this is a B&D product, and not as good as the older ones, but I am not sure what could be better. After dialing the thing in, it has stayed in perfect alignment. The arm is cast iron, the travel is nice (about 13" with my fence pushed forward a bit). It crosscuts 10/4 whit oak without issue. The only thing I do not like is the manual brake, but this is standard on many of the older RASs. I have mine pushed up right against a wall, with a plywood cage in the back funneled into a trash can under the stand for dust collection. This has been my favorite recent tool acquisition. While still I search for an older RAS, it is because I would like one with a dedicated dado setup. I haven't used my CMS since I bought this, and likely never will again. I don't know much about the newer saw you have pictured, but I couldn't be happier with the R-1350. A hundred seems a little steep, but mine was worth every bit of the 30 I paid.

Dave MacArthur
11-15-2010, 6:34 PM
Thanks Jake, and thanks for making your first post so informative--I appreciate it!

Steve Peterson
11-15-2010, 6:58 PM
I have one like the top picture that came with a stand. It's a 1963 Powershop 1400 with many similar looking features.

The stand is nothing special, just 4 pieces of heavy bent metal and some cross bracing. The lower box on the saw provides most of the rigidity.

I see nothing wrong with your idea of just plopping it down on a bench. Even better would be to set it into a bench that has a cutout about 6 inches deep and 30 inches wide to hold the saw.

Steve

Jack Pinkham
11-15-2010, 9:22 PM
A good forum for Dewalt and Black and Decker radial arm saws is: http://forums.delphiforums.com/woodbutcher/messages

I have had a B&D 1450 PowerShop for a long time, mainly gathering dust until last year. I recently aligned it using the procedures in "Fine Tuning Your Radial Arm Saw", by John Eakes. and put a new top on. I've found some of the accessories on EBAY such as the saber saw, and a Safety Planer. I've built a few miter jigs. A Forrest dado set from CL has been useful. A thin kerf rip blade is a good investment.