PDA

View Full Version : Molded tool cases

John Gregory
11-15-2010, 4:33 PM
I have several molded tool cases from the tools that I have purchased during the past few years. Since I have a shop, I never use the tool cases and they are taking up some valuable space. Is there any value in these cases to others? I don't know whether to sell them for a couple of bucks, give them to good will or put them in the recycle can.

What have you done with your unused tool cases?

Thanks

Jon McElwain
11-15-2010, 5:33 PM
I have taken some of them and cut all the molding out to make tool boxes with. The blow molded ones not so great for it (can be used if cut right), but some of the others only have dividers. I used a Fein multi tool to cut out the dividers on a couple of Dewalt and Makita cases. Now the Makita case is in the trunk of my car with some emergency tools, the one Dewalt holds a pile of Festool table accessories, and another Dewalt holds accessories for the lathe. Otherwise, I have had people pay a few bucks ($10-$15 if I recall) for the blow molded cases on craigslist.

Jim Rimmer
11-15-2010, 5:33 PM
Check this link for lots of ideas: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135220&highlight=molded+cases

Personally, I have my stored because I know if I throw them away or give them away, I'll need them soon. I was just thinking about this subject this oast week as I contemplate the lack of room in my shop.

Will Overton
11-15-2010, 5:57 PM
I store mine, out of the shop, for the occasional working road trip or for the next person to get the tool. I prefer to keep tools in cabinets or drawers for easy access.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/Bill_de/cordless-open.jpg?t=1289861549 http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/Bill_de/router-closet---open.jpg?t=1289861599 http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/Bill_de/12v-bosch.jpg?t=1289861735

Festool things get to keep their Systainers.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/Bill_de/Festool-Open.jpg?t=1289861458

John Gregory
11-15-2010, 6:22 PM
Thanks for the link. It was very interesting. I will go through mine, see if I can re-purpose any, those I can't will go in the recycle bin.

Check this link for lots of ideas: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=135220&highlight=molded+cases

Personally, I have my stored because I know if I throw them away or give them away, I'll need them soon. I was just thinking about this subject this oast week as I contemplate the lack of room in my shop.

Bill Huber
11-15-2010, 6:27 PM
I am like Jim, I just did not want to dump them because I knew I would want them at some point.

We that point a few weeks ago, I had to go out of town and needed to take a bunch of tools with me, so there were the cases and it made it very nice.

Now I store them over the garage, they are light but take up a lot of room.

Ron Jones near Indy
11-15-2010, 7:33 PM
I put empty cases in the attic and get them down when I sell, give away or loan (infrequently) the tool. Oh, yes--I keep the old B&D circular saw and Craftsman jig saw close at all times. Those are the ones that get loaned at any time. A neighbor who borrowed the C'man jig saw said "I don't see you use that one much". My reply, "Yeah, I know". I keep the Bosch out of sight.:rolleyes:

David Hostetler
11-15-2010, 7:39 PM
FWIW, to me at least, a tool case is a plus. It helps me keep all the accessories for the tool close and organized, and it keeps things a LOT less messy with things like cords and such. I guess it is personal preference...

Jon McElwain
11-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Just saw this while cruising the web... Maybe the systaner type box will be the new standard?

Don Jarvie
11-16-2010, 9:11 AM
John, put a list in the Classifieds. If you have something I need I would gladly pay the shipping.

I like to keep everything in the case so they don't get bumped around in cabinents, etc.

Frank Drew
11-16-2010, 9:30 AM
They do take up room, but as others have mentioned they're great if you ever take your tools on the road.

Bill White
11-16-2010, 9:57 AM
Will has entirely too many of everything. Just count the routers. I only have 3. WAHHHHHHHH!!
Bill ;)

Fred Belknap
11-16-2010, 10:20 AM
I find them useful to keep the tool in. About all tools come with attachments and tools so it is a place to keep it all together. I try to leave the manual in the box also. Biggest problem I have is getting the cord back in the box.:D

John Coloccia
11-16-2010, 10:40 AM
My shed has an attic, and they all go up there. When I get a tool, I rip it apart, toss the case and junk up in the shed. If it comes with a soft case, I toss it in the trash. I throw everything out these days. I have limited room to store a million soft cases, and no time or patience to organize anything. So either in the attic, or in the trash.

As of yet, I've not once ever needed any of those cases. I don't travel with my tools, though. If I did, it'd be different.

Jonathan Spool
11-16-2010, 12:02 PM
If the case is only for the tool itself, and the tool doesn't have a slew off accessories that go with it, the box is mothballed. However, if the tool comes along with many attachments etc. I prefer to keep it all together in the box. My Festool OF2200 has so many accessories, it comes with a second box!

Dan Hintz
11-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Put them all in one of those space-age vacuum bags and hook up the shop vac... they'll take up less room that way :D

Ben Hatcher
11-16-2010, 1:19 PM
Cutting the insides out and using it in the car is a great idea. Mine are all stacked in the corner, empty, awaiting my next move. I used to keep my tools in them in the cabinet, but found they took up way too much space when I got the tool out to use.

Mike Cross
11-16-2010, 8:21 PM
I would be interested in Porter Cable cases for the BN125 Brad Nailer, FN250B Finish Nailer, and the NS100A Crown Stapler if any one has any they don't want or need. My set came with a soft bag for them and would prefer the molded cases for them.

Thanks
Mike

Rich Engelhardt
11-17-2010, 7:02 AM
Just saw this while cruising the web... Maybe the systaner type box will be the new standard?

Could very well be.

EU laws/regulations about recycling & packaging are getting tougher and tougher.

Festool packs their tools in a Systainer, in part, to work around/address their liability for packaging materials.

Jon McElwain
11-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Put them all in one of those space-age vacuum bags and hook up the shop vac... they'll take up less room that way.

Yeah, I don't even think my CT33 would handle that job! :eek:

Callan Campbell
11-17-2010, 1:32 PM
I put empty cases in the attic and get them down when I sell, give away or loan (infrequently) the tool. Oh, yes--I keep the old B&D circular saw and Craftsman jig saw close at all times. Those are the ones that get loaned at any time. A neighbor who borrowed the C'man jig saw said "I don't see you use that one much". My reply, "Yeah, I know". I keep the Bosch out of sight.:rolleyes:
Way too funny!!! :p:p:p

Jeremy Treibs
11-17-2010, 2:59 PM
I save my storage boxes for the most used power tools either in the shed or in the back behind my work bench (and store my tools in drawers or shelves). For ones I used infrequently I keep the tools in the plastic cases they came in but towards the front of my work bench.

Here is a tip. I have plastic cases that came with an amazing amount of extras inside. Trying to put them back in after I take them out somethings is difficult if not impossible. I like to take a picture of the insides before removing anything, print it out, and keep it with the case even if you remove everything (that way it is easier to put all the stuff back).

John Coloccia
11-17-2010, 3:54 PM
I save my storage boxes for the most used power tools either in the shed or in the back behind my work bench (and store my tools in drawers or shelves). For ones I used infrequently I keep the tools in the plastic cases they came in but towards the front of my work bench.

Here is a tip. I have plastic cases that came with an amazing amount of extras inside. Trying to put them back in after I take them out somethings is difficult if not impossible. I like to take a picture of the insides before removing anything, print it out, and keep it with the case even if you remove everything (that way it is easier to put all the stuff back).

Funny. When I was building radio controlled planes, it was amazing that you could take a stick....just a little 1/4" square piece of balsa wood, out of the box, put it right back in the box exactly how you found it, and the box wouldn't close properly anymore. Sure, building them can be a challenge at times, but i always thought a REAL challenge would be: here's a completed airplane...now take it apart and get it back in the box.

Doug Carpenter
11-17-2010, 8:41 PM
Ok now I see I have real issues.

Not only do I have the cases.......I have the boxes.

I just can't part with the boxes! I'll bet I have boxes for tools that died years ago.

You will see me on hoarders in a couple years. lol

Gary Curtis
11-17-2010, 8:52 PM
:)Why not sell the cases on eBay? I bought one there for a DeWalt 625 router because I happened to need it. A lot of buyers cruise eBay for this stuff.

I'm retired so my tools never travel. I generally have no need for cases myself. It is a shame for this sort of stuff to end up in a city landfill.